Gransnet forums

Education

Teachers should be prepared to ‘sacrifice their lives’, says ex-Ofsted head

(34 Posts)
Ashcombe Sat 27-Feb-21 10:26:12

Not many months ago, teachers were being praised! Any hint of disagreement with the government and this is how they react. Appalling and undeserved. My daughter is DH at a large primary school, where the organisation of cover for key workers' children has, at times, been a logistical nightmare, involving hours of work contacting families who don’t always respond to group emails.

Office staff have produced work packs for families without printers and catering staff assemble food parcels. IT technicians have prepared laptops to loan to needy families. Luckily, most parents are appreciative of the efforts made by the school staff at every level.

This would be happening in schools everywhere and the government do not help morale by issuing statements like this. I intend to write to my (Tory) MP to complain. Since this is reported in a reputable newspaper, one may be sure of its veracity.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Feb-21 09:54:40

Apparently there are currently 10,320,811 children in schools at the moment. £700,000,000 is about £70 each.
Just saying.

I hope most of this goes to the most needy schools - but fear the money is already in large part, spent.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:52:55

It's utter madness if full inspections are continuing. What a waste of time - just when there are rapid Covid tests and catching up to do!

Ellianne Sat 27-Feb-21 09:45:00

Susiewong65

Maybe he should lead by example and go back into the classroom himself.
Ofstead are STILL carrying out inspections on top of everything else the poor staff have to deal with.
Ridiculous man !!

Crikey! Is that full inspections, or just visits?
Not in the private sector.

Susiewong65 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:41:43

Maybe he should lead by example and go back into the classroom himself.
Ofstead are STILL carrying out inspections on top of everything else the poor staff have to deal with.
Ridiculous man !!

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:21:37

'same level of devotion as medics'??? Give us the same pay and maybe! What a pillock!

Harris27 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:21:05

Nice of him to say this . I’ve just returned to work after 14 staff caught COVID and we had to close for three weeks. I’ve worked seven months fearing this but smiling and getting ion with it on less than £9 an hour. Forgotten early years staff.

Galaxy Sat 27-Feb-21 09:16:56

Under no circumstances would I have wanted someone to teach my children who had a sacrificial lamb mentality. Is that what he thinks parents would want.

GagaJo Sat 27-Feb-21 09:13:03

Perhaps don't run teachers into the ground (massive teacher retention crisis) and THEN you might get a bit more loyalty Michael Wilshaw (Infamous for saying to head teachers 'If anyone says to you that staff morale is at an all-time low, you know you are doing something right.')

To coin a Mumsnet phrase, what a k*ob.

The former head of Ofsted has said that teachers need to show a “similar commitment” to medical professionals, who in some cases have “sacrificed their lives.”

Sir Michael Wilshaw, the former chief inspector of schools, said there has to be a “pulling together’ among teachers and that they have to exhibit the same level of devotion as medics who have “gone the extra” mile during the pandemic, in order to get children caught up with their studies when schools return early next month.

Children return back to school on 8 March and the government has launched a £700 million school catch-up scheme to help children with lost learning, amid concerns children from disadvantaged backgrounds have fallen months behind their peers.

Responding to a question on BBC’s Newsnight about whether the learning gap can be closed between pupils from deprived backgrounds and other students, he said: “It will be closed if there is a real commitment and that is why there has to be a pulling together.”

www.independent.co.uk/news/education/covid-schools-reopening-ofsted-teachers-b1807935.html