Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Struggling Sundays

(63 Posts)
Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 22:48:18

I haven't been in contact with my mother for a long time, years even but Sundays were always the day I went to visit. I would come home very ill with stomach cramps, partly because I have food allergies she thought were nonsense and I didn't want to risk the anger if I didn't eat and partly stress of holding it together and not rising to her nastiness I think. Now all that is over, no more stomach issues but every Sunday night without fail I don't sleep until sometimes 4 or 5am. I don't know if anyone has any advice for me, how to break this pattern, I've spoken to the doctor and tried sleeping pills which didn't work. It makes for an awful start to the week. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and know what I might be missing here? x x

Starlady Sat 15-Feb-20 11:56:21

"All's well that ends well."

Hope you got a good rest afterwards, Yennifer!

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 15:36:02

Good advice, nap time x

Grammaretto Thu 13-Feb-20 15:06:23

Good result Yennifer. I think it's OK to nod off during the day for occasional catnaps too. There's no law saying all sleep must be in bed between the hours of 11pm and 7am, thankfully.

Hithere Thu 13-Feb-20 14:52:30

So glad it is done!

Now reward yourself, you deserve it

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 14:43:15

I'm home, it's done and it was for a good cause. Resting now x

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 06:04:25

Really bad, 3 hours, hammering rain. One step in front of the other and it will be over after a long day x

Starlady Thu 13-Feb-20 05:19:58

Was glad to hear about your positive experience, but then saw your latest post. I hope you were able to put the anxious thoughts aside by reading (again) or watching an engaging TV show or something like that. Best of luck in the stressful activity!

Hithere Wed 12-Feb-20 19:29:43

What can you do to relax you and take your mind off of it?

Yennifer Wed 12-Feb-20 18:49:24

I'm very worried about sleeping tonight, I have to do something really stressful tomorrow and I'm feeling very anxious and tearful about it. Just hope I get at least a few hours x

Yennifer Tue 11-Feb-20 13:36:39

I think it became more worry about sleep than anything so taking away the worry helped, thank you all x

Mapleleaf Tue 11-Feb-20 10:47:11

That's great, Yennifer. ?

Hithere Mon 10-Feb-20 13:51:02

Awesome! Next week will be even better

Yennifer Mon 10-Feb-20 10:14:54

I don't actually know how long I slept, the cat woke me up and the husband woke me up but I think overall it was a better night. I think I was gone before midnight which is mssive for me x

Hithere Sun 09-Feb-20 23:10:10

Great plan!

Yennifer Sun 09-Feb-20 21:45:45

OK ladies it's Sunday and I'm about to do my pre bedtime routine as normal. Going to be settling in for some reading. If I feel my eyes closing I will put the book down, if no sleep I will just go back to reading. I know I will make it through tomorrow no matter how much sleep I get so no stressing! Wishing you all nice dreams and a good sleep x

Yennifer Thu 06-Feb-20 14:08:06

I'm feeling a bit more positive about it. I don't really think about her that much thses dayswhich is very different to worrying about what was coming next all the time or thinking I deserved it x

Evie64 Wed 05-Feb-20 21:52:13

Yennifer, so sorry to hear how bad you are feeling. Perhaps your insomnia is based in deep seated subconscious guilt that you don't visit your mother anymore? Try to reconcile that and accept it for what it is. You know the old saying, "You can choose your friends, you can't choose your family". Continue counselling if it helped.

Grammaretto Wed 05-Feb-20 06:58:51

Luckily i can usually get to sleep but have had entirely sleepless nights and survived. I try to be accepting if sleep doesnt come.
I try yoga breathing, sleepytime tea, crossword puzzles, listening to the radio, reading and trying not to dwell on my worries and fears.
Plan a holiday and change of routine.

Starlady Wed 05-Feb-20 05:30:34

Yennifer, since others have indicated that Sunday insomnia is not unusual, I realize it may have nothing to do w/ your mum. However, do you tend to think about her on Sundays? If so, I would try to avoid that. As soon as thoughts of her creep in, change the subject in your mind. Play some cheerful music, watch a favorite DVD, go out and do some activity or "something lovely just for you,' as knickas suggests. Fall asleep watching a good show or whatever. Maybe keeping her out of your mind will help. IDK. Just a thought...

knickas63 Tue 04-Feb-20 17:27:07

Make yourself a new ritual for Sundays. Something lovely just for you. Suns in somnia is quite common - so it may not just be past issues causing it, but a new ritual may haelp to change your mindest for the evening?

Yennifer Tue 04-Feb-20 16:40:25

I found a white noise I liked but it was running water and I did need a wee twice in the night lol x

Smileless2012 Tue 04-Feb-20 16:19:17

Sparklingflowersenjoy the time you spend with others that you love and who love you in return.

Yennifer Tue 04-Feb-20 14:02:54

Julliybird, sorry for your loss, its still a loss grieving what you should have had. Sparkling, yes I do, I have amazing friends and my own lovely family. I'm glad you have that too x

Sparkling Tue 04-Feb-20 07:57:57

Jillybird? I understand why you cried, Yenifer it must be so hard, I just hope you have your own loving families. I tread on eggshells with my daughter, I can feel her boredom of me and know I am a disappointment. You can't fight indifference so I cope. Luckily for me I have other family and friends whom are loving, but I wish it could have been different as i love her so much.

Jillybird Tue 04-Feb-20 00:09:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.