Gransnet forums

Education

Outdoor educational trips

(31 Posts)
Ellianne Mon 05-Oct-20 18:50:04

I heard on the news today that a letter has been sent to the PM asking for the lockdown ban on residential school trips to be lifted.
I was strongly in favour of schools returning for all sorts of reasons, but I cannot see many parents or teachers wanting to take a party of children away for a very very long time.
Dare I say, some of these visits are just an excuse for a jolly anyway.

maddyone Tue 06-Oct-20 12:49:25

As an ex teacher of KS1 and Early Years I have to say that no school trips were a ‘jolly’ for me. I used to breath a huge sigh of relief when it was all over and no one was lost, hurt, or worse.
At this particular time I would think it unwise to do off site activities.

Cabbie21 Tue 06-Oct-20 13:44:04

This is not the time to attempt to reinstate school trips, far too risky for staff and others involved. In any case, the exam regulations have taken the loss of these practical components into account.
Yes, it is a shame for children to miss out on the experiences, but it is such hard work for the staff,
I remember cutting back from trips to France. All the girls thanked us as they got off the bus on our return, but hardly any parents did.

Cabbie21 Tue 06-Oct-20 13:44:25

Coming back, not cutting back.

Purpledaffodil Tue 06-Oct-20 15:38:36

Never ever a jolly for teachers that I have experienced, but so rewarding to see children blossoming and having different experiences.
Sadly, the high cost and the threat of Covid will mean that children are denied this.

oliver010 Fri 09-Oct-20 10:18:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.