Gransnet forums

Education

So is the idea now that the state just provides for skills in reading, writing and arithmetic for free?

(134 Posts)
DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 08:51:32

Will we soon find that we pay for anything over the very, very basic needs? We have seen this in dentistry, social care and medical care. It seems as if this is the plan.

Is this what everyone voted for? Did you? We are a democracy, so they say. Is this what everyone wants? Is it what levelling up means and if so, could someone please explain that to me.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 12-Mar-22 08:56:51

Our 2 grandchildren are at college doing A levels, so something is working.

DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 09:16:46

Was working Oopsadaisy1. They have already recieved a great deal of their expected education.

Lucca Sat 12-Mar-22 09:17:28

I’m being dense but what is this referring to ?

Shinamae Sat 12-Mar-22 09:20:12

Lucca

I’m being dense but what is this referring to ?

I’m with you lucca.?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Mar-22 09:20:57

I have no idea.

LauraNorderr Sat 12-Mar-22 09:24:59

Another here awaiting enlightenment.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Mar-22 09:27:42

Seven of our eight GC are in either nursery/primary/senior schools and I can assure you that they are all learning more than reading, writing and arithmetic totally free…

DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 09:42:58

Oh! There has been quite a bit about this so I will try and add some information.

luluaugust Sat 12-Mar-22 09:51:48

If only the State could get everyone to an acceptable reading, writing and arithmetic level. Surely families have always paid for "extras" gymnastics, ballet and sports of all kinds after a full day at school are not that unusual and of course those who can afford it spend a lot of money getting their children through the 11 plus.

notgran Sat 12-Mar-22 10:11:38

I also have no idea to what this refers. The 4 schools near me are attended by local school children and all the schools get great results. What a strange post.

Dickens Sat 12-Mar-22 10:16:39

luluaugust

If only the State could get everyone to an acceptable reading, writing and arithmetic level. Surely families have always paid for "extras" gymnastics, ballet and sports of all kinds after a full day at school are not that unusual and of course those who can afford it spend a lot of money getting their children through the 11 plus.

... yes the "three 'Rs" - absolutely essential.

But what about history, geography, biology, science? You know, an all-round education?

Do we want a nation of Gradgrind's "hands", able to function in the workplace, but without knowledge of anything else?

... perhaps that's the plan. The less you know, the less you question. Heads down, do your job... and here's a bit of bread and circuses to keep you amused out of working hours. And stop you contemplating the wider world.

When I was at school, gymnastics and sport were considered to be essential to the 'healthy-body-healthy-mind' doctrine and were part of the curriculum.

Apologies, I'm just very cynical.

Pepper59 Sat 12-Mar-22 10:19:31

Sorry, I'm clueless here about this thread.

DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 10:21:32

What prompted me to put the question up was something I heard on "Today" [R4] this morning. They were talking about the government telling schools to concentrate on the 3Rs. The speaker questioned if the very things that a school can offer, that disadvantaged children otherwise will not even know about, will disappear.

There is this. There have been other, less teacher orientated views, raising concern also. I won't look for those at this point as others may have seen them.

"According to two recent YouGov polls commissioned by GL Assessment, teachers and parents are becoming increasingly concerned that exam pressures are forcing schools to offer a limited, bare-bones education while prepping pupils for those exams from an increasingly young age." [source - The Headteacher]

I am aware that this government's stated aims before the last election were for a "small government. That must mean the collapse of government-driven help and structure. However, it seemed to me to be beginning to bite. We have seen dentistry returning to a mainly private organisation. It looks as if the government intends to push GPs in the same direction. I wondered if the next project will be/is schools.

Many of my friends have been paying for things recently or helping children and grandchildren, where we once would have received the care/help/general basics via a state-run organisation. It is not that we didn't know this was the government's intention. it just seems to be becoming more obvious. I wondered how it will affect our citizens if many are priced out of education and health care.

Those friends that pay up for really basic and also essential, life-saving items often say, "I know I am lucky I can afford this". They are aware that they are - at the moment. But each person will have a point where, if we have to pay for more and more basics, we will not be able to have ourselves, or give our families, what we once thought of as what our country is and how it behaves towards its people.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 12-Mar-22 10:22:38

My great nephews and nieces are getting a good all round education, they have no money for extras and the kiddies are all doing well in all subjects, so I’m not sure where this poster lives and if it’s different there?
Their ages are between 7 and 12 so very recent schooling.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Mar-22 10:22:49

I'm not aware of any plans to drop history, geography, sciences or what we called 'PE' from the curriculum and resort to teaching only the three Rs.

winterwhite Sat 12-Mar-22 10:31:24

I think the OP is rather cryptically written but the message seems clear to me.
Like social care, the police service and aspects of the health service, more and more burdens are being loaded onto schools with less and less cash to pay for them. We see it daily on GN, 'Why don't teachers ...', ' Why can't schools...'; Schools must...', 'Education system is failing our children...'.. Where will it end?
That's what I understood the OP to mean.

trisher Sat 12-Mar-22 10:31:25

Well most arts subjects have already disappeared from schools or been cut to the absolute minimum. It's a great pity because creative activities help thinking at all levels. There is also a huge arts industry in this country which makes money here and abroad.
But of course anything which encourages children to think has to go, because they might realise what a terrible government we have.

Grandma70s Sat 12-Mar-22 10:32:36

What about music and art? Very important.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Mar-22 10:33:56

I may be stating there obvious, but there has been a worldwide pandemic for two years which has affected both schools teaching capabilities and children mental health, have the GLA assessments taken this into account?

I am not surprised that there has been as you put it bare bone teaching to pass exams what was the alternative? I don’t think anyone would have been happy for students to have to repeat the last two years of schooling.

As we are slowly returning to normal so should education, with hopefully catch-up for those off school for whatever reason, as it was previously.

Gongoozler Sat 12-Mar-22 10:41:27

Well put, GrannyGravy. Totally agree.

DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 11:06:09

winterwhite

I think the OP is rather cryptically written but the message seems clear to me.
Like social care, the police service and aspects of the health service, more and more burdens are being loaded onto schools with less and less cash to pay for them. We see it daily on GN, 'Why don't teachers ...', ' Why can't schools...'; Schools must...', 'Education system is failing our children...'.. Where will it end?
That's what I understood the OP to mean.

I'm sorry if it came over as cryptic - I think sleepy would be nearer the mark.

Yes, it's one more service that is depleted for the majority. And then what. It triggered an overall view of how much the structure of our society is changing. I know this is what those who voted for this government must have wanted; it was clear what the government intended if they had the power.

I just wondered, now it's becoming a reality if it's what the majority really want.

DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 11:31:20

GrannyGravy13

I may be stating there obvious, but there has been a worldwide pandemic for two years which has affected both schools teaching capabilities and children mental health, have the GLA assessments taken this into account?

I am not surprised that there has been as you put it bare bone teaching to pass exams what was the alternative? I don’t think anyone would have been happy for students to have to repeat the last two years of schooling.

As we are slowly returning to normal so should education, with hopefully catch-up for those off school for whatever reason, as it was previously.

I don't think these changes are the only choice. It is always a choice. Government policy seems to be following the far-right playbook of dismantling the state just as they said they would if we voted for them. I imagine those defending this wanted that and voted for the government to get a "small state".

What I wondered was if individuals are still happy with the move in this direction.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Mar-22 11:37:11

DaisyAnne

GrannyGravy13

I don't think these changes are the only choice. It is always a choice. Government policy seems to be following the far-right playbook of dismantling the state just as they said they would if we voted for them. I imagine those defending this wanted that and voted for the government to get a "small state".

What I wondered was if individuals are still happy with the move in this direction.

I can only post of what I know and that is that our GC are still receiving a full and rounded education including Art, Geography, History, Drama etc..

This is from Nursery through to Yr.9 over four different schools, none of which are Private.

Perhaps this scenario is not England wide (education is devolved and not controlled by Westminster)?

Pepper59 Sat 12-Mar-22 11:47:55

Im just a bit puzzled, the schools including the primary schools all have science, history etc taught. The primary schools even do a second language, so I really don't understand this thread. As for contributing things to schools, I was at school in the 70s/80s, we paid a fee for Home Economics and also brought ingredients from home. So to some extent contributions have always been there. I do appreciate other people may have had a different experience to mine.