Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How to advise over a moral dilemma

(43 Posts)
OpenUniversity2017 Mon 10-Aug-20 18:44:30

A distressed friend has come to me for advice.

Jayne’s elderly mother recently died in a care home due to COVID. As if that wasn’t bad enough she recently made the shock discovery that her only sibling - a brother who had power of attorney over their mother’s estate and assets - had made a false declaration to the local authority. As a result of his action the care home fees where met entirely by the local authority for the last year or so of their mother’s life.

When Jayne’s brother revealed this to his sister he asked her that if the local authority were to catch up with his deception, would she be prepared to pay back a proportion of her share to the local authority.

Confused and shocked, Jayne could not give him the assurance he sought so instead asked to see the will,

Two weeks later she received an electronic will from her brother as he was also the only executor ( a solicitor had only been used to help with probate). Jayne was upset to realise that she was not a beneficiary as her brother had led her to expect. Instead, her late mother had left a 1/10 share to be equally split between Jayne’s three adult children and the other 9/10 share to the brother.

Her children have now received money from the estate and they are none the wiser of their uncles fraud .

Jayne came to me anxious and distressed . She’s prepared to compensate her children if they should lose their inheritance. However, the fact still stands She’s been disinherited and found out her brother is a fraud .

She’s tried to get the brother to own up and pay the money back but he refuses to, saying that he feels entitled to his £95,000share, despite the fact that he and his wife are reasonably wealthy already .

Should Jayne inform the local authority of her brothers fraud or just bury it?
Your thoughts please.

Illte Tue 11-Aug-20 10:11:11

I suggest the Op is researching Lawrence Kohlbergs stages of moral development.

It is quite interesting if anybody wants to look it up.

I taught in this area. Although the Op has changed details I recognise the construct.

?

Witzend Tue 11-Aug-20 10:17:33

Did the mother have dementia?
Even if she didn’t, in such a case I’d strongly suspect that he wrote a new will for her, and it was then a case of, ‘Sign here!’

What you can do about it now I don’t know, such things being virtually impossible to prove.

As for defrauding the local council over the care home fees, with very good they take such things extremely seriously and for my part I think I’d be inclined to report it.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:20:31

ilte that would be far too interesting to read, buT thank you, I’m on a thread talking about cold tea, much more fun than helping someone to do research.

hazel93 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:45:21

Excuse me ! Your friend did not know "Power of Attorney" had been granted to her brother only, without her knowledge or consent!! Highly unlikely.
Having dealt with this process twice now, I know any decent solicitor goes above and beyond to ensure the info. given is totally accurate.
Nothing to do with morals - that's the law.

EllanVannin Tue 11-Aug-20 10:51:55

Much always did want more--it's a known fact.
I'd dob the man in once you have the facts to back up the fraud. HMRC would be interested too.

Smileless2012 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:06:37

The OP's friend wouldn't necessarily know that her brother had power of attorney hazel. A third party would have been approached by the solicitor to sign that they were happy with the brother being given this role.

Another relative would have been preferable but I don't think it would have had to have been the sister.

Illte Tue 11-Aug-20 11:19:30

There is a legal requirement to contact all those who may have an interest (in the legal sense).

When I set mine up my sister was informed, even though my three children were overseeing the process.

OpenUniversity2017 Wed 12-Aug-20 11:49:23

I11te this is not an abstract problem/ hypothetical problem / I’m not conducting research .
I can only repeat what I’ve said before. This is a true and current problem which is causing Jayne a lot of distress.
She knew that her brother had power of attorney over their mother’s affairs during their mother’s lifetime .
What Jayne did not know was at the time of her mother’s death in May was that she ( Jayne) had actually been disinherited and was not a beneficiary of her mother’s will
b) that her brother had lied to the local council about their mother’s assets.

These two facts have only come to light after probate was granted in the last week or so.

Alexa Wed 12-Aug-20 12:10:44

Jayne has the moral right to threaten her brother with disclosure despite this being blackmail. Circumstances do alter cases.
Jayne needs legal confirmation she'd not be breaking the law if she did so.

Alexa Wed 12-Aug-20 12:12:38

PS if you yourself spill the beans thta would spoil Jayne's leverage.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:59:48

I honestly don’t see a problem, her brother has defrauded the local Authority, in effect he has defrauded all of us, so she should tell the authorities.
They will claim the money back from the Estate, as Jayne isn’t a beneficiary anyway it won’t affect her.
Unless of course Jayne wants money in exchange for her silence?

As I said before you OU2017 now have a moral and a legal duty to report it .
So when are you going to do it?

bettydl Wed 12-Aug-20 15:55:41

Of course she should report it. She should approach the local authority and I would personally also see a lawyer since she has now involved her daughters.

H1954 Wed 12-Aug-20 16:01:43

If the OP doesn't report the brother surely that would make her complicit in the original fraud crime?

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 16:29:08

If the OP doesn't report the brother surely that would make her complicit in the original fraud crime

My thoughts exactly. Jane could end up being asked to pay the shortfall by the local authorities even though she didn't benefit from the fraud. Especially if it can be proven that she was aware that the fraud took place and did nothing about it.

Smileless2012 Wed 12-Aug-20 16:30:52

A good point H1954 and Chewbacca.

PetitFromage Thu 13-Aug-20 07:56:41

When was the will made and was the mother of sound mind? What was the nature of the fraud? Did the brother lie about the assets? Didn't 'Jayne' have any contact with her mother pre Covid; were they estranged? Why did the brother have the LPA? What do you mean by an 'electronic will'? Do you mean that it was emailed?

OpenUniversity2017 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:08:11

Thanks Scribbles, that’s the way to go.