Gransnet forums

Education

Am I mad? PG study in my 50s

(100 Posts)
NannaBanana Wed 21-Mar-18 11:44:32

I’m attending a postgraduate open evening today. I’ve always enjoyed using my brain, and there is a course that really appeals to me. If it went well, there are strong indications it could be extended to a PhD. But I am old (late 50s). Am I deluding myself? Has anyone else here started a university course in their 50s or 60s? I’d love to hear your experience.

makemineajammiedodger Thu 21-Nov-19 09:08:58

Started my PhD at 52, did it part time over 6 years, so completed at 58. Now I will be Dr Jammiedodger for ever! Loved it!

GagaJo Sun 27-Oct-19 22:11:41

Not at all, NannaBanana! I have always wanted to do a PhD but can't while working (too much of a commitment) so may just do it at 60 (when I HOPE I'll be able to give up teaching).

If I don't go off and do my PhD I will be defo just do another degree instead. I LOVE writing essays and research.

Doodledog Sun 27-Oct-19 22:08:41

Congratulations, Shelmiss!

Anyone looking to wait until she is 60 should know that if you are 59 you qualify for a student loan to do a Masters, but not if you are 60 (despite pension age now being 66/67).

If you then don't earn a salary over £23k (or so, I'm a year or two out of touch) you effectively get your fees paid, whereas at 60 (or at any age if you already have a Masters) you have to finance the course yourself.

Shelmiss Tue 22-Oct-19 10:51:09

I’ve just found out I passed my Masters after starting it at age 55 on a 2 year course. So pleased and now looking to do a PhD starting next October, when I’ll be 58. Great thread!

GagaJo Sun 08-Sep-19 21:25:55

I'd always toyed with the idea of a PhD. Even know what I'll do it in. BUT as a F/T teacher, there is NO WAY I'll have the time. So. Maybe at 60.

Seems a bit daft when I'll no longer use it. But why not? If it gives me pleasure...

FC61 Sun 08-Sep-19 18:44:58

I did an MA aged 55/56 and found it both exciting and quite a struggle. I threw tantrums, sobbed, and my DH had to glue me back together again at various intervals. But I developed huge discipline ( for first time in life) and patience and learned to write academically and got a distinction. I’m thinking about doing a PhD but being bit lazy about it but have decided I won’t postpone it past 75 lol ! If I haven’t done it age 75 I won’t .

karen1962 Sat 24-Aug-19 09:16:02

Great idea. I have recently qualified in horticulture and wanting more learning now, the thing that puts me off HE is the cost of learning so I am looking at courses abroad

BradfordLass72 Sun 28-Jul-19 20:47:02

Am I mad? Am I deluding myself?

About what exactly? What you have described doing is what thousand do every day. confused

SalsaQueen Sun 28-Jul-19 18:56:19

I'm 60 and doing an Open University course. Do it!

Postgrad Sun 28-Jul-19 18:33:05

Just finished my pgce, age 57 after gaining MA 2 years ago

Wish I could take another degree, I love learning

NanKate Sat 01-Dec-18 18:13:28

I did my Certificate in Education in my mid 50s at Oxford Brooke’s. To my great surprise the younger students asked me to help them with their assignments.

My graduation day was one of the happiest of my life with my DH and DS looking on. ?‍?

Emmaline Sat 01-Dec-18 17:30:40

I did an OU course in law when I was in my 50's and thoroughly enjoyed it .. unfortunately I was suffering from a very bad back at the time which got progressively worse and it made it impossible to concentrate and I had to finish after the first year much to my regret.
I met some interesting people when I went to a meeting in Milton Keynes and had a quite unique experience.
You're never too old to do anything you want to IMO wink

gunsway Thu 30-Aug-18 19:57:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

chattykathy Wed 29-Aug-18 16:21:40

Congratulations NannaBanana Are over 60s entitled to student loans?

Richa94 Wed 29-Aug-18 09:07:54

First of all, we all are aware of the fact that learning has no age. So you should definitely go for it. If you look around you, you'll find many different examples of people who are followed and following their interest after reaching old age.

allsortsofbags Tue 22-May-18 21:40:04

Glad you are going for it. I'm sure you'll have moments when you love it and moments when you ask yourself why you are putting yourself through it :-) But it will be worth it in the end.

I didn't start my first degree until I was 40 + and have since done two MSc's.

I'd love to do my PhD but as I'm already retired I'm not sure I can justify the costs.

Enjoy :-)

Joelsnan Tue 22-May-18 21:27:14

I did my Masters in my 50's, enjoyed the learning process however I was in a full time job that required 'a lot of me' long hours, always on call so I found research difficult and I became a major procrastinator preferring to scrub the bottoms of pans to sitting and researching. When it came to doing my dissertation I found I had to go into work at the weekend with flask and sandwiches when no one else was there and I could sit in my office door closed no phone calls or emails (and no pans) and work a full two days each week so no real rest. I got to enjoy the research and philosophy by the end but was happy to pack up and send the dissertation and start living a little again. I did say to friends and family 'If I talk about PhD, give me a slap'!
Also, it cost me quite a lot of money.

Mapleleaf Tue 22-May-18 20:44:47

I’m so glad you have decided to go for it, NannaBanana.
You will have a brilliant time, I’m sure. Don’t forget, keep us up to date, and if you need a bit of moral support at any time during it, come back on here! ?

jessicagross Thu 03-May-18 08:02:36

I think it is amazing and you should go for it. You are doing this course to enhance your level of education.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Mar-18 23:54:09

flowers Well congratulations!

M0nica Tue 27-Mar-18 22:57:04

Hooray

Feelingmyage55 Tue 27-Mar-18 20:57:22

Of course you must update us. Please. Good luck.

varian Tue 27-Mar-18 20:52:33

Great news * NannaBanana* -I'm sure you'll be brilliant!

littleflo Tue 27-Mar-18 20:49:41

Well done,I wish you every success.?

NannaBanana Tue 27-Mar-18 20:41:16

Just a quick update to let you all know that I received my offer for the course today! I’m going to uni!