Gransnet forums

Education

Did you have elocution lessons ?

(110 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:54:16

I have been listening to Miriam Margolis's biography and she mentioned having elocution lessons and was sad that they had changed her speaking voice . Did you have lessons ? I missed because I had singing lessons. I belonged to a small girls choir ( small as in a few of us only ) and my parents had to pay fees for the lessons. We would go out to entertain groups like the Rotary club but only in our own town . Miriam's mother took her all over England to compete in competitions in which she always came in the first three winners. I do not know of any children now who have these lessons just speech therapy for those who really require it .

JaneJudge Sun 25-Sep-22 20:21:07

MissAdventure

People are still insensitive to grown ups who they consider common, based on their accent or colloquial speech patterns.

isn't that the truth

Floradora9 Sun 25-Sep-22 21:38:24

Jaylou

I had them. My parents also paid for extra ones, not because of my speaking voice, but because I was painfully shy, and they thought standing up in front of people speaking poetry and prose would help. Hated them with a passion but my parents were only trying to help.
Don't think they helped, I just grew out of my shyness as I became older.

btw I am really not a fan of Miriam Margoyles at all, so won't be reading her book. Find her very blunt bordering on rude. But hope you enjoyed the book

I am listening to her book, you have to be able to tolerate her references to sexual acts but I just love her mastery of accents .I listen in bed at night setting a sleep timer in case I drop off .

Serendipity22 Sun 25-Sep-22 22:58:01

Hahahahaha ohhhh this brought memories back. I come from Yorkshire and naturally speak with a Yorkshire accent, a broad Yorkshire accent. When I would say nowt ( nothing) or it in't ( it is not ) or eh? ( pardon?) my mum used to say "Im going to send you for elocution lessons."

How else is a Yorkshire lass supposed to talk !

confusedconfused

Bodach Sun 25-Sep-22 23:15:48

We had it for - I think - one term in 4th (?) year at school; taught by one of the English teachers. All I can really remember is one of the phrases we had to intone: "Father's car's a Jaguar, and Pa drives rather fast". Make of that what you will...

henetha Sun 25-Sep-22 23:36:54

Like her or not, Miriam's book is fascinating...I loved it . She's not for the faint hearted though! ?

Blossoming Mon 26-Sep-22 15:30:00

MayBee70 that teacher was positively cruel. It taught me a lesson, though probably not the one she intended! It taught me that those in charge are not necessarily my betters and it gave me a loathing of snobbery in all its forms. I guess I have had the last laugh in the end, I embraced my working class roots and I had a good career in tech.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Sep-22 17:47:20

Yes, at junior school (everyone did).
Afterwards, at senior school I went after school (privately).
I enjoyed them! grin

But I still have an accent (admittedly not very strong - but my parents didn't have strong accents either). It was a syllabus about speaking to project the voice and be understood. I think we all kept out accents to some degree.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Sep-22 17:48:13

avitorl yes, sounds like my experience.

Lexisgranny Mon 26-Sep-22 18:09:18

Yes, it was a regular lesson on the curriculum, but as I recall it was mainly to be able to read poetry and prose out loud. Not a “How now brown cow in sight”!

Luckylegs Mon 26-Sep-22 18:54:57

Yes I did, private ones. I’m a Lancashire lass with a strong accent even now. I think I had started stuttering a bit because I could never get a word in in our family so my mum forked out for these lessons which I enjoyed. I still remember ‘Father’s car’s a Jaguar’ etc, I did enter some competitions as well I think.

My mum definitely had pretensions even though we were quite poor I suppose. I had lessons for the piano as well as elocution and dancing with private ballet lessons in French. I can’t play a note or speak well, I’m quite embarrassed sometimes how broad I speak but I’m not changing now! However, I have always liked dance of all kinds, even if now its line dancing, Fitsteps, dance exercise classes etc.

Lucca Mon 26-Sep-22 19:01:43

I did.but it was all verse speaking/drama. I remember doing some exam/diploma and a poem called “shut gate” Weird.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 20:48:36

Shut yer gate in these parts means "shut up!"

Fleurpepper Mon 26-Sep-22 20:57:15

From Melwyn Bragg's book 'the Adventures of English' (fascinating and a reall good read)

'Perhaps my interest in English began when I was speaking at least two versions of it in my childhood. And within these two were, I suspect, something like the jumbled, shifting sound and sense of much earlier centuries of English.

I spoke a heavily accented dialect in Cumbria until I was about sixteen. There was also a considerable purely local vocabulary. Then the influence of school and BBC English began to erode that accent. The local dialect words were discarded once I began to travel out of the county, simply because no one understood them. But for years I could revert to that accent and remembered those words. Friends back home still employ some of them. They, like me, could switch into the more mainstream English when necessary. The vocabularies intermeshed, sometimes a new word rubbed out an old, it was a jumble, not at all difficult to manage, subject to teasing, snubbing, and as the old yielded more to the new, some regret.

I thought that my experience on a local and much smaller scale might bear some resemblance to the spoken English in the ninth century. To test that, I went through a Cumbrian dialect glossary to look at some of the words I used most commonly.

First, though, the accent. In the 1940s and 1950s,Wigtonians, like so many others everywhere else in small towns and villages, were still largely immobilised in one small area save when wars took off the men or emigration lured away desperate or daring families. It was still heavily influenced by agriculture and agricultural terms which had been just as common more than a hundred, even two or three hundred years before. Its accent was broad. To refined speakers it could appear coarse. Class climbers could even pretend it was unintelligible and subhuman. Yet it carried the deep history of our language and perhaps it had carried it intact for centuries in sound as well as in vocabulary. '

I think many of us remember growing up 'bilingual' - speaking one type of English at home, and another at school, or with friends.

My parents always spoke very well, with no accent, and never swore. So I learnt to speak as they do, but soon realised it was not good for may 'street cred' - so I changed it for use with friends when I was a teenager. Perhaps the other way round to most. For OH, it was t'other way round- as he didn't want his parents foreign accent.

Margiknot Tue 27-Sep-22 11:31:31

I vaguely remember speech and drama classes- which ( being shy and quiet) I hated. I went with my twin who was more confident- and a neighbours child - whose oldest sibling used to walk us there. I think it was partly to give my younger sibling some home time with my mother. We must have been about 8? It was more about voice projection and clear speech if I remember correctly. We attended for possibly a year. Money was very tight in our house so goodness knows how my parents afforded it! It must have been considered very important in the early 60s?
I don't have a strong accent - but I still call plimsolls daps.

Yangste1007 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:39:29

Yes, I had elocution lessons. I was East End born and bred but we moved to NE Kent when I was 7 and I went to the local primary. At 11 my parents moved me to a private girls school. I can remember being asked to another girl's house for tea. She lived near me. Whilst there the friend had an older sister of 16 who was also at our school. I remember hearing older sister asking the mother who that awful girl was (me)? The Mother replied that actually she was a very nice girl if only she could speak properly. At age 11 I was mortified and embarrassed. I told my mother and she organised the lessons at school but I never forgot hearing that conversation.

Joseanne Tue 27-Sep-22 12:00:43

That's a horrible memory Yangste, but I know exactly what you mean. At parents' evening a French teacher told my mum my French accent was poor, "but not surprising because my English one wasn't much better!" Charming.
I went on to get a degree in French from London University and my English accent is very acceptable in posh circles. But it really upset me.

HeavenLeigh Tue 27-Sep-22 12:01:30

God no

HeavenLeigh Tue 27-Sep-22 12:04:58

Oh miss Adventure shut yer gate made me really laugh! Where do you live? I’ve never heard that expression, but where I grew up I had heard the expression shut your cake hole, ???

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 13:32:18

I live in Essex, but my mum and dad were both born in London.

Yes, we use 'cake 'ole', too. smile

Mamardoit Tue 27-Sep-22 13:36:16

Thankfully not. I still have my East Midlands accent and it really hasn't been a problem. The only time it was ever mentioned was in an annual review when I worked at the bank. The manager was ex military and more than a bit stuck up. He wanted us all to say grarss, barth , parth etc. I did say that all of our customers also spoke the same way as me. So he grinned and left it at that. Even when I moved to the main city branch it was never a problem. All sorts of accents there. Many customers spoke very broken English with an Asian accent. It took time to get accustomed to that.

Esmay Tue 27-Sep-22 17:00:13

I had a very strong Welsh accent when small .
This is because my parents left me in the full time care of my grandmother .
Then , because I spent so much time in Wales my accent became stronger .

I had elocution lessons in London .
We all did at school .

My parents spoke very quietly and didn't swear .
They were extremely reserved .
Speaking loudly and "too much " and laughing was considered unladylike .

Times have changed !

thugtomas Fri 30-Sep-22 12:46:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

sodapop Fri 30-Sep-22 15:46:23

Strangely I can still remember a poem from my elocution lessons

I went to say 'Good morning' to a little furry bunny
He stood inside his doorway for the day was bright and sunny
But oh I grieve to tell you he would not stay to play
He turned his tail and bobbed it, and quickly ran away. smile

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Sep-22 15:51:43

When I went to work in the West Midlands, the char lady and the engineers used to love coming to my office to teach me how to 'speak proper like what they did' with the local accent- and I was happy to oblige and make them all laugh (and made great friends).

PernillaVanilla Fri 30-Sep-22 16:04:41

Yes! My parents paid for them as an extra as my verging on Brummie accent was not suitable for someone who hoped to go to university. We were taught by two lovely ladies, one very fond of pretty dresses and the other had cropped hair and wore a men’s suit, we never twigged they were a couple. I remember having to repeat “my father’s car is a jaguar “ endlessly.