Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why you might be estranged... aka the same theme/attitude of EP/EGP's that EAC understand.

(1001 Posts)
HolyHannah Tue 17-Dec-19 05:47:17

Today I have come across the same theme from EP/EGP's...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjn-ymF_LGg

This copied from another site:

And they wonder why they're still estranged.

From EP Facebook page.

"I DON’T GIVE A RAT’S (EXPLETIVE) WHAT ADULT ESTRANGED CHILDREN ARE THINKING.

You heard me. That’s a pretty strong statement, and it comes with some pretty strong feelings. After scanning the estrangement pages this morning, I am just so overwhelmed with sadness and anger for parents of EC’s, I needed to say something, and I wanted to make sure everybody heard me... so I put it in all caps.

I come to these communities and what I see are parents of all shapes and sizes with broken hearts pouring their guts out... parents that would do anything to have their children back in their lives. These are not bad people or abusers. These are not battle-hardened narcissists that want their children to suffer as they have. These are good people bearing unimaginable pain and hoping that something... anything they say will open a door and bring their children home.

So, you heard me. I am not interested in understanding adult estranged children.

I “get” them just fine. I don’t care why they do what they do, and I don’t care how unbelievable their actions are. I am not interested in their side of the story, and I am not interested in making them feel better. They are adults, they are creating this situation and they have plenty of “Dump Your Family Now” pages to help them feel better about the choice they have made.

I don’t care what estranged adult children are thinking.

I don’t care if there is a reason for their actions in their mind or not. I don’t care if their behavior is erratic and difficult to understand, or just downright cruel. I don’t care if Mommy and Daddy were imperfect humans and I don’t care if they never got that pony they wanted growing up. When a parent loves, cares, and tries, this stuff is inexcusable.

What I AM interested in is saving lives.

Your lives.

Because this stuff nearly killed me... and make no mistake, it can kill you too. Whether it’s your literal death through suicide, heart problems or diabetes from stress and other diseases, or the figurative death of your soul through long, slow, endless agonizing self- doubt, make no mistake this stuff can kill you.

IF YOU LET IT.

I think most people that know my writings by now know that I am a pretty sensitive person. But I am also unbelievably strong. But I didn’t start out that way... I earned it. through tears, pain and hellfire, I earned it. But the funny thing about hellfire is that it “Tempers” you. It makes you harder and stronger... you go into it red hot, but when you are done pouring a bucket of tears on it, the steel that is left is stronger than ever before. If you haven’t already, you are going to need to learn that strength as well.

I have said it many times. I don’t want any parent to ever go through what I have been through... and still, most of you already have. I was too late. But there is still something I can do. I can say this... over and over until it helps someone...

We all get down and depressed about our children’s choice, but you can’t stay there. You can’t. The world needs you. Stop the questions. You know the ones. We all miss our children. But your job was to raise them... not to die for them. That’s a futile sacrifice that will fall on deaf ears... and frankly, I believe it’s an affront to God to throw away your life... the beautiful gift that has been given you. Stop wasting it pining away for someone that couldn’t care less if you live or die.

I don’t care what estranged adult children are thinking.

BECAUSE ESTRANGEMENT IS ABOUT POWER. You may not understand why your child has chosen to do this. Their reasons may make no sense at all. That’s common, and it’s the most painful part. But you better understand this, and learn it quickly. Estrangement is about one thing. It’s about power and control... and you have two choices: You can either watch your life slip away mired down in those swirling thoughts... Why? What happened? Do they love me? Why won’t they love me? Can you believe this? Well... have you ever seen what happens to toilet water once it gets done swirling around in the bowl?

Or, you can reclaim your power, your life, and your place in this world by saying “Enough kid, I love you, but I have paid enough”.

Who is the parent in this relationship anyway?..."

And another quote from an EP/EGP, "Also, I, for one, cannot find it in myself to proffer a comforting bosom to any wayward daughters/daughters-in-law. However much they regard themselves to be not in the least little bit wayward.

I will always be on the side of their mums/mils's."

How many demonstrations/examples/truths must be cited before My/Our reality is seen?

FlyingFree Tue 17-Dec-19 22:20:17

@Mollymalone6 you said it so much better!

Mollymalone6 Tue 17-Dec-19 22:22:43

FF ? we did it x

FlyingFree Tue 17-Dec-19 22:27:06

❤️

Smileless2012 Tue 17-Dec-19 22:52:04

I apologise for misinterpreting your post FlyingFree.

Having not watched the video I can't comment on that, my posts have been in reference to what was written in the OP and in that context, I thought your post made some interesting and valid points rosecarmel.

FlyingFree Tue 17-Dec-19 22:54:00

That's okay ❤️

Smileless2012 Tue 17-Dec-19 23:05:17

Thank you FlyingFreesmile (sorry can only do GN's emoji's and there isn't a heart).

love0c Wed 18-Dec-19 08:29:05

I haven't watched the video. I do wonder with estrangement, regardless of who is the estranger. Is it a case of the longer it goes on the harder it is to put right. The longer it goes on the longer you are suffering and to then 'make up', is just so difficult because you would need to accept that the suffering you have endured has been for nothing? As the old saying goes 'If you fall off your horse the sooner you get back on the better'. Or is it a case of you both need and want the estrangement to be over as much as each other and until you both do the estrangement will stand?

FlyingFree Wed 18-Dec-19 09:15:00

My horse was a bit of a biter and a kicker, then it threw me off and ran away! I still like horses tho x

love0c Wed 18-Dec-19 09:22:48

FlyingFree That is lovely! smile Life sure isn't always easy is it. Bless you for carrying on smiling!! smile

Smileless2012 Wed 18-Dec-19 09:40:09

I think it's both loveOc. I do think that the longer the estrangement goes on for, the harder it is to try and bring about change.

Maybe sometimes for the estranger they feel they have let it go on for long that it's too late to do anything about it. For the one estranged, the longer it goes on the more they feel things will never change and just think there's no point in reaching out.

That doesn't apply when the estrangement is the result of abuse but when abuse isn't a factor I think in many cases it does.

It's lovely to see such a positive outlook on life from someone who had such a difficult beginning FlyingFreesmile.

love0c Wed 18-Dec-19 10:00:06

I do so agree Smileless. smile I could be totally wrong but I do think it has somehow become 'fashionable' to the younger generation to 'get rid' of anything and anyone who they 'think at the time' they do not like? smile

love0c Wed 18-Dec-19 10:01:00

Not in the case of genuine abuse though!

FlyingFree Wed 18-Dec-19 10:41:24

Think we have to take all the stories individually! Not sure it's a new handbag type of thing we just see it more now we are all connected by the interwebs or maybe people just always moved far away and kept the relationship distant before x

love0c Wed 18-Dec-19 12:28:46

You have made a valid point there. Is it because so many relationships are only kept going by the web, txt, whatsapp etc. Whereas it used to be mostly face to face, telephone and maybe letter writing. These forms of contact are far more real and take time and effort and possibly require more care?

Smileless2012 Wed 18-Dec-19 13:06:18

I can see how a difficult relationship could be easier to sustain if there's some geographical distance between those involved. Less tension when the majority of contact is more impersonal via the web, texting etc.

FlyingFree Wed 18-Dec-19 13:36:50

Hmmm not sure for everyone cos my mum was always lovely in text! Made it all very confusing to get nice texts after she was mean or to get a nice text asking me to call her so she could be mean! Didn't want to leave evidence of meanness I suppose x

FlyingFree Wed 18-Dec-19 13:42:34

I was going to give examples until I remembered best not to! Mum is a very accomplished Internet stalker and has found me in a few supportive places. Won't look here though! x

Smileless2012 Wed 18-Dec-19 18:24:03

I hope she doesn't FlyingFree and you can be left in peace to share with us here.

FlyingFree Wed 18-Dec-19 19:08:10

That would be so amazing! Don't you think it's very odd that she doesn't know why I have estranged but she can Google my stories and find me that way! x

Smileless2012 Wed 18-Dec-19 19:26:32

She must know, how else would she know what to look for FlyingFree? She must be looking for posts that talk about your childhood experiences.

GN seems like a safe bet. You're not yet a GM so perhaps this is the last place she'd look. I certainly hope so.

HolyHannah Sun 22-Dec-19 06:19:46

www.quora.com/My-adult-daughter-stood-by-me-calling-me-a-bitch-I-saw-red-and-slapped-her-I-apologized-begging-her-forgiveness-She-claims-she-did-nothing-wrong-trying-to-turn-siblings-against-me-this-over-being-asked-to-help-with-dishes-What-should-I-do

What is truly shocking here is in the replies. We hear over and over again that abusive parents are rare... Or that EAC over-react or blow out of proportion the attitude of many parents (estranged or not).

"She no longer deserves the right to life. Being an object and a woman, she should obey all your commands. Just like in my home. The usual punishment for insubordination is death. I prefer burrying alive. Also, you do not need to apologise to objects. You just need to hit her harder next time or take her life. I do not see problem here?" being the most extreme reply.

Then there was the usual garden variety, "Clearly you should have hit her MORE when she was younger" types...

The usual, "You are the parent and she should respect you regardless!" In other words, IF 'mom' was actually acting like a 'B' before being called so? (for example -- daughter was REacting to something 'mom' said/did first is NOT lashing out 'for no reason') Then 'mom' slapping daughter is also a reaction from hearing something SHE (mom) didn't want to hear. The truth. "Mom... You're being/are a witch." Mom -- slap

For Me, now that I've been through recovery, when someone says something about me or judges/labels Me as something/someone I know I am not? I get sad. I have learned that most of the time people only get angry at a label if it is a negative one, like toxic/abusive/Narc and 'it' (the label) has more truth then fiction to the person/parent receiving the message.

Smileless2012 Sun 22-Dec-19 17:04:55

We all get sad and also angry if we're judged unfairly, labelled incorrectly and seen as someone we're not.

Unless we know the person who reacts to being on receiving end of a negative label, only then do we know if that label has more truth than fiction to that person's true nature.

Madgran77 Sun 22-Dec-19 18:28:39

Yes the replies are shocking but they are also hardly run of the mill! They are extreme! I am not entirely sure what the point is that you are trying to make?

Yennifer Sun 22-Dec-19 19:56:15

This is really bizarre. My mother would never ever admit to any of this. I wonder how bad it really was for their children with mums willing to admit that much? My mother would have everyone convinced she was wonderful and had never put a toe out of line.

Yennifer Sun 22-Dec-19 20:06:50

I've been called a narcissist before. It was an adult child of a narcissist in a group I admin. Her post broke the rules and was removed. I didn't get angry, I got scared. It took me a while to get over that one. I didn't even set the rules. Sometimes I wonder if only narcissists are 100% sure they aren't narcissists ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion