Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Boxed memories. Advice needed.

(33 Posts)
Razzmatazz123 Fri 30-Aug-19 10:39:06

I am a bit shocked that after 6 years my mother is suddenly reaching out to my children. Perhaps because they are both adults now? She is a year out, my daughter just turned 19 and my mother never even spelt her name correctly let alone remembered her birthday without prodding. It was quite an emotional evening last night. A parcel came addressed to both children. My daughter still lives with us, and my son was so curious he came straight from work. Inside was my entire childhood in pictures. My son thought the pictures are strange, because he has a million pictures of his little daughter on her own, but there was not a single picture of me that did not contain other family. I am sure those pictures exist. There were things I had made her as a child (not many, she hates clutter) and a few of the mothers day cards I have sent over the years. There was also a letter stating that she has money saved for them if they contact her, but only her email (the same I was ignored on). No address or telephone number. My son said they should get the money and use it for us all to have a nice meal or day out, but I don't feel comfortable with that and my daughter doesn't want money that in her words, she has to jump through hoops for.

So here is where I need advice. Both my children have no interest in these pictures. I do have pictures of myself growing up from my father. Definitely no interest in the cards and gifts I made. They think I should throw the whole lot away. There is a big part of me that wants to keep them even though they weren't sent to me. Thoughts?

LostChild Mon 02-Sep-19 13:50:23

Deleted at users request

LostChild Mon 02-Sep-19 13:54:10

I only joined to answer this post, I thought it was Mumsnet at first, never had an account there. So I probably shouldn't be here as I am not a nan! So very sorry to butt in on the conversation, just struck a cord with me.

sodapop Mon 02-Sep-19 16:35:57

Well done Razzmatazz you have raised two sensible balanced children, you should be proud of them. You have made your decision and now get on with your life and enjoy time with your own family. Good luck.

Smileless2012 Mon 02-Sep-19 17:24:46

There's no need to apologise LostChild you're more than welcome here, it's not just nan's who post and we do get posters from Mumsnet too.

Looking at your other post it's clear that your mother has branded you as a liar so if you ever did talk about what had happened, no one would believe you.

You sound as if despite everything you've managed to build a happy life for yourself and it's good to hear that you have a good relationship with your fathersmile.

LostChild Mon 02-Sep-19 17:47:55

That's really kind of you, thank you! It's difficult because a lot of people view mothers as perfect wonderful beings. I wish that were true. I think realistically being a good mum is very hard work, full of mistakes and bloody exhausting. The good ones are the ones who think they screwed it up! My mum will do anything to stay on her pedestal. Including stand on my shoulders to do it. So the weight has now been lifted.

Smileless2012 Tue 17-Sep-19 14:51:24

Was looking for something this morning and found in a drawer a birthday card we bought for youngest GC last yearhmm.

We always buy 2, one to send and one for the memory box so yet again I've told myself I must get organised and get everything gathered so far put into the box. Well actually it's like a small toy chest we had made for GC with their names engraved on the front.

It's never easy choosing cards you know wont be received, and yet having done so I seem to have a mental block when it comes to putting them in the memory box specially bought for that very reason.

Starlady Wed 18-Sep-19 21:15:10

Just catching up w/ this thread. Glad you and your AC made your decisions about the contents of that box, Razz. I agree w/ others that you have raised two kind, wise AC.

I'm not surprised by the memory box or the money offered. Often, I read/hear about GPs saving just this kind of box to leave to their EGC upon their (the GP's) death or to send them when they are 18 or so. As you may have noticed, this very topic has often come up on this site.

Also, I've heard/read of GPs saving money for their EGC to give them as adults or leave to them in their will. IMO, it took a lot of character for your AC to turn that money down. Don't be surprised, though, if she still leaves it to them in her will, just to try to have her way. Maybe not, but if she does, they can always give it to a favorite charity.

Love your/their ideas about the pictures! How true that they record the "family tree" w/o passing down any of the unhappiness.