Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Recognise how far you have come.

(86 Posts)
Starblaze Mon 14-Sep-20 10:01:42

Let's just forget any version of "get over it". Try this instead:

When we have been in a state of overcoming for much of our lives, it can be difficult to surrender to the fact that there is no longer anything to overcome. Wilfull overcoming and goal-centeredness become an entrenched way of being- one that is associated with our very survival- and it can be difficult to slow down and realize that we made it out. That we are no longer at risk. That we created a healthier, safer reality. This is as true for people who overcame poverty as it is those who made it out of unsafe home environments. Many of us- and I am one of them- have great difficulty recognizing and integrating the fact that we are no longer back there. Our minds know we got out, but our animal bodies are still carrying the same anxieties that fueled our overcoming. In my own experience, the key to the shift in awareness is developing our capacity for surrender to our bodies. Only when we can drop down below our wilfull warrior, only when we can slow down and truly FEEL the change, will we be able to integrate the fact that we are no longer back there. For us to know the war is over, we have to allow ourselves to breathe deeply into the beautiful world that we have constructed with our own efforts. We have to raise the white flag in our hearts. This is no easy feat- surrendering brings up the old anxieties, at first- but if we stay with it, it will become a natural way of being. And the wars of overcoming, slowly become a thing of the past…

~Jeff Brown

Blossoming Wed 24-Mar-21 14:40:34

Reported

hupcfl Wed 24-Mar-21 14:22:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

rosecarmel Thu 12-Nov-20 00:19:19

One Life by Megan Rapinoe

Great read, still reading, but super inspiring from word one- She embodies and balances confidence and humility- And .. She .. Speaks .. Out, which is my favorite thing about her because as she does encourages others to do the same- I love her!

Starblaze Wed 14-Oct-20 10:57:02

rosecarmel Mon 12-Oct-20 21:39:26

mobile.twitter.com/ewarren/status/1315392147538018306

?

Madgran77 Sun 11-Oct-20 19:37:31

Niamh I second others in suggesting that you look at the "Support for all living with the pain of estrangement" thread

Happy Birthday cupcake

Iam64 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:25:31

Happy Birthday Niamh
Hope you find some friends on the Support for all living with the pain of estrangement thread

Chewbacca Sun 11-Oct-20 16:46:27

Niamh first of all I'd like to wish you a very Happy birthday flowers. Secondly, there is a forum especially for people who are in the very same situation as you are and they'd be very welocong to you. Have a look at SUPPORT for all living with the pain of estrangement. They're a friendly crowd and would welcome you.

Kate1949 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:44:10

How very sad Niamh. flowers

Smileless2012 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:39:55

Welcome Niamh and best wishes for your 80th birthdayflowers; it must be a difficult day for you to say the least; I am sorry.

Birthdays, especially the milestone ones should be celebrated with families.

As you've read posts here on GN you'll know there are estranged parents here so please talk to us. We'll give you the support and help that we can.

You're not alone.

Niamh5 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:19:00

First message - although I read yours regularly. 80 today - only one card from old friends in South Africa. Estranged from children and not seen grand children since 2012. Sons wife from Ukraine jealous, manipulative, determined from beginning to separate me from children I brought up alone.
Why when I treated her like a daughter. so cruel for loving grand children - how they must be hurting, and wondering why their only grand parent disappeared out of their lives. So lonely but trying to hang on.

Smileless2012 Sun 11-Oct-20 09:24:13

Thank you rosecarmel.

rosecarmel Sun 11-Oct-20 03:29:01

"There are so many ways that cruel people who want to hurt you, yet still appear as "good""

Thanks for mentioning that dynamic, Starblaze- ?

Here's a few examples:

You tell "that person" that you helped a family member out monetarily to cover the cost of a "crisis" and they double what you gave-

"That person" tells you about the impromptu wedding shower after the fact-

You tell "that person" that you plan to visit someone for their birthday to spend some quality time with them and "that person" turns around and throws a party for the birthday person-

Sound familiar?

3 things people want from you:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3V1RRoc_A

They don't even need to be a narc, just mean-

rosecarmel Sun 11-Oct-20 03:08:47

Sorry to hear about your mother, Smileless- ?

Kate1949 Sat 10-Oct-20 17:42:07

Oh goodness. I've never thought if it like that. You have made me tearful. Thank you smile

Smileless2012 Sat 10-Oct-20 17:37:23

I'll second that Chewbaccasmile.

Chewbacca Sat 10-Oct-20 17:33:48

However, I don't quite trust life. I am always on edge. Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense Kate1949, but you have much to be proud of yourself for. Look how far you've come from such dreadful beginnings and how much you've achieved despite every obstacle that was put in your way. You've done an amazing job Kate1949 and should be smiling with pride! flowers

Kate1949 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:16:50

That's very true Smileless

Smileless2012 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:14:25

Thank you Kate. It's good to see you againsmileand yes, as you say we are all survivors.

It's so hard to "trust life" and not always feel on edge when you've been through such heartbreaking and inexplicable situations.

We're so lucky to have our H's, family and friends. It must be so much harder to face if you live alone which some do.

Kate1949 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:59:32

Thank you Starblaze . Yes I have. There's a lot more but I won't have a misery fest. We are all true survivors here I think. I have a lovely husband and family. However, I don't quite trust life. I am always on edge. Does that make sense?
Smileless I have read some of you posts in the past. Your story of estrangement is very sad.

Smileless2012 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:54:41

oops that should have been 'a couple of weeks ago'

Smileless2012 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:51:06

I can identify with that too.

I realised how much healthier I am emotionally when Mr. S. said there was an email from our ES a couple of weeks, just 2 days after my mother had died.

No feeling sick, afraid or that I couldn't breath and being able to respond when there was a time I'd have ignored him and not appreciated just how hard it was for him to send that email.

Starblaze Sat 10-Oct-20 13:47:42

Kate you have had some truly awful experiences in life and you are a true Survivor. Never forget that

Starblaze Sat 10-Oct-20 13:42:25

Today I was thinking about how far I have come in spotting behaviour that is not overtly/obviously cruel but cruel nonetheless.

There are always going to be people in this world who look for the worst possible meaning in what you say or assume it.

There are those people who try to keep you off balance by deliberately saying things that can have a double meaning so they can claim innocence if you get upset. That may seem related to point one but, the signs and context are different.

There are people who try to compare you unfavourably with others or highlight your perceived faults by complimenting those they find "acceptable".

There are so many ways that cruel people who want to hurt you, yet still appear as "good" operate and learning to spot them is such n essential tool.

Learning to rely on our instincts.

Today I realise that actually that just doesn't bother me anymore. I am who I am and despite an abusive relationship where I was told who I am and letting that influence how I felt about myself for a long time.... People have no hold or influence over me in that way any more and those techniques are something I can find humour in.

This stops me being reactive and confrontational which is what that sort of person needs to "win" in their minds.

Despite everything that is going on in the world right now, I'm emotionally healthier than I have ever been and I'm finally feeling in a place where I can give myself credit for it.

Kate1949 Thu 08-Oct-20 14:32:04

Thank you Iam . Gosh I feel like such a moaner. How understanding you all are.