Gransnet forums

Education

Letters

(11 Posts)
jacig Wed 17-Jun-20 08:51:54

Do you write letters to your grandchildren?
My g/s's live very close & I see them most days but I still write them letters. My daughters think I'm daft, they say" phone them or face time them". I have just sent an invitation to my eldest g/s for a sleepover and the excitement he gets when he receives it is lovely to see. I have asked my d/d to help him write back to me, she can't because she has no writing paper/notelets, needless to say she has some now. I remember being taught how to write a letter in school, I think that although technology is important it shouldn't replace everything. That's me off to wait for the postman and my "RSPV"

Furret Wed 17-Jun-20 09:02:15

I send mine postcards.

Taita Mon 28-Sep-20 23:11:37

Yes! They are 10 and 5 and love getting them.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 23:39:15

Whenever I go out for the day or weekends away (in the days when you could) I always send my GC a postcard of the place I'm visiting with just a line or two about the place or what I'm doing. I made the mistake of sending GS a postcard with little lambs on once, instead of buckets and spades or the seaside. Won't make that mistake again! grin

JackyB Tue 29-Sep-20 09:48:40

We received a "letter" from DGD (5) yesterday. She makes her parents put them in envelopes, address and stamp them, but they are not allowed to look!

We are off for a few days to the Black Forest today, and shall send her a postcard.

During lock down I sent her a few letters, enclosing copies of ideas for things to make and do and pictures to colour in, songs to sing with her Daddy and pictures of flowers to look out for if they went for a walk.

I can't wait till they can read and write properly so we can really correspond. I hope they go along with it.

BBbevan Tue 29-Sep-20 10:10:43

Yes I send letters to my 2GDs. Cards too. Never get a reply these days. When they were infants we had drawings and poems etc. Now they are teenagers, not a sausage But I shall continue to write.

Missfoodlove Tue 29-Sep-20 10:55:56

Yes!
Our daughter is a great letter writer so we do get some in return.
The boys are terrible, my youngest always hated letter writing, when away at school he once sent a letter that started with; I have been made to write to you?.

Chardy Tue 29-Sep-20 13:06:35

When I was teaching, several times I took over a tutor group from someone who'd left. I'd organise a mass letter-writing session, get a big A4 envelope addressed to their new school and they'd pop their letter in, I'd seal it in front of them and one of them would take it down to the school office. Privacy in writing letters is a big deal.

Oopsminty Tue 29-Sep-20 13:11:39

Yes!

I sent them cards when the lockdown first started and it's developed into a pen pal type relationship

My 9 year old grandson loves it. He writes reams and sends pictures and drawings he's done.

They don't live far away and we have seen them but the little chap wants to continue with the letter writing

I must say I don't find it that easy to write any more! Years of keyboards and my handwriting skills have diminished.

MawB2 Tue 29-Sep-20 13:23:35

I think that’s a lovely idea although I do remember a poster early on in lockdown castigating us for adding to the posties’ burden and thus endangering their health confused

MawB2 Tue 29-Sep-20 13:25:32

I should add that the home made cards I got from my grandchildren (10, 8, 6) made me happy and cry in equal measure! ?