Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Denied contact with grandchildren

(195 Posts)
Debcz Fri 07-Jun-19 13:55:38

After deciding they would like to convert a barn on our farm my daughter and her husband sold their house and moved in with us. They stayed for 2 years,living rent free. Their second son was born whilst they lived with us and we have undertaken a large amount of child care. They moved out in January, into the barn across the yard from us but still expected regular support with childcare including the children staying with us for 2 nights whilst they attended his mother’s funeral in Durham last month. Just before whit when dropping my grandson at school as usual the head invited me to watch his class play rehearsal.
Because I did my daughter and her husband have stopped all contact with the children saying that it was disrespectful of me to attend without seeking their permission. I’m at my wits end trying to understand this. Can anyone help me to do so?

Sandmb Sat 14-Mar-20 23:01:19

I would definately try a mediator to get to the bottom of it as it sounds very petty about not asking about a school play. She should be thankful you watched the school play so tge child didn’t have no one

Starlady Wed 07-Aug-19 19:22:28

Deb, I'm sorry this has come to a court case. I hope it is all worked out as quickly and fairly as possible. But I know court cases can take a long time. Sadly, while you're in litigation, I doubt the personal relationship will improve. Please keep us posted. xx

Starlady Wed 07-Aug-19 19:10:34

Hmmm... If the parents had ever asked her not to come to school events, for whatever reason, or not to come unless they invite her, that may be why they were angry at her going o the rehearsal. In fact, if attending school events has been an issue between them, that may be why they didn't believe her. However, there does seem to be more going on there than just that.

Lindadrew, I'm so sorry your planned visit was canceled and that you have dealt w/ the drama of family problems both as a child and a GP. Do you really think your parents were "snakes" though? What reasons did they give you, if any, for cutting off so much family? You must have missed them terribly and again, I'm so sorry.

As for your GC, it sounds as if DS is trying. Perhaps he should talk it over w/ XDIL before he gives you an answer in the future though? Then you won't get all prepared, just to be disappointed. Does he have visitation? Perhaps he can bring your GC to see you on his time, now and then? In that case, I don't think XDIL will be able to prevent it.

Debcz Wed 07-Aug-19 09:36:28

His mother died good Friday morning. He immediately went to see his father. Our daughter and the kids spent all Easter weekend with us. They constantly texted each other about the motor home they would buy with the inheritance money that weekend. Alarm bells should have rung in my head. Can’t see any evidence of grief there.
Realise that sounds bitter but it is a factual account of what happened.

Razzmatazz123 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:07:21

Or there is the old saying "mad with grief" maybe your sil is going through something after losing his mother and needs help

Lessismore Wed 07-Aug-19 08:54:25

so sorry OP. A rotten state of affairs.

Razzmatazz123 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:53:55

Deb, have you thought about trying a family mediator? In some cases courts ask for that anyway as a first step? I don't know if that applies to this situation. It might help you guys to work through this and understand the real reasons here... Even if it just proves you right. Or it may be that you can save yourself retirement money.

crazyH Wed 07-Aug-19 08:49:40

Everything in writing, even with your own children. I loaned some money to each of my children (interest free of course ), which they had to pay back monthly (small amount). It was all done in writing, signed, sealed and delivered.

Debcz Wed 07-Aug-19 08:37:01

I’ve just returned to this after a while. I had thought it had come to a close.
Razzmatazz, I was a head teacher. I fully appreciate the running of a school.
My gc school is a very small private school. 13 pupils in my gc year. As such the head knows everyone very well. I dropped off and collected my gc 3 days per week at the classroom door. The play rehearsal was in the form of an assembly with the whole school present. Others who could not get to the one performance were there.
Yes, it doesn’t make any sense.
We too have come to the conclusion that it was just an excuse.
Sadly, we believe that it was all about wanting to sell the property and make a land grab. The original agreement between us was that the barn was for them to live in. We did not want to do it if they just wanted to sell. They agreed to this at the time. Unfortunately this was only verbal.
They are now trying to claim the field behind the barn. We are having to go to court.
We still have no contact with the gc as sil says we are dangerous. Our solicitor referred to the situation as a form of blackmail.
This is our retirement home. We looked forward to a peaceful life.
We have unfortunately learned the hard way the importance of getting all agreements even with family in writing.

Lessismore Tue 06-Aug-19 15:52:20

I would hope school is all areas have measures in place to protect children and young adults.

pinkquartz Tue 06-Aug-19 15:11:56

having read this thread for the first time I do wonder what has developed since.

OP I hope a more positive outcome? or understanding has occurred. This is a very sad and puzzling situation. I thought that the SIL might have been behind even the changes in your DD but maybe not. It was strange how it all changed after his own DM died.

pinkquartz Tue 06-Aug-19 15:06:56

I think schools in inner cities are probably more stringent than those in rural areas and OP has stated she lives on a farm . So probably does live in a rural area

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:59:40

Neither scenario makes sense to me, but it does seem to be a misunderstanding where hurt people are lashing out at each other and escalating rather than resolving it. Often in problems it's the escalation rather than the origin that seems to break relationships for good?

Smileless2012 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:44:55

Yes, that is the 'issue' according to the OP's daughter Razzmatazz, she chose not to believe her mother's account which as you've stated makes no sense.

Goodness knows why they've decided to treat the OP and her poor husband so cruelly but as I posted earlier, they were looking for an excuse and seemed to find one.

Of course a telephone call to the school would have sorted this out but they clearly don't want to sort it which is why they didn't ask the school what had happened.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:36:28

Having read it all again, OP states that the parents refused to believe the head let her in to see the play.
What I have missed is that the daughter alleges the OP snuck in. That makes no sense either as it would be incredibly hard for anyone to sneak into a school. Not impossible if doors were open at the right times, but generally someone would notice a stranger without a visitor badge and address the issue.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:29:53

Trisher you need to stop challenging me by name so that I can stop needing to defend myself to you. Please use your common sense. I do apologise if I got caught up in the problem with the play. I was simply trying to understand why a daughter would stop speaking to a parent over that. It makes no sense to me. I hope they find a way to work through this.

Lessismore Tue 06-Aug-19 13:16:15

Dear me, this really isn't about a school play at all is it? What on earth has the world become when a teacher/head can't ask GP who are known to them to pop in for 5 minutes.

Of course any attempt to harm children is wrong and security has to be in place. A key code,a secretary,a clear policy is what is needed.

Is no child harmed ever? Sadly as we know, evil people will find a way.

The problem is not about the school play, I think it goes back to the property and the child care and possible MH issues???

trisher Tue 06-Aug-19 13:14:16

Mmm- do not speak to me further. I meant no harm to anyone and I don't appreciate your determination otherwise. I will afford you the same courtesy
But apparently you won't!.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:07:44

I did not give misleading information. Signing in and out on a planned visit ie: parents evening or a performance is the bare minimum. That planned visit should be risk assessed as I said. Volunteers coming into the school should be DBS checked. Contractors coming into school should also be DBS checked, accompanied by a member of staff at all times or come outside school hours. So perhaps that is why OP was not believed by her daughter, not by me who fully understands corners are cut here and there all though I would not do that as I take my job very seriously. I would like you to respect my wish that we discontinue this conversation. You are making me feel very uncomfortable in what I thought was a friendly space and I shouldn't have to defend my character to you.

trisher Tue 06-Aug-19 12:52:37

Razzmatazz123 Perhaps you should apologise to the OP then for misleading information? I'll certainly apologise to you if anything I have said is wrong or you find it offensive to be corrected.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:39:16

Trisher, do not speak to me further. I meant no harm to anyone and I don't appreciate your determination otherwise. I will afford you the same courtesy.

trisher Tue 06-Aug-19 12:35:43

Razzamatazz123 You posted There are complicated safeguarding risk assessments that need to be carried out. People coming into the school at other times must have criminal checks. Perhaps that is why they do not believe it, most parents know clearly they cannot just come in to school
Well actually none of this is true. The only requirement is that visitors should be signed in and out. I'm not being agressive simply pointing out that you are mistaken and that you should look at the other possibilities which you somehow seem unable to. Your school may have such stringent policies other schools do not and doubting the OP isn't helping her.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:02:23

Trisher I am not scaremongering I am a teacher, deputy head and safeguarding lead. I simply know my job. I was trying to help because it looks like a misunderstanding has occurred here. I was explaining what parents would not only know, but would expect from a school to keep their children safe. OP stated that the parents disbelieved her and I was explaining why they might do so. The situation has escalated through the post to what looks like estrangement and if that could be prevented that would be the best outcome. Perhaps you should re read my comments, I have no ill intention and I am not sure why you are being so aggressive.

trisher Tue 06-Aug-19 11:10:24

Razzmataz stop reading into this posting which aren't there. There is no indication that the OP was the only GP invited. Perhaps the head simply asked in passing "Are you coming tomorrow" and others were invited. Please could you stop scaremongering about safeguarding the only restrictions on a school are that all visitors should be signed in and out. This has nothing to do with the criminal checks you commented on earlier. As I said you have no idea about the circumstances surounding the event, if you wanted more information the polite thing to do would be to ask not cast aspersions on the OP's statement.

Razzmatazz123 Tue 06-Aug-19 10:50:41

That doesn't mean this head didn't do things differently. They should not have though. Especially as inviting one person to the rehearsal would be unfair on others who couldn't attend the planned performances.