Gransnet forums

Education

What happened about 2020 summer degree examinations?

(16 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 21-Jun-21 13:04:54

In 2020 there was lots on the television about what was being done about GCSEs and A levels. Lots of controversy.

Yet not once did I ever see anything about what happened to all of the University students who, had it not been for the pandemic, would have sat their final degree examinations, most graduating with a Bachelor's degree.

Does anyone know what happened to them and their examinations please?

Doodledog Mon 21-Jun-21 14:04:47

A lot of people sat them 'virtually'. Timed exams online, which were specially calibrated to prevent cheating. Others were assessed by essay or similar, in a change to what would usually have happened.

It has been very stressful for students over the past couple of years, and changes the assessment methods can add to the stress. People often factor in assessment methods when choosing courses, as some people are not good at continuous assessment, so prefer exams and vice versa.

I have every sympathy with students, and hope that employers are willing to take into account that they may not all have got the grades they might have done and make allowances for them.

SueDonim Mon 21-Jun-21 14:12:38

Medical students at some universities did not take finals last year but were still able to graduate. Med schools tend to continuously assess their students so I am sure will have been well aware of their capabilities.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Jun-21 14:25:09

My granddaughter had to go in school and take all her A levels exams some schools are going by teachers assessment
It seems very unfair to me that it isn’t all one way or the other
Most schools in our area are going by teachers assessment but hers isn’t ?

geekesse Mon 21-Jun-21 22:10:32

BlueBelle

My granddaughter had to go in school and take all her A levels exams some schools are going by teachers assessment
It seems very unfair to me that it isn’t all one way or the other
Most schools in our area are going by teachers assessment but hers isn’t ?

I think you must have misunderstood. There were no A Level exams this year. However, most schools did set exams based on questions selected by exam boards from past papers. Schools had to provide at least four pieces of evidence for each subject to support the grade they award, and many schools set internal exams to gather some of this evidence.

Sarnia Tue 22-Jun-21 08:30:57

One of my GD's entered her dissertation and final exams on the Uni site. It wasn't the way she hoped to end her university education but it worked very well. She was upset at not having her graduation day. The Uni hoped to hold it this year but that hasn't happened.

DavidRogers0000 Sun 26-Jun-22 09:56:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Jaxjacky Sun 26-Jun-22 10:12:19

Reported

Mamie Sun 26-Jun-22 10:14:14

There were GCSE and A level exams in schools this year. My DGD2 sat 22 GCSE exams (10 subjects) over 5 weeks.
My DGD1 in her first year of university had a timed online exam and continuous assessment through the year. The balance of assessment / exams depended on the subject.

Mamie Sun 26-Jun-22 10:15:27

Sorry just seen this is a zombie thread.

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 10:15:38

Oh dear - another old thread hijacked by a spammer!

Lizizy Mon 22-Aug-22 23:05:12

SamsamJ Tue 23-Aug-22 21:11:59

alexandraly1 Fri 30-Sep-22 06:22:43

katemaribell Wed 01-Nov-23 08:36:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

cake45 Wed 24-Jan-24 10:33:26

In 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, universities worldwide implemented various measures to address disruptions to final degree examinations. Many universities transitioned to online exams, allowing students to complete their assessments remotely. In response to the challenges, assessment methods were often modified, with adjustments made to grading criteria or increased emphasis on continuous assessment. Some institutions explored alternative assessment methods, such as project work or essays, to accommodate the unique circumstances. To support students during this challenging time, universities communicated extensively and provided resources for mental health and well-being.