Gransnet forums

Estrangement

ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences)

(116 Posts)
notanan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 22:45:50

I really dont think "doing the opposite" = breaking the cycle. Breaking the cycle means being neutral and unaffected by past traumas, whereas "doing the opposite" is actually focusing on the traumas and becoming dogmatic as a result. "The opposite" of a bad parenting practice isnt nevessarily a good parenting practice, because you can end up going too far to the other end of spectrum which can be just as bad

Ginny42 Sun 29-Sep-19 22:33:58

I looked at the website, but none of the descriptors matched any reason why I had a challenging childhood. Our mother was very sick after the birth of my younger sister and that left me with a very strong sense that I did not want to be ill whilst my DD was young. I did not want her to go through what we three sisters experienced.

Mother died on my 21st birthday and scars from that kind of experience run deep. No one's fault; no bad parenting; no neglect, as we were often cared for by aunties, in fact I lived with one auntie for a long time whilst my sister was a baby, but it wasn't 'normal'.

Mother laughed a lot in spite of everything and whenever I think of her, I see her laughing. Mum and Dad both laughed a lot and perhaps that mitigates against the worst of the pain that I remember their laughter.

rosecarmel Sun 29-Sep-19 22:14:23

It's a difficult process for sure but doable- (Resilience is a beautiful thing) Similar to how lifestyle and diet changes can improve depression-

M0nica Sun 29-Sep-19 22:08:40

I think that link, while not psychbabble, plays to current concerns. You can be in a position where you suffer none of the above but still have a difficult childhood.

Among the items not mentioned on the list are the effects on a child of long term health problems or having a sibling with a disabilty or long term illness, separation from your family for a significant period, by beeing in hospital or having a paret who is absent from home; in the navy or merchant navy, or someone with a job that takes them away from home.

However some children seem to come through all kinds of difficult childhoods without letting it ruin their future lives.

On the otherhand some children will see problems where none existed.

The human psyche is resilient and adaptable.

Sara65 Sun 29-Sep-19 22:05:15

Hetty

I think my brother was less confrontational than me, so just kept under the radar!

Hetty58 Sun 29-Sep-19 21:58:20

I too, after a difficult childhood, would automatically do things very differently from my parents (perhaps making different mistakes). Still, I believe there are hundreds of 'right' ways to bring up children.

I have a friend who was badly neglected as a child and is permanently damaged by it. She's been an excellent mother, though. Her brother had the exact same upbringing, but (perhaps due to his personality) was never troubled by it. We are so individual that there are many different paths we can take.

Rebellious Sun 29-Sep-19 21:45:26

Some people are stronger than they know. They find and nurture their own support systems and the resulting love and security undoes the trauma.

Sara65 Sun 29-Sep-19 21:40:13

My brother always says, when in any doubt about how to deal with one of his children, he always thinks about what our parents would have done, and does the opposite.

He’s a very good father, and his children are an absolute credit to him and my sister in law.

We had a rather cold upbringing, but I don’t think either of us has carried it through to the next generation.

Grannyknot Sun 29-Sep-19 21:35:30

It's not psychobabble. The need to practice "trauma-informed care" in treating complex cases (by doctors and other professionals) is becoming more and more accepted.

GagaJo Sun 29-Sep-19 21:28:02

I was quite traumatised by my childhood until I was, I don't know, 25-30. But fortunately, the effects wore off eventually. I assumed I'd be affected permanently, but nope. I may have residual traces, but I genuinely think I've left it behind now.

Starblaze Sun 29-Sep-19 21:11:59

This is amazing, I've done so much reading and worked a lot on resilience with a counsellor and it changed me as a parent. We are so fortunate to have so much more access to help these days!

Rebellious Sun 29-Sep-19 21:03:13

Psychobabble is the misuse of psychology terms that create confusion, which this is not aggie.

I hope you can open your mind a little some day, it can only be of benefit to you and others around you.

Rebellious Sun 29-Sep-19 20:57:25

"Fortunately, brains and lives are somewhat plastic. The appropriate integration of resilience factors born out of ACE concepts — such as asking for help, developing trusting relationships, forming a positive attitude, listening to feelings — can help people improve their lives."

This is what is needed to turn it around and break the cycle as well as repair the brain. A cycle cannot be broken while abuse is continues so Estrangement is sometimes necessary.

HettyMaud Sun 29-Sep-19 20:51:47

Very interesting. Having been brought up in the 1950s/60s I think parenting was typically very different back then. I remember no hugs or expressions of affection from my parents. My father regularly smacked me. I was forced to eat meat. Only when I got to my early teens did this stop. I must say, I remember it vividly and that's why I was so fond of my kind grandparents. When I had my children I smacked them as I thought it was normal. If I had them now I wouldn't dream of it. I am quite needy and emotional - who knows if this is my nature or my upbringing.

aggie Sun 29-Sep-19 20:49:31

Pscycobabble

Rebellious Sun 29-Sep-19 20:44:07

This may be of interest to everyone here.

It tests how many Adverse Childhood Experiences you had. If your ACEs score is high there is a likelihood you will pass parts of your experience down to your own children without help and support.

www.acesconnection.com/blog/got-your-ace-resilience-scores

In the UK it is thought that approximately 8-10% of mothers will experience estrangement from one or more children. As you can see on the website, given the number of children who face 4 or more ACEs the estrangement percentage is really quite low.

I hope this may be of use.