Gransnet forums

Education

Is this a genuine advert - it's 2024

(34 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Mar-24 09:50:12

This just came up in my Gransnet feed -from LEGO.

I can't believe it's only for GIRLS and felt so annoyed and disappointed.
I have a grandson who would love this! grin
Only a lighthearted post really - but amazed they are still advertising like this!

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Mar-24 09:50:34

Forgot the image!

sarahcyn Wed 06-Mar-24 09:54:14

Playmobil also have a plethora of sickly pink "girl-oriented" sets...it's dementing. It seems that the more gender fluid the authorities say we have to be, the more rigidly gender-stereotyped are the toys which sell!

Grandmabatty Wed 06-Mar-24 09:54:34

It is very disappointing to see that. Casual sexism has no place today. On a related note, I haven't eaten a Yorkie bar since their advert 'Not for girls.' Not has my daughter.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 06-Mar-24 10:04:14

Astonishing from LEGO - originating from equality- promoting Scandinavia.

Louella12 Wed 06-Mar-24 10:09:45

Anyone can purchase this LEGO for a boy or a girl.

My family are LEGO obsessed and they've introduced new ranges recently perhaps leaning towards females . Its not that big a deal.

LEGO is most certainly not just for children. The price of some kits is eye watering.

Grandmabatty Wed 06-Mar-24 10:53:22

Louella I think you've missed the line from Lego which states 'lego sets for girls.'

Grandmabatty Wed 06-Mar-24 10:54:15

And it is a big deal promoting stereotypes in advertising

TinSoldier Wed 06-Mar-24 10:58:02

I have no idea why this is flagged for girls and should not have been.

The building is part of the LEGO Friends range and called Heartlake City Community Centre.. You can buy it in Asda or John Lewis for £130 and Smyth's for £110:

www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-friends/c/SM06010705

Still Life is a book of postcards featuring Lego designs widely available for under £20.

The Lego online shop is not gendered.

Ilovecheese Wed 06-Mar-24 11:02:28

Lego seems to have regressed by about 40 years. Very much more gender neutral in the 1980s.

And while yes, an adult can buy this set for either sex, it is the wrong message to be stated for children to read.

Maggiemaybe Wed 06-Mar-24 11:52:52

I think the regression is rife amongst many brands and stores. I can’t remember seeing aisles labelled as toys for girls and toys for boys in the 80s, but I saw one recently and saw a boy being hustled away by his mother from the “girls’ toys” he was obviously interested in.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Mar-24 12:01:30

I think the Lego Friends set is aimed towards girls, if it gets them interested in construction I cannot see the problem.

Out GD loves the Lego Friends play sets and has lots of them and role plays with the characters. Her brother leans towards the cars and dinosaurs ranges, but will play along with his sister and her Lego Friends as she does with his dinosaur sets.

Our teenage GS is Lego obsessed and some of the kits are upwards of £300.00.

A couple of our DiL’s have the Lego flowers and bonsai sets, they find them relaxing to construct.

I really cannot see the problem with the advertising, all children differ, some girls gravitate towards pink girly things some do not. Some boys are into cars and guns some have their own doll (two of our GS’s have a dolly and pram)

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Mar-24 12:08:55

The problem with the advertising is that it's an outdated idea to market by gender.
It's not the 1950s!

I am disappointed in LEGO.

TinSoldier Wed 06-Mar-24 13:01:23

If this has come via GN then I would be asking HQ where it has come from because there is nowhere else (that I can find on the web) showing these products flagged as Sets for Girls.

You can go to the Lego site and search on say "Toys for Girls but it returns a whole range of products that aren't gendered including a lot of Harry Potter sets.

It suspect this is a composite image produced on Photoshop or similar by some third party supplier of Lego products. Only HQ can tell you who the advertiser is.

JenniferEccles Fri 08-Mar-24 12:58:45

Well it doesn’t actually say ONLY for girls, does it?

When I’m looking for presents for my grandchildren, I’m quite pleased that toy shops have boys sections and girls sections.

It’s left up to parents and grandparents to use their own judgement about which type of toy would be suitable for their child, according to their interests.

Personally, I think there’s too much fuss made these days about alleged ‘gender stereotyping’

We are all well aware that some little girls prefer playing with cars etc rather than dolls, and that’s absolutely fine.

This Lego packaging is nothing to get hot under the collar about in my opinion!

Freya5 Fri 08-Mar-24 16:40:26

Oh dear, first world moaning. Advertised for girls, and made by
boys too. As if this would really stop anyone from buying , for their child of whatever sex, and them making this.

Maggiemaybe Fri 08-Mar-24 19:39:59

Who’s moaning? hmm

As I said, I did see a boy being firmly led away from the “girls’ aisle” and told that those toys weren’t for him. I personally think it’s sad that businesses reinforce these views.

stevediaz Sat 09-Mar-24 08:12:33

The problem with the advertising is that it's an outdated idea to market by gender.
It's not the 1950s!
for more information check www.igmguru.com/microsoft-training/powerapps-training/

Grammaretto Sat 09-Mar-24 08:25:33

I wonder how many grans on here are still knitting pink for girls etc?

What is the reason for finding out the gender of a baby in advance if not to give plenty of time to prepare the nursery. hmm
I am shocked by lego.

nanna8 Sat 09-Mar-24 08:36:15

Maybe things have gone full circle- back to the nineteenth century?

Galaxy Sat 09-Mar-24 08:47:48

And people are moaning about people expressing a view, how first world is that.

Grammaretto Sat 09-Mar-24 08:53:40

Who is that aimed at Galaxy?

Galaxy Sat 09-Mar-24 08:58:11

Freya is moaning about people expressing a view. That's quite 'first world moaning' in my book.

Grammaretto Sat 09-Mar-24 09:01:58

When my 3rd son was 2, a toy library opened in our town. All he wanted was a dolls' buggy.
He is now in his 40s, has 2 DDs, one of whom plays football in a national league.

Galaxy Sat 09-Mar-24 09:04:51

Werent Mumsnet involved in the let toys be toys campaign? I vaguely remember they were.