Gransnet forums

Education

Cursive Handwriting in Schools

(84 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 15-Feb-20 10:34:15

A while back I was horrified to see my grandson's handwriting which was illegible! Apparently instead of teaching them the letters of the alphabet separately they have tails on the front and back so they find it easier to do 'joined up' handwriting.
They say this helps them join up their handwriting more quickly and easily. I just hope so because it looks a flippin' mess to me. Anyone got any feedback on this?

MawB Wed 20-May-20 09:06:20

The rubric on all Scottish exam papers was, unforgettably
Marks will be deducted for bad spelling, bad punctuation and for writing that is difficult to read

Thank you for reminding me of that annodomini - the exam board would have had a field day with 21st century social media!

pollyperkins Wed 20-May-20 09:38:25

I used to be an examiner for GCSE Biology and we were told to award a SPAG mark ie for spelling, punctuation & grammar. I think the scale was only 1-3 or maybe 1-5 and the marks were added not subtracted. It would make little difference to the end grade and was very subjective!

Elrel Fri 05-Jun-20 09:24:41

Marion Richardson (patterns and handwriting style) was taught for decades, I learnt it in the ‘40s and have some MR books still.
As PenE posted it is most important that the correct direction of forming printed letters is taught first, joining should follow easily. If individual letters are formed in the wrong direction joining is confusing and difficult for the child.
Legibility is key, of course, whatever style is used. Some italic writing can be difficult to read. Does anyone remember the perfect copperplate which was used on railway station chalkboards? Beautiful, legible, written with care and pride to tell us of train delays and cancellations!

midgey Fri 05-Jun-20 09:29:19

We had handwriting lessons until we were 10 or 11, pages of patterns! We were taught Marion Richardson in the late 50s. Her sister taught us art in the upper school.

geekesse Fri 05-Jun-20 10:10:48

My son has used some of the lockdown time to teach his eldest son to learn cursive script and to use a fountain pen. I promised DGS that when he could write me a letter, I would send him a beautiful fountain pen from my collection. At the end of last week, I received a beautifully written letter, and duly sent off the pen. A few days later, my son sent me a delightful video of my grandson writing confidently and beautifully with his new pen. Result!

Lexisgranny Fri 05-Jun-20 10:25:58

My grandmother, at school in the 1890s wrote exactly like that, but with a slight slope to the right, I was taught the same way in the 40s/50s. My handwriting now is appalling as a result of using computers/laptops/iPads over the years. My shopping list always leads to difficulties because I can’t read my own writing.

Spangler Thu 13-Aug-20 01:13:12

Elrel Fri 05-Jun-20 09:24:41Does anyone remember the perfect copperplate which was used on railway station chalkboards? Beautiful, legible, written with care and pride to tell us of train delays and cancellations!

Elrel In the first term of my Grammar School back in 1957 we were taught italic script using a broad italic nib. (We had special nibs for the left handed.) The style wasn't enforced and there was no other tuition in handwriting style after that first term.

Some of us just took to it, me included. It became an art form for me. I learned that if you use a lined template of equidistant horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines, underneath the page that you are writing on, you can achieve a uniform dimension to each letter.

Taking that one stage further, if it's something like a wedding album or a curriculum vitae, I would write out the letter in pencil, then measure and adjust each letter to a standard not unlike the printed word. This not only ensures uniformity it also works like a spellchecker, if you make a spelling mistake or accidentally omit a word, it can be very frustrating.

Following that I would write over the pencil in ink using the broad italic nib. When that was finished and completely dry I can now use that as a perfect template. Just place it under the page that is to be written on and write following the template. Perfect copperplate. I can do it freehand too, but not quite as good as the above method.

It is time consuming of course but it's a hobby of mine. Over the years I learned a few styles, Old English Gothic is one that making a mistake on can turn the air blue.

Copperplate handwriting has always made an impression, or at least got a response, but by and large I just write freehand with a fountain pen and italic nib using a horizontal lined template underneath.

Madgran77 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:09:48

Teaching cursive early may be a message at gge beginning but if done well results in excellent handwriting as they grow up