Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Unbearable sadness- blocked with no reason from 4 GK

(84 Posts)
Curlywhirly Mon 04-Nov-19 12:46:59

Is there any person that both you and your daughters know (family member/friend) that may be able to shed any light on the reason for the estrangement?

Hithere Mon 04-Nov-19 12:32:49

I am so sorry you are in so much pain.

You may want to go down memory lane and try to see what changed before your dd1 with 3 gc stopped talking to you. Any bad jokes, comments, minor misunderstandings?

How was your relationship with your daughters growing up? With your gcs?
How often did you see your dd1 and dd2 and gc?

Having a divorce further complicates things. Was it a happy marriage? Was it a difficult divorce? How old were your kids when the divorced happened?
How was the coparenting relationship between you and ex?

These answers will help shed light into what happened.

From your OP, it is clear you cannot trust your ex.

Apologizing for "whatever happened/ everything I did wrong" is NOT an apology. I know it came out of desperation to fix this problem but please do not say something like that again. It is called faux apology and may have made the estrangement even worse.

Your dd2 and ex have a history of physical violence. Please watch out for yourself. I hope you were not in the receiving end of those attacks in the past.

Concentrate on the positive - your career, social life, hobbies, etc.
You deserve to be happy.

Alexa Mon 04-Nov-19 11:38:16

Anna4, estrangement from loved family is cruel loss. {flowers]

At least you are an active and professional person with a career. So you have not lost your identity or self esteem. Now is good time to concentrate on your own needs and protect yourself against further damage from your relations.

Obviously you want to have good idea of what exactly alienated them. The best I can suggest is to try to remember they said to you the last times you met, including what they might have said while expressing anger. Are your relations the sort of people who act impulsively or act upon reasoned reflection?

crazyH Mon 04-Nov-19 10:06:16

So cruel and so sad for you. I have a daughter who can be verbally very cruel and sometimes I do feel like limiting contact with her, but.......
I feel your Ex has something to do with it. I know when I was divorced from her Father, he tried to poison their minds, although he was the philanderer.
Be patient.....they will see the error of their ways. flowers

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Nov-19 09:55:04

How cruel of your daughters to cut you off without a word of explanation, and not to respond to your contact. Do you think your ex could have stirred this up, as he seems to be enjoying the situation? You’ve done what you can, sending them cards and flowers. I’d do as Smileless suggests, keep quiet for now and see what happens. Fingers crossed for you. thanks

BlueBelle Mon 04-Nov-19 09:07:38

How awful to have no clue as to what you ve done can you think of nothing? how did the last meeting end? as normal hugs and kisses and normal goodbyes?
Are the two girls close, can one have been offended and pulled the other in?
I hate mysteries
I don’t know what else you can do except keep the door open and hope they want to see you soon
Are the grandkids old enough to have text contact, without mentioning the estrangement of course ?

Smileless2012 Mon 04-Nov-19 09:01:45

I'm so very sorry Anna; to be treated this way by one adult child is bad enough goodness knows, but to have this happen with both must be devastating.

Having sent cards and flowers, and given a blanket apology it might be worth staying quiet for a while and see if they make contact with you.

Sussexborn Sun 03-Nov-19 19:45:08

It must be incredibly hard when you don’t know why this has happened. Hopefully they will relent at some point. Probably when they need you for something.

Anna4 Sun 03-Nov-19 19:35:33

Hello, This is my first post in this forum. I'm an active and professional person with a career, divorced - but I am also a grandmother of 4 children from two daughters. I have not seen my grand kids for 10 months - since xmas time last year, nor have I heard from my daughters. One daughter, with 3 children, I had thought I had been close to, has cut me off with no expressed reason whatsoever. My other daughter who has one child, has had a 10 year psychiatric history of borderline personality disorder and a police record for assault on other school mates, has also blocked me from seeing my grandchild from her. I have written letters to both, apologizing for 'whatever I have done', sent flowers, cards but they don't respond in any way. I have reached out to their father to ask for his help in intervening - but he is not helpful. He almost gloats. He himself has a police record of assault, and doesn't care about the damage of estrangement I have w my daughters' blocking of seeing my grandkids. I am not an enmeshed -style mother, I respect my children, but they have sucker punched me with this unbelievable agony of not seeing them, their husbands or their kids. This is killing me. I am at a loss.