Gransnet forums

Education

DGD worried about her SATS

(45 Posts)
gillybob Sun 12-May-19 09:12:08

Like many others, my DGD2 (11) starts her SATS tomorrow and whilst she is usually very happy and confident at school, she has never really grew to like (I was going to say “got on with” but thought that might be misconstrued) her class teacher. She has been doing lots of revision but is still really worried and anxious about the tests. I have tried to tell her not to worry, but they do don’t they? I have told her that as long as she tries her best she will be fine and whatever happens she still has a place in the secondary school close to home with her elder sister.

Any advice would be gratefully received. She is with me all day today and I’m not sure whether revising at this stage is a good thing or shall I just encourage her to enjoy the sunshine and try to forget SATS for today?

Thank you in advance. smile

Telly Sat 18-May-19 17:31:01

The high school ignored the SATs results and gave them their own tests!

Ohmother Sat 18-May-19 17:09:42

Oh do behave, Ezybee.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-May-19 09:53:45

DD has SATS. The school has been brilliant and making sure the children have extra play time and as little pressure as possible. They have done a lot of preparation but were told not to do extra work or revision this week. She was very chipper yesterday - didn't say much about the actual test but had had a lovely time playing football while all the other classes had to do lessons grin

For the year 2 ones I recall they made the 'hard working week' into a whole game - half the kids didn't realise they were even doing proper tests, and none of them stressed at all. I know other local schools who have handled it very differently and am very thankful for ours.

Deedaa Mon 13-May-19 17:30:26

GS1 being autistic and awful at spelling was at a bit of a,disadvantage with SATS. We just told him it really didn't matter how well he did, there were so many other things he was brilliant at. The teachers at his school weren't very impressed by SATS themselves so there was no pressure on the children just the boredom of spending (or wasting) a lot of time going over old papers. We certainly didn't encourage him to revise anything apart from doing his normal homework. As far as I remember he did alright.

gillybob Mon 13-May-19 07:54:16

Thank you for all the kind words of encouragement and the very helpful ideas too.

We spent about an hour and a half revising yesterday morning then most of the rest of the day pottering around in the garden and DGD practised her gymnastics on the lawn, so she was definitely not stressing, which is good.

When I took her home last night however, she said she was worried that her mind would go blank and she wouldn’t remember anything.

To be honest from what she has said, I think it seems to be the school who are putting all the pressure on (it certainly isn’t her family) as they have been saying things like “the year 6 children mustn’t let the school down” etc. which is a bit unfair. It such a shame that they have to worry like this at only 11 years old.

Anyway it’ll soon be Friday and all over . Thank you all again for very kind and helpful comments. smile

DoraMarr Sun 12-May-19 23:08:43

gillybob I do feel for your grandaughter. Tell her that SATS only measure one thing: how well she can pass exams. They don’t show how caring, funny and thoughtful she is, and what a good friend, sister, grandaughter, nor how talented she is at ( her hobby, sport, cooking, whatever she is good at.) Tell her that there will be a future for her, and it may not involve passing exams, but she will find her niche, and she will be good at it. And tell her that the tests will not be as bad as she is imagining, and they will soon be over. And, of course, that you will always love her.

Harris27 Sun 12-May-19 21:49:42

I'm a nurser teacher and don't find it bashing. I'm also a ?grandmother and my dgg has her sats starting tomorrow she is usually a worrier and quite a quiet girl but seemed ok today. We talked about this week and I wished her well saying she'd do good and seems ok. It's me the worrier this time hoping it doesn't ghetto much for her and will be glad when' it's Friday.

eazybee Sun 12-May-19 21:38:46

*I’ve told my anxious DGD that the SATs are for the teachers really; to find out what they have forgotten to teach her.

So to make your grandchild feel good you denigrate her teachers.
Shameful.

Tangerine Sun 12-May-19 21:06:59

Perhaps the compromise for your granddaughter might be to do some revision and enjoy herself the rest of the time.

I hope she does well. I used to encourage my children and tell them to do their best without harping on about it all the time.

annodomini Sun 12-May-19 20:08:21

He's He'd

annodomini Sun 12-May-19 20:07:51

I spoke on the phone to GS this morning. He seemed reasonably confident about SPAG and reading. The maths seems to consist of arithmetic which he thinks he can do and 'reasoning' by which I assume they mean maths problems which he says he can't get his head round. He's probably be happier on the rugby pitch.

Urmstongran Sun 12-May-19 19:06:28

What a fantastic attitude Ohmother
Brilliant.
??

Luckygirl Sun 12-May-19 18:04:47

I’ve told my anxious DGD that the SATs are for the teachers really; to find out what they have forgotten to teach her.

Good ply - I like that!

trisher Sun 12-May-19 17:09:21

glammanana The days of any teacher cruising through until retirement are long gone. It is much more likely now that a teacher will drop out of the profession because of stress and realising that they want some time for a personal life.
It isn't necessarily teachers or parents who create the atmosphere of stress for SATS. It starts with quite small adjustments and grows, it's fuelled by gossip and rumour and some children are swallowed by it.
gillybob Do you know which will be the first test. If so in the early afternoon sit your DGD down and explain what she will encounter. If you don't have the example papers you can find them on line. If it's reading and comprehension, don't do the questions but explain what sort of answer is needed. If maths point out problems and where she will be expected to show working. The breathing excersises posted are a great idea and you could use them whilst you discuss the papers. Suggest she does them before each question.
Then put the papers away have a lovely tea give her lots of hugs and assure her she is wonderful just as she is.
Good luck to her and you!

Mamie Sun 12-May-19 17:04:26

Yes some do glammanana. My GDs are in a grammar school area and the pressure put on some of their peers at primary school for the 11+ was just ridiculous. We know children who scraped through after years of coaching who then had a miserable time at grammar school because they have never been able to keep up.
However I think the days of cruising to retirement for teachers went a long time ago. Ofsted put paid to that.
I think the problem with SATs and GCSEs (see other thread) is that the requirements have been ramped up to the stage where children are genuinely stressed because the content is ridiculously difficult. This has a particularly negative impact on the less able.

Ohmother Sun 12-May-19 16:59:06

I’ve told my anxious DGD that the SATs are for the teachers really; to find out what they have forgotten to teach her. I’ve told her to see how much she can remember to help her teacher but otherwise not to worry as the other kids are there to help aswell.

She gets good grades. ?

Luckygirl Sun 12-May-19 16:57:21

The problem is that the SATs put the teachers under pressure and the head is under pressure and the governors are under pressure - because the results dictate the school's rating and thus their attraction to local parents and thus the per capita grants that constitute the school's income. Some schools fail to prevent that pressure filtering through to the children.

They are a farce - and more importantly restrict a proper broad education. Teachers are tempted to teach to the tests, which are based on back-of-the-envelope political diktat and not on true imaginative learning.

One of my DGC's schools is a small rural primary and had 3 children in year 6. One passed, one failed (as expected - special needs) and one had a virus on the day - so, guess what 2/3 of the children are "failures" and that is what the stats show.

I do not blame the teachers for any of this - they just want to be left to do what they do best: teach.

glammanana Sun 12-May-19 16:44:54

Mamie Do you also think maybe some parents put too much pressure on their children,I would never "bash" teachers but some are certainly not as good as they could be,some really work hard and set out the work for the children in their own time but others just cruise through until retirement or another position opens up for them.

Mamie Sun 12-May-19 15:31:17

Some children will put more pressure on themselves and become much more upset and stressed than others. It isn't just a question if what teachers / parents do or don't do.

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 15:27:53

I have just read the above post and scrolled back through the rest of the thread looking for all this teacher bashing maryeliza54 mentioned and couldn't find it.

Lets face it not all teachers and parents are angels. Some are crap, some are brilliant. It is silly to pretend otherwise. Overall this thread is more supportive than other

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 15:17:48

Teacher bashing thread by those who know sod all about teaching and learning

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 15:16:29

I

glammanana Sun 12-May-19 14:40:41

Luckily my DGCs have passed the age for these "sats" but youngest DGS is finishing his GCSE's soon and just working out which grade means which is an exam in its self.
Years ago my eldest son attended an open night with his father and I we where discussing homework and revision with said teacher and DS1 asked if teachers where doing their job properly why was homework or revision necessary,at the time I wish I had a hole to bury myself in, but over the years I agree with him,there are some great teachers out there but some if they where paid by results they would be unemployed.
This son never revised at all and has gone on from strength to strength enjoying a good career and totally stressfree lifestyle.

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 13:23:46

Well Sussex that’s a balanced nuanced post I must say.

Sussexborn Sun 12-May-19 13:21:24

My GS2 was here on Thursday and mentioned in passing it was SATS next week. He didn’t appear remotely worried. As a family we tend to be in the “do your best and don’t get stressed” field.

The helicopter parenting and bullying teaching almost always back fires from what I see around me. Stressed and unhappy children who get to 14, dig their heels in and refuse to cooperate just when they approach their external exams.

The children of teachers often fare worse, as less than top level results is deemed as failure and a reflection on the parents professional skill.