Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How is everyone doing?

(80 Posts)
Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 12:41:27

We have been reduced to a skeleton staff so I only have 1 day at work a week. Feels very strange. Missing all the children at school. Went shopping this morning, was a very strange experience. Oldest son working huge long days as a key worker, delivering food to most of the village. I feel very odd, like I'm rushing around when I don't need to. How is everyone else getting on? Xx

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:22:10

I think you're right Madgran so wont tell you just how shiny the silver is when I've polisheditgrin.

I'm sure your flan will be delicious and Mr. M. will be suitably appreciative.

It's good that you can work from home Chewbacca. We're the same with long 'phone calls, emails and for me uplifting chats with friends made here on GN.

That must be very frustrating Annie at least we can occupy ourselves with house work. When this is all over, buying your electric wheelchair is something you can look forward too
flowers.

Missfoodlove Sat 28-Mar-20 10:32:21

See attached just a few of today’s flight arrivals at Heathrow.
It looks like business as usual

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 11:11:43

The more we isolate the quicker we cn beat this thing. Imagine how amazing it will feel when we can go explore again x

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:43:41

That's shocking Missfoodlove unless they're flights for those who live here and have been stranded abroad.

Missfoodlove Sat 28-Mar-20 13:19:13

Then there must be a lot of Brits in Seattle! All the big airports are busy!

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 13:40:14

Very odd, I think I read somewhere that flights can lose slots to other companies if they don't use them but surely no one wants them now anyway x

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:45:22

I was hoping there was a logical explanation Missfoodlove but it looks like I may be hoping in vainsad.

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 14:29:32

Looks like the good old British weather is still sticking to ruining weekends lol x

dizzyblonde Sat 28-Mar-20 16:13:26

My bil works in security at Gatwick and he tells me that most flights are either repatriation or freight. One terminal is closing next week and the vast majority of the people he has to check/search are staff who all have to go through security before they go airside just like Joe public.

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 16:31:24

I have just seen a picture of Sydney Airport full of travellers cheek by jowl presumably wanting to all get home, wherever home may be.

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 16:35:43

That's comforting dizzyblonde.

That's not so comforting Callistemon why aren't they at least trying to enforce the 2 meter rule?

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 17:04:16

They held elections too today Smileless!

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:06:57

Unbelievable and very worrying, it seems as if like Trump, the powers that be aren't taking this at all seriouslyangry.

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 17:13:05

The powers here managed to catch it by not following their own rules. Very silly x

Elizabeth1 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:24:54

Merlotgran sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down today I’m also feeling down but only because I had an up and down night last night and I’m feeling very tired. Having said that we went for a 5 minute drive in the car and had a wee snack of chocolate biscuits with a cup of tea from dh flask yuck. We stayed in the car looking out to sea it was a lovely view we’re very lucky to be near to the sea. I then did my walking exercises by walking into the house up the ramp followed by a long walk up the garden path I’m feeling so much more confident on my pins now. Here’s to continuing progress and a good nights sleep. smile cheers everybodyflowers

merlotgran Sat 28-Mar-20 17:48:58

I'm fine now, thanks, Elizabeth1 I think I was just tired and 'flattened' by all the news reports.

Friday seems to have been a 'down day' for a lot of people.

etheltbags1 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:55:59

I'm just accepting a more peaceful way of life now. I'm furloughs and have no work worries. I've never been house proud so I do a job such as change the bed, read a chapter of my book, put the washing in the machine, have a cuppa, another chapter of my book and so on. The bedroom has been done today but living room can wait till tomorrow yawn. No stress. I love it

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 17:59:05

Being home all the time and having all the children and AC at home too, my house is both cleaner and messier lol x

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 18:29:06

It's good idea to stretch a few house hold chores out during the day etheltbags as it helps fill the time.

We've become selective with the news reports merlotgran and I think you're right about Friday, the severity of what's happening really hit home.

Elizabeth1 Sat 28-Mar-20 18:51:19

I give myself time out from watching the news it’s the same old same old

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 19:21:43

Had anyone had any toilet paper success? I'm down to 3 rolls here x

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 19:23:19

Elizabeth I find Coronavirus 24/7 and all the different takes and opinions on it very annoying as you never know who is talking sense x

Davida1968 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:31:11

If DH & I were confined to barracks simply because of an illness which we (alone) might have contracted, then I wouldn't mind the "house arrest" & social distancing, at all. It's everything else going on with all the world and for other people, that I find to be difficult to take it and to be able to help. I am trying to take a "zen" approach and to focus on what we can do to help others, and to appreciate (which I do, daily) having all that we need, as well as having my lovely DH for company. Thank goodness for modern technology, which keeps us in close touch with family and friends.

BBbevan Sat 28-Mar-20 19:43:21

Very productive day. I got a delivery slot with Sainsbury’s hurrah , and transferred our Oct cruise to the Med to one next year. Didn’t fancy visiting Spain and Italy so soon. All very easy. Bit cold here today so we have had a nice quiet day by the fire. Hope everyone is well and content

Ironflower Sat 28-Mar-20 21:35:02

It really is surreal what's happening.

I was lucky and was induced 3 weeks early before visitors and even husbands were banned from hospital. Baby girl is now 6 weeks old and doing very well. Unfortunately she's due for needles and I'm due for more blood tests. Not sure if my doctor is going to postpone.

The boys are home and going stir crazy. Mr 3 became Mr 4, but no birthday party sad tried to make it as fun as we could.

My days are hectic, trying homeschooling, newborn, cleaning, cooking, online shopping etc lol