Gransnet forums

Education

We have pooled thoughts on the NHS, how about education?

(498 Posts)
winterwhite Mon 02-Jan-23 11:22:57

Many GNs have knowledge and experience here and I have none, but like most of us I have children and grandchildren. I look at the situation with schools in this country and dislike what I see.
Looking on the black side: (1) No prime minister since Blair has prioritised education and since 2010 secretaries of state have not been figures to command respect. (2) The neglect and running down of children’s social care services means that schools have become virtual ‘support banks’ for families in need, with burdens foisted on them that are by no means theirs. (3) Parents seem absolved of responsibility for playing their part in their children’s education, and public respect for schools and teachers seems to be at an all-time low. (4). Many school buildings are in gross disrepair.
There is clearly a link between these points and more could be added. What is on the white side? What is to be done?

SunnyGuy Thu 16-Feb-23 08:26:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

ronib Wed 18-Jan-23 20:02:43

Volver pay for higher education by recouping 42billion uncollected tax!

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 18:55:40

Volver have you given up or not?

Chocolate buttons? If you want to have a rational discussion or shall we just say Dundee marmalade?

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 18:43:01

volver

I'm giving up now. Have fun in your little dream world.

My little dream world is shared by the Scottish press … is yours?

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 18:42:06

And how are they paying for it? Chocolate buttons?

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 18:40:40

volver

Not as unique as you insist ronib. Here's some info about the cap in England.

www.timeshighereducation.com/news/details-english-student-number-controls-unveiled

Somebody who knows better than me might know if this is still accurate.

No did not go through. No cap in England. Vice chancellors threw it out.

Try again

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 18:39:07

I'm giving up now. Have fun in your little dream world.

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 18:38:56

Volver the right wing in Scotland seems to be agitating for no cap on Scottish university places but where is the traditionally egalitarian left?

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 18:37:52

Not as unique as you insist ronib. Here's some info about the cap in England.

www.timeshighereducation.com/news/details-english-student-number-controls-unveiled

Somebody who knows better than me might know if this is still accurate.

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 18:36:28

First of all you need to have an idea of how much extra money is required. Do you know?
I don’t think broadening access to university means taking in lower grades just giving a chance to all with the base line.

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 18:33:33

ronib

volver

So how would you solve that issue ronib?

Should just mention while I'm here, that nobody has to go to England, or anywhere else.

I think I wouldn’t have a cap on places for Scottish university students

And where would you find the money to make that happen ronib?

varian Tue 17-Jan-23 18:29:47

The NHS is collapsing in front of our eyes whilst the Prime Minister and Health Secretary are nowhere to be seen.

In recent days ambulance services across the country have declared “critical incidents”, whilst ambulance staff have been urged to conserve oxygen supplies due to a surge in demand.

Patients are dying in hospital corridors, in queuing ambulances outside A&E departments and at home because help did not arrive in time.

An undignified and unnecessary loss of life.

This is a national crisis. Nobody should lose a loved one because the Government was asleep on the job.

NHS paramedics, nurses and doctors are this country’s heroes but they have been left high and dry. They need help right now before more people die.

This week, we have been calling for Parliament to return without delay so that we can work together to fix this urgent, life and death problem. The Prime Minister must declare a major incident now to put the NHS back on a pandemic-style footing amid soaring numbers of deaths.

The Liberal Democrats’ 5-point Winter Plan for Ambulances will help fix the problems facing emergency services and save lives both now and in the future.

Fix Social Care. Bring forward a fully funded programme to get people who are medically well enough discharged from hospital and set up with appropriate social care and support. This will allow people to leave hospital sooner and make more space available for new arrivals.

The Government’s current attempt at this through the Adult Social Care Discharge Fund is not good enough, as the funds will come from existing NHS budgets putting even more pressure on other services. It will also not be deployed in full until the end of January.

More hospital beds. In addition to getting people out of hospital so that they get care in a more comfortable setting, the number of beds in hospitals needs to be increased to end excessive handover delays for ambulances, caused by a lack of bed capacity. Any new beds must come with increases in staff to care for those extra patients.

Community mental health support. Expand mental health support services to get people the appropriate care they need and reduce the number of call-outs for ambulances for mental health reasons. Learning from hospitals that have set up ‘emergency mental health departments’, will not only get people more appropriate care but relieve pressure on A&Es and ambulances.

Paramedic recruitment drive. Launch a campaign to retain, recruit and train paramedics and other ambulance service staff. Like all health and care services, it needs to be properly staffed.

Ambulance delay transparency. Pass my Ambulance Waiting Times Bill into law which would require accessible, localised reports of ambulance response times to be published. This would ensure that ‘hot spots’ with some of the longest waiting times can be identified routinely. 12-hour waits at A&E should also be published from arrival at hospital rather than the ‘decision to admit’ as is current practice so that the true scale of the problem is clear for all to see. the Government needs to step up and sort out this crisis

www.libdems.org.uk/news/article/our-nhs-is-in-crisis

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 17:58:49

Well there’s something about Prince Harry that reaches parts you wouldn’t normally go

Joseanne Tue 17-Jan-23 17:53:40

ronib

Brain … I am female…

Oh crikey, I wasn't even thinking along THOSE lines!! shock

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 17:50:59

volver

Should just mention while I'm here, that nobody has to go to England, or anywhere else.

I think I wouldn’t have a cap on places for Scottish university students

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 17:49:03

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 17:47:39

Brain … I am female…

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 17:45:35

volver

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I was a lectrice in France 30 years ago, the University accepted everybody who got the grades and who wanted to come.

As Fleurpepper says, half of them left during the first year, and many people had to sleep in the lecture rooms, because there wasn't enough accommodation. Actually in the lecture rooms, between the fixed seating.

30 years ago in France…. I believe you. Update now… from my son who recently left as uni lecturer, all students are passed somehow even the ones who should fail. Yes it’s definitely true that some universities have a high drop out rate and some not.

The unique point about admission to Scottish universities is that places are capped at 182k approximately for home Scottish students with 100k places for students from rest of Uk and rest of the world.

I don’t have the figures showing how many Scottish students are denied the cheaper fee option of free tuition as opposed to the £9250 for an English degree.

Seems to me that if Scotland believes in social equality then denying its own people higher education is a mistake.

Joseanne Tue 17-Jan-23 17:37:07

ronib

I am building my case! It’s minus 7 here my brain is frozen.

I hear Elizabeth Arden cream can cure that!

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 17:09:24

I am building my case! It’s minus 7 here my brain is frozen.

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 16:28:42

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I was a lectrice in France 30 years ago, the University accepted everybody who got the grades and who wanted to come.

As Fleurpepper says, half of them left during the first year, and many people had to sleep in the lecture rooms, because there wasn't enough accommodation. Actually in the lecture rooms, between the fixed seating.

Fleurpepper Tue 17-Jan-23 16:15:49

ronib, I don't know of any Government that does not do this, one way or another. Or they accept all for first year, as long as grades met, then get rid of half or more at the end of first year exam.

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 15:36:41

Of course its okay. As long as you don't mind being told that you're wrong. 🙂

ronib Tue 17-Jan-23 15:34:41

Volver cheers thanks again.

So it’s okay to post about the Scottish government capping the number of places for Scottish students at universities? I am not pretending to be someone else! smile

volver Tue 17-Jan-23 15:21:24

Trolls and Troublemakers

We hope you will find the vast majority of Gransnet discussions genuinely informative, supportive and friendly (even when we all disagree with each other!) Unfortunately, from time to time, all sites are visited by troublemaking "trolls", for whom friendly supportive chat is definitely not on the agenda. (For those who don't know, a troll is someone who poses as someone else in order to cause chaos, fulfil their own perverted agenda, or just for the hell of it.)

If you suspect someone of being a troll, please don't accuse them publicly on the discussion thread (if you're wrong, you could cause untold hurt; if you're right, you'll merely be giving them just the kind of attention they're after).

Instead, please report your suspicions to us (either by reporting a post of theirs or by mailing us at [email protected]) and we'll check them out.

Please bear in mind that we'd rather err on the side of being taken in than of accusing a genuine poster who's in need of support of being a troll.

All above taken from GN's talk Guidelines. Somebody who posts differently to someone else and says something you don't like, is not a troll.

HTH