Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Hope For Estranged Grandparents

(928 Posts)
agnurse Tue 16-Jun-20 18:22:43

Actually there are a lot of things to lose. Some considerations:

1. Going to court is expensive for both sides. That's money your GC's parents won't have for other things. Depending on their income, that could be food coming out of the children's mouths.

2. There's significant stress involved. What impact will that have on your GC?

3. How will spending time with you on a schedule impact their life? Are there sports tournaments, camps, summer jobs, etc. they won't be able to do as they have to see you? What about holidays?

4. If you're unsuccessful in court, you have likely destroyed any future opportunity to get to see the children. Can you live with that?

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Jun-20 17:55:25

Thank you for your post worthitall and for sharing your wonderful news.

Even if we'd wanted to go to court, it would have been impossible as we were never able to establish a relationship with our GC. The eldest was just 8 months old the last time we saw him and we've never seen the youngest.

It's good to know that there are cases where the interests of the children in continuing their relationship with their GP's results in GP's maintaining contact.

worthitall Tue 16-Jun-20 16:30:44

I’ve read some posts where people feel it is not worth the fight to see their grandchildren and others which suggest grandparents don’t have such rights - which is correct.

The fact in such matters though is that the rights belong to the children, including rights to see their grandparents unless there is a very good reason why not - and that Is where most arguments lay and a compelling and realistic case has to be made to support 'why not'?

How am I so sure? The Family Court has given me permission to see my grandchildren on a regular basis. Cafcass had no objections to, nor hesitation in recommending, access and the court was able to see that the cutting off of contact was not about the children but about the parent.

The court has enabled me to restart the lovely relationship I always had with my grandchildren.

Do not be afraid to go to court if it is the only way you can speak to your grandchildren. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck