Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How to start reconciliation? (Very long sorry)

(99 Posts)
Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 04:35:33

Firstly I'd like to say that I am not a gran. I've been reading these forums for a while and this community sounds really lovely honestly. I haven't had any luck with advice in Parent groups as they are so harsh and quick to say things like restraining order. This is about my parents. I'm going to try and make it as short as possible sorry, but for true advice I feel like it has to have a lot of the story in it. Also please be gentle, I'm 9 months pregnant lol.

This is about my parents, I actually have a great relationship with my in-laws.

Over the years the relationship between my parents and my family has declined dramatically and we are now no contact. I still answer phone calls and talk to my mum. To hopefully make it shorter I'll list particular incidents in dot points.

- My dad was physically abusive to my older brothers (not me). He would grab them by the hair, push them against the wall, screaming and spitting in their faces.

- When I got married my parents were very jealous of in-laws even though we actually lived with my parents for a short time while our house was being built per their invitation. Things were okay, we did as asked.

- Most of the real problems started when we had our first child. My dad constantly said and did nasty things. The first event we held at my in-laws house was my sons baptism (engagement party and baby shower were all at my parents). I had 50+ guests as well as a 3 month old baby to look after. I showed my parents everything and spent some time specifically talking to them at different times but they ended up storming out of the event because they said they weren't getting enough attention. My dad almost closed the car door on me as I was trying to talk to him and ask what was wrong.

- I went back to work a couple afternoons a week and my parents wanted to watch our son. I was fine with this. Honestly the abuse of my brothers was a long time ago and I had never been struck. It was okay. I didn't have many instructions, but no hitting/smacking (son was 1), and don't give old formula. Try to get to nap if possible. Nothing fancy. A few months in my dad had been giving son hotdogs every single day. So I tried asking if maybe it could just be a treat food every once a while but not every day because of how unhealthy they are. My dad snapped at me that I was full of s* and ignored me for the rest of the day.

- One of the things that makes my dad most angry was that we never let him do the landscaping on our house. My dad is a builder. Initially we were happy to let him, hubby is a draftsperson and got engineer boss to design our retaining walls. In australia any retaining wall over 300cm must be engineered. These retaining walls were over 2000cm. My dad started carrying on that none of that was necessary, he wouldn't listen to any of the guidelines or laws. Hubby was getting so stressed as he just wouldn't listen that I said just hire someone. This is now thrown in our faces all the time.

- I'm pregnant again. I had post birth complications and so had to have an ultrasound. My parents watched both children at a mall nearby. I gave my parents open formula but told them it was only good for 15 minutes after that there was fresh formula in the bag. I return over an hour later and my dad is giving newborn the old milk. I try telling him that its old milk but my dad just starts shaking his head, rolling his eyes and turns away from me preventing me from taking newborn back. My husband and I decided here that we had really had enough of my parents constantly ignoring us.

- My dad is constantly nasty to me. Calling me names, telling me to shut my mouth in front of my kids (he does this to my mum too). Note I'm not arguing with him when he says this, it could be a simple thing like showing him something I was going to buy. I actually never argue with my dad, honestly he scares me too much.

- My dad also treats the kids horribly if my husband is around. If they walk up to him he will push them away. My husband is the nicest and kindest man he has literally never said anything to my dad despite the way he treats me.

- I tried writing a letter to him about how I felt when he called me names etc. It did not go well lol, and he wrote a nasty letter back signing his full name and not dad.

- My parents still come to kids celebrations but they always sit in a corner ignoring everyone (even the kids) and storm out halfway through. They have two other grandchildren and during my 2 year olds party my dad spent the entire time with niece and nephew not even acknowledging my son on his birthday.

- Christmas 2015 we are at their house as usual about to go into the pool. Oldest son is 2. We didn't quite know at the time (he has severe autism), but we knew that something was wrong. My dad takes son to the pool and then says no we go to the toilet before pool. Son was completely nonverbal and we had not started toilet training at all. I told my dad no, we weren't starting at that time and I didn't want to confuse him. He completely ignores me of course and marches son to the toilet (who's upset at leaving pool). We can hear protesting and its been a few minutes I send hubby in (I was very pregnant with Son 2). Pool is right outside toilet window so I hear all. Hubby says 'come on lets go time for pool' my dad argues 'NO he's going to the toilet.' Hubby tries again and again but my dad refuses to listen. He has restrained my 2 year old against the toilet. Eventually hubby just grabs son and takes him. My dad doesn't say a single word to us the rest of christmas day and we leave.

- When he was 3 oldest son is finally diagnosed with severe autism. This has been a huge problem in the family. My parents have even said to my face its my parenting (we don't hit him). At 6 my son is still mostly nonverbal and attends a special school. My parents refer to his classmates as mongoloids, retards, subbies (subhuman), all in front of him. I try to tell them its not appropriate but they gave some excuse that they are older and they don't the fancy new terms. I don't care what term, but slurs are never okay. They insist that son 1 is naughty and pretends that he doesn't understand anything. It can seriously take me 10 minutes to get him to pick up a plate. He'll pick up everything else or not know what to do with it. He doesn't understand but tries so hard.

- An example of this was my son not coming down from a playground. It wasn't that he didn't want to, he was stuck in a routine of only going down when one of us climbed up. He also didn't understand instructions of go down the slide. My dad starts raising his voice at him and immediately I stop him and actually argue with him telling him to leave him alone.

- Another huge issues is differences on medical treatment. Nephew was 2 and hospitalised with respiratory distress. Parents had to administer ventolin twice daily when he went home. I watched my brother holding him down to do ventolin and my parents stand over him while he's doing this saying they don't agree and that he's drugging him. Son 2 has bad asthma. He has been to hospital alot and even with ventolin and a preventer he has asthma attacks. I know that my parents wouldn't give him ventolin if he needed it, they have made it very clear how they feel about medicine.

- My parents love to drive me and the kids around. I'm not sure if its reliving old days or control but I put a stop to it. Despite me getting his car seats professionally installed my dad took them, took off safety clips and used a knot to anchor them. It was not safe and my dad is known for road rage and driving up to 50kms over the speed limit when hes angry at someone. This led to so many nasty calls that I was destroying their lives because I would rather meet them somewhere rather than be driven around.

- The first time we went out with me driving my kids, my dad would only walk 5m behind me, sit at a different table to me and ignore me. Son 2 (2 at the time) walked up to him and he pushed him away. I didn't go out again.

- Last year oldest son started kindergarten and my parents called me. They said that they no longer wanted to go out with just son 2, they had a special bond with son 1 because they had watched him when he was little. They have always favoured Son 1 and ignored Son 2. They demanded that we give them the kids once a fortnight overnight. I declined (asthma, not acknowledging son 1s special needs). Son 1 being autistic can wake up shrieking in the middle of the night for hours. Its draining, exhausting and he lashes out kicking etc. it can even be frightening to see. I just couldn't trust my dads reaction to this.

- Another argument, I tried to talk to my mum when she demanded to know why they couldn't watch the kids. I pointed out many examples and said these things need to happen first. For example, I need to be able to show them how to administer ventolin, I need to trust that they will give ventolin, they need to learn more about autism. I suggested they come along to a therapy appointment. They refused all of this and we were low contact.

- Another example we go out for a family birthday dinner. Son 1 melts down as soon as get to new restaurant as he has just woken up. My dad asks if he can take him to the playground. I say maybe later, I'd really like to calm him down first, and help him calm rather than rely on playgrounds to cheer up. The very next day I get a phone call that my dad has taken off to another state and is going to disappear because I won't let him do what he wants when he wants. Spoiler alert he does come back.

- We're kind of okay talking when my dad rings me. He says he wants to go on a family holiday but I have to tell him within the next 2 hours if we can go so it can be booked. We tell him we need way more time than that, hubby needs to see if he can get time off work etc. We do actually agree to go (hubby would've rather walked over hot coals but he left the decision to me). Also note I'm pregnant with our third. Trip is booked. My parents are paying accomodation, we pay our fuel and food, nice gesture on their part. HOWEVER I became extremely sick right before the trip. Not talking morning sickness, talking liver disease (ALT and AST were 450 and 350), I am vomiting (because of liver) and there were other physical problems with the pregnancy (baby was trapped and had to be manually moved by a doctor - incarcerated uterus). I also had active epstein barr virus, I couldn't eat, drink, or do anything. I was in and out of hospital. I was in hospital the day we were supposed to leave and my dad rings. My husband tries telling my dad how sick I am and my dad just keeps telling us to come the next day. He keeps making me feel guilty. I am released and the next day I ask hubby crying if we can just go (trip is a 9 hour drive with many points where there are no hospitals)

- During the trip I start bleeding and am told by birthing unit that I will probably lose the baby. I am miserable, so sick and meant to be on bed rest but we go. I try to sit and rest as much as I can. We do go to 2 theme parks with my parents. My dad tries to guilt us into driving an hour in the afternoon (after themepark) to IKEA and walking around with my aunty. I decline immediately and he has a bit of a tantrum. Honestly the trip didn't go too bad we thought. We weren't impressed with how my dad treated nephew (2 years old), he smacked him all the day most of the time with no warning and for small things 2 year olds do. When he wouldn't stop crying after being smacked, my dad lost his temper and shoved him hard. As soon as we returned I had a medical emergency and was admitted for several more days in hospital.

- We thought everything was fine. I spent some time at my parents house in the next, I went out with them. My dad did of course make some nasty comments but I brushed them off. However we asked if they wanted us to come over on fathers day and also celebrate Son 1s 6th birthday (same weekend). They seemed happy however when we got there my dad refused to leave the kitchen. Hubby said hi to him and he turned and walked away. Hubby told me, but I kind of brushed him off, maybe he was having a bad day. My dad was still talking to me. I definitely knew something was up when he started pushing his grandkids away from him, playing his computer, in general ignoring everyone but me. We ended up just leaving quite perplexed. I asked my mum and she said she would tell me later. It took her a month to call me. Apparently while on the holiday when we were walking back from the pool, we were nearly at the hotel room so hubby called out to Son 1 to catch up and hold his hand to walk in. My dad had been holding his hand and this was so offensive and horrible of my hubby. I was right there, it was nothing. It didn't matter how many times hubby asked my dad if he wanted to take Son1 on a ride etc. it meant nothing because he said "catch up ***" (name omitted).

So thats where we are. I haven't talked to them (apart from my mum ringing me to say what an awful person hubby is because of pool incident, that we are awful parents for keeping grandkids away (its mostly been them pushing the kids away). I tried to talk to her and ask how do we reconcile? What do u want the first step to be? She said no to just me and her having lunch, said no to all at dinner or the park, she said all of that takes to long. The only thing they will accept is me ringing them and asking them to take Son1 out for the day (not son2 lol). I of course said no and reminded her of the few things I wanted from them, that I told them a year ago, before they ever babysat (accept autism diagnosis, give ventolin etc).

So we're at a stale mate. I want to suggest family therapy but they think all therapists and doctors are scammers. I'm honestly just tired of my dad's temper tantrums. You'll notice I haven't mentioned my mum very much. My dad abuses her just as much. She showed him an item she wanted to buy on clearance and he said 'shut up shut up' and covered his ears and walked away? She was nearly crying. I feel bad for her but she constantly excuses his behaviour. He has her on a $20 a week allowance and told my husband that he should put me on an allowance. Hubby still laughs about this to this day. There has been so much more happen, but this is already too long.

I want my parents to be able to watch my kids grow and spend time with them, but I cannot trust them alone with them and they refuse to have anything to do with the grandkids unless its alone.

Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or things that have worked for you? I really can't take this stress much more.

JuliaM Wed 29-Jan-20 09:24:34

To be quite frank with you, if this was happening in the Uk and any of it was witnessed by a Teacher, Medic, or even a concerned 3rd party member of the public etc then Social services and the Child protection team would be involved and your children placed on the Child protection register as being ‘at risk’ and any contact from the abusive relatives banned, by a court order if necessary. You do not need to take this severe abuse from anyone, you, your Children and your husband deserve better. As others have said, best keep away from these people, they will only become more abusive and add to your stress related illnesses in the years to come.
Children often learn by example, what a poor role model your father is for them, and no doubt that part of the reason that you are tolerating this and have not moved away from the situation already is down to you witnessing and copying your mothers behaviour towards him when you were a child.

endlessstrife Wed 29-Jan-20 09:30:59

I could only read about a third of this and was seething!! What would you do if they weren’t your parents? Do that. I would never have let them near my children after the experience with your brothers. Don’t wait until tragedy, act now. All the best with your baby.

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jan-20 09:31:38

This is a man who abused your brothers (never mind a long time ago) and who tells you you are full of shit.

Do you really want him parenting your children when you are out at work?

He is not the right person to be looking after your children - that is the bottom line. No ifs, no buts.

What you decide to do about other contact with them is up to you - but under no circumstances must he be left in charge of your children - ever.

Your thread title is about trying to start reconciliation, and betrays a strong desire to attempt to create some sort of normal relationship with your parents. You cannot have this, sadly. As I have got older I have realised that there are times when you have to let go of your dreams and deal in the reality in front of you.

Reconciliation requires change and thought on both sides - do you really feel your father is capable of this? He is what he is; and will never be what you wished from him as a child and also now.

You are a Mum now - your job is to protect your family.

I am sorry that your child has severe autism - that is challenge enough in anyone's life. Only do what is possible and realistic and try to let go of false hopes and dreams.

To be blunt you are compromising your children's well-being in order to follow a dream of a good relationship with your parents - I know that sounds harsh, but your children must now come first; and that requires you to distance yourself from your parents, and certainly to keep them away from child care.

I wish you lots of good luck for the future.

Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 09:31:40

@NotSpaghetti I'm not sure where you got the impression that I am opposed to counselling. I'm not at all and have seen a counsellor before. At this very current time (1 week from having baby and at hospital 3x a week with constant tests) I really don't have the time available. I definitely do want to see a counsellor once things are a bit more settled.

Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 09:34:43

I feel like I need to add that my parents haven't spent time unsupervised with my children in years and I have no intention of changing that.

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jan-20 09:40:15

You will carry the burden for the whole of your life of trying to create a normal relationship with people who are far from normal. It will take up time and emotional energy that could better be spent having fun with your husband and children.

I think you have to let it go and keep them at arm's length. This involves letting go of the fantasy that you can conjure up a happy extended family - you cannot. It is what it is.

Madgran77 Wed 29-Jan-20 09:42:52

You are right to concentrate on your new baby at the moment. Hope all goes well. I truly hope you can move forward as a family recovering from such abuse. X

Yennifer Wed 29-Jan-20 09:46:03

I know your emphasis is on your Dad but the bits about your mum show that she is equally abusive. Abusive parents are abusive grandparents. I think you need to walk away now, they won't change. Any changes they do make will be short term. It's all there is your post. Don't let your children grow up watching your parents treat you so badly. Don't teach them it is OK for people who are meant to be loving to ignore and favouritise and push them away. Break the cycle and maybe get that therapy or counselling for you so you can understand just how awful this is. Imagine reading this post as if it was from a good friend or someone you really care about. It's heartbreaking x

Dottygran59 Wed 29-Jan-20 09:50:47

Luckygirl is spot on, Ironflower. We all have (I think) fantasies about how we would like our family to be, but sadly that's sometimes what they are, fantasies.

I had a troubled relationship with my parents, nothing like as bad as yours, and to a certain extent I just got on with my life and kept contact with them to a minimum.

I am so pleased that you have had and will continue to have counselling. It will be so benificial to you. Your children are lucky to have you and their dad, you are being the caring, protective, loving parents that you wanted your parents to be. By cutting them out of your life you are breaking the cycle of abuse, and that is entirely the right thing to do. Accept it, believe it, move on.

My heart goes out to you, it really does, and I know that you are listening to what we say, and it is said with concern and kindness in our hearts for you. We will always be here for you, helpful and non judgemental. I admire you, Ironflower, you are a strong capable woman and can so do this

Mapleleaf Wed 29-Jan-20 09:52:36

I think, Ironflower that you should avoid any further contact with your Parents from your description of their behaviour. From your description of your Father he is a child abuser and a violent bully, and your mother is complicit in his behaviour by not standing up against him. (Possibly she fears him, though from your description, her own behaviour is not to be admired). I think JuliaM raises very valid points, along with eazybee, and I imagine that Australia will have very similar child protection laws to the UK.
You must put your children first and remove yourself from their influence as soon as possible.

Bibbity Wed 29-Jan-20 09:57:04

You need to be the mother that you and your siblings never had.
You need to protect your children. He is horrendous. Your mother failed you.

Cut them off. Delete their numbers. Block them completely. You don’t owe them anything. No explanation. No justification. Just take this minute as the moment to end it all.

wildswan16 Wed 29-Jan-20 09:59:53

People very rarely change. Accept that. You will be amazed how much better you feel when you make the decision that they are no longer part of your life. A weight will be lifted off you.

It is sad, yes, but your children have loving parents and grandparents and will not miss the unnecessary drama and stress in their lives.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 29-Jan-20 10:13:49

I would cut contact in fact I would have done a long time ago, I’m very surprised you haven’t done before, it seems to me you have tried so many things, it’s now time to do this, I read you are scared of your father and quite rightly so, but you carried on with him having contact with your children, you sound a lovely lady and your husband sounds supportive but I can’t get my head round why you are still in this situation, please cut contact and live your own lives apart from this horrendous situation, you and your family must come first

Sofa Wed 29-Jan-20 10:19:28

After reading the whole of your post Ironflower, there is no question you should definitely go no contact. I feel sorry for your mum as she will lose out but she has chosen to stay with your father and put up with his behaviour. He will not change. You must not allow your children to have any contact with this dreadful man.

SueDonim Wed 29-Jan-20 13:12:34

I’ve read as much of your post as possible for me, Ironflower and my goodness, sad. I cannot see one single benefit for you or your family from maintaining contact with your parents. You don’t need the stress yourself especially with a new baby about to arrive.

I can understand your reluctance to stop contact with your mother, who is also a victim of your father, but it’s not your job to make your mother happy. She is the one responsible for her happiness, not you.

Your children have other, lovely, grandparents, so I think you should cut your losses and run. And get the locks changed on your doors!

Very best wishes for the new baby. smile

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:22:01

You cant change other people. You cant.

You can either accept their behaviour in your life or not

But you cannot change them.

HettyMaud Wed 29-Jan-20 13:32:01

Seriously, I'd move away physically. It's worth the upheaval to get away from this toxic father. I have learned in my long life that people don't change. You don't need or deserve any of it and you will end up severely stressed which is totally unfair.

MerylStreep Wed 29-Jan-20 14:07:38

Father or no Father if anyone had abused my child as yours did (toilet issue before the swim) he would be fed to the sharks.
I have no sympathy for you, you allowed a bully to hurt your son and carried on seeing/talking/socialising with them.

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:11:15

You might actually sabotage your relationship with your own children and partner, ILs and wider family if you keep bringing your children back to your father expecting things to somehow go differently next time.

Manmar2 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:28:48

Ironflower I read all your post and your father needs urgent help with all that anger. If it was me I wouldn’t go near him ever again, he sounds dangerous and out of control. Your children come first. Keep away from your abusive family. They are toxic.

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:30:49

You failed to protect your nephew from actual physical and emotional harm and you are putting your own children at risk of harm.

TBH I think if you cant grasp that it is your job to protect your children from someone like your father, your DH should go for full custody with supervised visits only for you.

You are complicit in the abuse of your nephew and are putting your own children in the firing line.

You dont believe in Drs or councellers so unlikely to work on breaking the abuse cycle.

Your children may never forgive you if you dont change

Daddima Wed 29-Jan-20 14:47:27

I’m sorry Ironflower but I really am confused by your post ( and not just because it’s so long)
Right at the beginning you say you are now no contact, except to talk to your mum on the phone, and that was when she phoned to tell you how bad you were because of an incident at a pool years ago?
Despite being just out of hospital, bleeding, and being told you would probably lose the baby, you were crying to your husband to do a 9 hour journey , and he agreed?
If you are already no contact, what is the problem? Are you terribly afraid of your father?
Sorry if I can’t understand what you want.

3nanny6 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:20:11

Ironflower your post was long but I got through it. I agree with all the other comments on here and I am still wondering why you are considering giving your abusive father the time of day. In fact everything your father has done it seems your mother has backed him up and neither of them have listened to one word from you about giving the old formula to the baby or anything else. You experienced domestic abuse in childhood and even if your father did not hit you he done it to your brothers and that is not acceptable no matter how long ago.

You also wrote a few lines and said that your poor mum does not understand that abuse does not always have to be physical and yet you have posted that your father had your son in the bathroom and was restraining him so he would use the toilet before he went to the pool. How much physical restraint was he using? I think you said your husband intervened that says it all he was being physically aggressive to your child.
Be brave for your children and do not let this bully of a man anywhere near them how must they feel when you say that you are terrified of him yourself, cut those ties today and never look back.

rosecarmel Wed 29-Jan-20 15:56:14

notanan, her husband is equally as complicit- Together, they are following her parents patterns- Even when engaged in efforts to step away, they find themselves retracing their old steps back into the fray-

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 16:19:21

I suppose thats true rosecaramel.

Watching a 2 year old being relentlesslt beaten for the crime of crying whilst being beaten and not acting is being part of the abuse IMO.

The OP isnt in the UK but if she was this would come under putting children at risk of future harm and would bring into question the mothers/parents suitability to have the children themselves, not just the grandparent!