Gransnet forums

Education

Home schooling

(14 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 21-Mar-20 09:55:23

The joys of home schooling

LullyDully Mon 23-Mar-20 10:48:45

I was wondering if any grandparents are offering to help out with home schooling remotely. I have offered to help the 6 year old and 4 year old. Just hope they listen as They are very, very lively at the best of times. I will insist on them not being in the same room. Wish me luck.

I tried BBC bits size today. The KS1 maths area asked me to add 3 to 5 but apparently my answer of 8 was wrong. My maths must be a bit rusty.?

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 16:10:44

Try registering with TES resources. Lots of free stuff on there, made by teachers.

LullyDully Mon 23-Mar-20 19:29:08

Yes have looked there, used to use it a lot.

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 19:42:27

I sent these suggestions to my son for my 4 year old DGD.

www.crickweb.co.uk/Early-Years.html Needs Flash Player.

www.happyclicks.net/ Interactive games

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dJWfQHF8Y The 100 song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkPouLWCyc 100 song with exercise

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvNq2CQnOI Days of the week

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbRDtCAFdU Shape song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRuLS-Vnjs Shape song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8sUPpPc8Ws The Gruffalo story

Needs an adult to guide
www.education.com/games/preschool/

www.educationcity.com/free-resources
My school used to suscribe to this, but there are free resources

www.activityvillage.co.uk/ Lots of resources

vampirequeen Tue 24-Mar-20 08:58:04

If you're helping your GC to learn how to read could you ask the children to talk about the books as well as read them. Ask them questions e.g. how does the character feel and how do you know/what's the weather like ..how do you know/what do you think will happen next....why? Children can be very good at decoding words without really comprehending what they're reading. It's as important to talk about the story as it is to read the words.

ErikaBaum Fri 03-Apr-20 06:33:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ErikaBaum Fri 03-Apr-20 06:37:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gymstagran Fri 03-Apr-20 06:51:17

Im listening to and helping two of my granddaughters read in their allotted time Monday to Friday by video conferencing. They show me the pictures and we talk and laugh about the story. They spell out any words they dont know and we discuss what they mean. It means I get to interact with them and gives my daughter and her husband time to have a quiet lunch. She is being shielded and the others are not going out at all either, otherwise she would have to.move out for the isolation period due to their small accommodation.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Apr-20 07:13:34

We are practicing the 5 yr olds phonics, read a story each day, cook something every day and they count and measure the ingredients. Mr.GG gets them out to exercise play games in the garden, then DD gets down to the writing practice and written maths. After lunch DD chooses a nature programme on Discovery Channel, then we mainline Disney + for a few hours. (they are self-isolating at our home)

suziewoozie Fri 03-Apr-20 07:46:27

We are helping out online. We’re loving it. It gives their parents a break and provides variety for the dgc. We manage it by having the resource, work sheet whatever up on the laptop and then do the face to face through the iPad. We’re building in regular slots after the Easter holidays now we’ve set the system up. I’ve found Brittanica for Kids excellent for the 6 year old.

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 08:13:54

Both children are being sent work by their school. DGD, who is 13 has formal online lessons as well as being sent links to other sites online. She also has to submit homework.

The primary school, just posts ideas and links online, and optional homework packages. but DGS has been following all of them.

MiniMoon Fri 03-Apr-20 10:05:15

My grandchildren all have high functioning autism and have been home educated by my daughter for the past five years. The children love the TED Ed, Lessons worth Sharing videos on YouTube. There are loads of them covering all sorts of subjects. They are short, and easy to understand for infant and primary age children.
They do regular school work too. My daughter sources her material from all around the world, for instance, her maths course is from Australia.

Luckygirl Fri 03-Apr-20 10:24:43

Try this - an education pack with a wonderful fusion of nature and music used to teach all subjects: www.thelostwords.org/resources/

I feel very proud of this as it has been generated by a DD.