Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Potential estrangement... DIL side

(107 Posts)
Abi30 Mon 03-May-21 07:23:27

I’ll start by saying that I am the DIL in this situation. We have had a growing poor relations with my husband’s parents. They themselves estranged one set of their own parents due to bad behaviour. It feels as though the cycle is repeating. We are not estranged, but it is heading that way / quite low contact. I had two loving grandparents from both sides of my family as a child and I am heartbroken over how things will potentially be for my kids. I thought I would post on this forum for advice.

I’ve been with my husband 10 years and we’ve shared some lovely weekend breaks and visits with his parents. Everything changed when I fell pregnant 3 years ago.

They live 4hr drive away, so when we see them it is usually for a full day or a weekend of hosting. Whilst I was heavily pregnant with my first, my FIL started passing some mean comments, referring to me as ‘fatty’. I think the worst was when I was talking to my husband about a pregnancy craving and my FIL said that he could go and grab some food for me, but only for the unborn baby, because “they don’t actually care about me, I’m just an incubator for grandchild”. I was in tears when they left, those words really effected me and triggered a lot of anxiety in the times that we saw them thereafter.

Once my first was born they were excited (as you would be) about being grandparents and we welcomed visits from everybody. They were quite pushy for my MIL to come and stay with me for a week, my husband never got back to them about organising it... and it was a relief at that point as I felt uncomfortable with the idea without my husband being around too - it was also the time when my postnatal anxiety and depression had started and it wasn’t the support I needed at the time. I didn’t feel like I could approach them.. other than that situation, we’ve never ever stopped them from seeing the kids, always kept them informed of health visitor updates etc and we have always hosted visits when they’ve asked to come. They currently get picture updates of our kids regularly which I upload, my family are also a part of the same updates. The only boundary I have ever laid down was for my husband to not leave me alone with them because of a long string of rude comments and cold vibes. They are unaware of this boundary.

When my first was 7/8 months old, we went to stay with them for the first time and FIL rude nature was peaking through even more - receiving the cold shoulder, he seemed to get increasingly annoyed as the visit went on, I vividly remember him huffing and puffing because I asked if we could sit down somewhere to breastfeed the baby. It was time for us to return home that Evening and he got very huffy about dinner plans also, as it was around the time we were also leaving (easier for us to make big journeys in the night when baby sleeping) - that was when the cold and unfriendly vibes started to properly reveal itself..... we then had our first family Christmas as a family with them. It seemed they all had some kind of indifference towards me at that point. I remember my FIL flipping me off behind my back and the silent amused look my MIL exchanged with my FIL over it... I absolutely love Christmas and it was the worst Christmas I’ve ever had. I felt so uncomfortable in my own home. I was incredibly hurt about how our first family Christmas went. I am not sure how I could ever repeat another Christmas with them. Being around them adds on to trauma and anxiety now.

After that Christmas I took a step back, I needed it for me, emotionally. Leaving my husband to do the bulk of messages or calls. A number of other situations and the cold vibe continued and got worse for all of last year (2020) whilst I was pregnant with my second. I remember my MIL calling me directly for the first time in my pregnancy, around 2 weeks before I gave birth. One thing stands out from what she said - ‘let us know/Keep them informed’... those words had a lot of meaning. I felt she was trying to absolve themselves from not reaching out during my pregnancy to find out how things were going and at the same time trying to place the blame on my shoulders for not ‘’keeping them informed’. In my mind I thought it was also ironic that they only contacted me for info right before I gave birth, be of course - that’s all I’m good for - incubating grandchildren.... I knew at that point that I needed to drop my expectations of them caring in a genuine way, I had also had a rough year - rough pregnancy, pulmonary embolism scare, high blood pressure, perinatal anxiety and depression. We now have two very young children, I’m up to my head with juggling just day to day Mumming - and being the best Mum that I can be for my children. Any interaction with my in laws has caused an immense amount of anxiety and the tension in the air is affecting us all. In particularly now, I think my eldest can sense it. I don’t know what is best for them.

I know that it’s my husband who needs to resolve the tension, but he has never talked to them. He won’t admit that he feels vulnerable doing so.... even when he himself has been upset by things directed towards him. I can recall him getting an aggressive message in the middle of the night - that he wasn’t making enough effort with them... I had been sharing photo updates regularly (of which I still do), he also calls his Mum every week (and he still does)...I think it took my MIL about 4/5 months to even acknowledge the pictures by sending a message, I took that as what we were doing just wasn’t enough for them. I think it is very clear that no matter what I do or say, nothing would please and it’s not good enough for them...

We know they have issues, the way they have been shows that it’s directed towards me. There is so much murky rude water under the bridge and cold vibes - I don’t know how I can move forward with them... because they no longer view me or treat me as ‘family’ nothing I would ever say would resolve it abs my husband is basically too scared to talk to them. They aren’t going to change their newfound outlook of me and that will forever effect us as a family.

Smileless2012 Wed 05-May-21 13:44:18

I agree DiscoDancer. I just don't like to see a poster looking for advice and support to be encouraged to view her H negatively, especially when she does have an understanding of his predicament and/or encouraged to take control of their children and use them as weapons and/or a form of punishment.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 05-May-21 15:54:41

Yes, I suppose it’s all down to what we experience. I had the same predicament, with a husband too ‘ scared’ to confront his mum. I gave him 25 years! I never viewed him ‘ negatively’. I chose him after all, but it was affecting all of us, certainly our children. I could see how it affected him, and supported him the best I could, but in the end, it was making us all anxious, and it wasn’t fair on the children. We tried to talk many times to his parents.
I understand you’re coming from a different place, have read some of your posts. You’ve never had that chance to talk. Very different from the OP. Something has to give.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 05-May-21 16:31:57

As an afterthought....years ago, I was talking to my cousin, who had a similar problem with her MIL. She is ten years older than me, so I could also look ahead to see how it may pan out. My mother also struggled with her MIL. Every Sunday, my dad would take me and my sister to my nans house, while mum cooked the Sunday roast. I thought we went to get out of mum’s way, but years later, learnt, from my cousin, that my mum and MIL couldn’t stand each other, but she was happy to let us kids go. I remember, as I got older, my Nan and Auntie bad mouthing my mum.
The upshot of this was...my cousin said, “whatever you do, don’t let your MIL see the children, she’ll never need to be right with you. She’ll have her son and grandchildren....they are all she needs” wise words, which I took on board. For 25 years we went back and forth, seeing them....not seeing them, until eventually, my husband had had enough, and my two oldest children didn’t want to see them. Years on from that, my two younger children started to say there were things they remembered, but couldn’t articulate it at the time.
It’s not worth it OP. Hopefully, your husband may be able to change things, but somehow I think not. Take care and look after yourselves.

Madgran77 Wed 05-May-21 19:15:13

I do agree with you Smileless, and appreciate where you are coming from...but you can’t keep making allowances for adults, over the welfare of the children. I agree...her husband is vulnerable, but so are her children. He is the adult, and it has to start with him. Children need protection

Which brings me back to what I said upthread.....

Yes children do need protection and the parents have to decide together the way forward.

Smileless2012 Wed 05-May-21 19:47:33

Exactly Madgran "the parents have to decide together the way forward" whatever that way may be.

agnurse Wed 05-May-21 20:25:40

Smiles

Here's the thing. From the sounds of it, what FIL and MIL WANT is a relationship with DH and the kids, without a pesky DIL in the way. "We don't care about YOU. Just give us those babies." Allowing them that relationship gives them exactly what they want - and teaches them that their poor behaviour is rewarded.

You don't reward that kind of behaviour.

Madgran77 Wed 05-May-21 20:28:45

Allowing them that relationship gives them exactly what they want - and teaches them that their poor behaviour is rewarded.

Fine but the decision is for BOTH parents

Bibbity Wed 05-May-21 21:34:53

Any man that would continue to have a relationship with people like this and expose his children to that upsets his wife isn’t ready to be a husband or father.

If he continued with that I would start to focus on your worth.

Abi30 Wed 05-May-21 21:48:43

I have no idea how to tag users on this site, but I have read all of the responses. I will try to address some points made here...

- my own Mum suggested that I have a quiet word with my MIL too. However, I don’t feel that I can approach her. Whilst my FIL can be verbally mean, my MIL has lost any kind of warmth towards me.
- I have talked to my husband so many times about talking to them, but he won’t. There is definitely some underlying issues in the relationship between them - I don’t think he wants to be aware of them or really think about it too deeply, because it’s naturally upsetting. He would rather carry on and ignore the elephant in the room.
- whilst I can see where many of you are coming from with the kids, estrangement is really a last resort.
- the fact that one of you found the fatty and incubator comments unbelievable, tells me just how terrible those unnecessary comments really were!!

I have been giving my in laws the benefit of the doubt for so long that I am probably seen as a door mat. The idea that my kids will hear them say mean things about me in the future won’t sit with me, so there will likely be a turning point when that happens. Making a decision like that will also put my husband on the spot to act on the breakdown of the relationship with them... so it might go some way in clearing things up to... or it could lead to irreversible loss because of there lack of having an open mind to listen to the damage that has been caused. As I said in my post, I’m not sure how to move forward with them because their unnecessary comments / coldness is unforgivable, not least due to the anxiety and strain they’ve put on our shoulders.

At the end of the day, I only want the best for my kids.... and it’s only because of the kids that I still see them.

Hithere Wed 05-May-21 23:24:58

How do your kids benefit from seen 2 people who are openly hostile to their mother, and their father does not do anything to correct it?

If your ILs are so nasty to you, they will do the same to the kids

Hithere Wed 05-May-21 23:26:14

From seeing sorry

Hithere Wed 05-May-21 23:29:55

If you have daughters, do they want to be called fatty by their grandfather?

The same applies to boys

That is how many eating disorders start

It is your ILs destroying the relationship they could have with your family - they are certainly doing a great job at that!

welbeck Wed 05-May-21 23:40:23

what benefit are your DC getting from being in touch with these people.
they are not a good example for children.
forget about them.
you don't owe them anything.
live your own life and have some peace and enjoy it.
all the best.

Nicegranny Thu 06-May-21 00:21:16

What foolish people they are being so mean towards you. Exactly what power do they think they have over this situation?
I wonder what makes people behave like this?
They stand to loose all of you, grandchildren their son and you.
Any normal intelligent person would be happy that their grown up children found love , marriage and had children.
When you see your children happy with husband’s and wives isn’t it normal as a mil & fil to love them too?
I feel very sorry for your husband as l doubt they were such nice parents to him and he’s still trying to be the dutiful son.
There’s no way that I wouldn’t visit them and I wouldn’t want my children going either in fact l would call the fil and tell him why.
I would feel very strongly about my children being around people that had treated me with such disrespect it’s the wrong message for them.
Shame on them for being so mean to you they are nothing but bullies.

Nicegranny Thu 06-May-21 00:22:53

Meant to say, no way would l visit them.

CafeAuLait Thu 06-May-21 01:27:42

Your husband sounds a lot like mine. Eventually I decided that if I was nothing, I'd do nothing. Being too afraid to deal with his parents meant he avoided them. So they drifted apart. Now I look back and am annoyed with myself for allowing myself to be treated as I was for so long. My ILs weren't overtly mean like yours either. It was subtle but obvious. Although some witnesses to some events would say it wasn't so subtle really. I wouldn't want my children around people who think it is okay to treat others the way your ILs treat you. What can they learn from that?

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 06-May-21 09:50:14

Abi30

I have no idea how to tag users on this site, but I have read all of the responses. I will try to address some points made here...

- my own Mum suggested that I have a quiet word with my MIL too. However, I don’t feel that I can approach her. Whilst my FIL can be verbally mean, my MIL has lost any kind of warmth towards me.
- I have talked to my husband so many times about talking to them, but he won’t. There is definitely some underlying issues in the relationship between them - I don’t think he wants to be aware of them or really think about it too deeply, because it’s naturally upsetting. He would rather carry on and ignore the elephant in the room.
- whilst I can see where many of you are coming from with the kids, estrangement is really a last resort.
- the fact that one of you found the fatty and incubator comments unbelievable, tells me just how terrible those unnecessary comments really were!!

I have been giving my in laws the benefit of the doubt for so long that I am probably seen as a door mat. The idea that my kids will hear them say mean things about me in the future won’t sit with me, so there will likely be a turning point when that happens. Making a decision like that will also put my husband on the spot to act on the breakdown of the relationship with them... so it might go some way in clearing things up to... or it could lead to irreversible loss because of there lack of having an open mind to listen to the damage that has been caused. As I said in my post, I’m not sure how to move forward with them because their unnecessary comments / coldness is unforgivable, not least due to the anxiety and strain they’ve put on our shoulders.

At the end of the day, I only want the best for my kids.... and it’s only because of the kids that I still see them.

That’s right Abi. As I said, it took 25 years with us. We DID try, but it just didn’t work. The point is...you are struggling, so that is going to pass to your children. No doubt about it. As Agnurse says, you are rewarding their behaviour. Your husband is NOT going to do it. In a perfect world...you would be able to decide everything together and move forward. It’s not a perfect world, and you’ve gone past your sell by date. You can’t just sit back and let them treat you this way in front of your children. It’s not fair. You’re being too nice Abi.
Please don’t let this continue. It won’t end well.?

Toadinthehole Thu 06-May-21 10:59:57

I agree with most of the comments Abi, so won’t repeat. I had years of problems too. You say you want the best for your kids. I’m afraid I also think that means not seeing your in laws as opposed to seeing them.

Only you can decide though, and you have to be comfortable with what you choose.

Smileless2012 Thu 06-May-21 14:09:49

You cannot possibly know that the OP's parents in law will be nasty to their GC Hithere that's an irresponsible thing to say.

I do think you need to take a step back Abi, leave the job of sending photo's and updates to your H and make sure that if he's taking the children to see his parents, he's always within ear shot.

He may not be able to challenge them directly if they speak to the children out of turn, but you may then make a joint decision for them not to see the children at all.

It's good that you regard estrangement as a last resort which IMO is as it should be. I didn't see my p's.i.l. for several years because of my m.i.l.'s treatment of me but our boys continued to see them with Mr. S.

We, me in particular, were worried that their GM would make inappropriate remarks but thankfully she never did and we now have a relationship I'd never have thought possible.

I sincerely hope that the situation improves because estrangement is very hard for all concerned, but if your H does decide that he can no longer have a relationship with his parents, it has to be his decision.

As far as you're concerned, Toadinthhole is absolutely right,
"Only you can decide though, and you have to be comfortable with what choose" and the same applies to your Hflowers.

Abi30 Thu 06-May-21 18:47:24

Thank you, I am not sure how this situation is going to pan out. But I will keep referring back to this thread to remind myself of all the advice which I am thankful for. I need to be a bit more confident in my own self-worth - as you can imagine with postpartum anxiety and depression, it’s never been so low. Perhaps then I can be more confident in making a decision that’s right for me and or our family if it ever came to that.

I am also debating on wether or not to show my husband this thread. Everything I’ve written we’ve discussed over the years. So nothing new. It would just be good to know what his thoughts are, as he doesn’t voice them when it comes to his parents. Perhaps it would give us the dialogue he needs to open up on the subject...

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 06-May-21 18:50:30

Sounds good Abi. It may be good for him to see other opinions. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best for your future.

Madgran77 Thu 06-May-21 20:15:41

The risk of showing him the thread is that the tone of some posts about him are unpleasant and this could have the effect of making him unable to "hear" the bigger messages. That might not be very helpful for you. Only you can decide. flowers

Lolo81 Thu 06-May-21 22:11:03

You’ve had loads of great advice, in your shoes I’d definitely be taking a massive step back and let DH be the organiser/social calendar manager with the IL’s.

Someone once put this to me when I was struggling with my IL’s and it gave me a bit of clarity. If these people, who come to your home, insult and make you uncomfortable were not related to you - would you ever see them again? Would you tolerate being spoken to like this by a work colleague? If the answer to both these questions is absolutely not (as it was for me) it may be time to weigh up whether it’s worth continuing to put yourself through this.

If an adult male cannot behave appropriately with his words to another adult and sees no issue in name calling/ insulting, then he has shown his true colours. Do you want this normalised for your own DC, for them to be around the emotional abuse your DH is now struggling to challenge? Again, if this wasn’t coming from a “family” member, I doubt he’d ever be around your DC again, so where’s the difference?

Ultimately it’s you and DH who need to come up with a plan - maybe ask him how he feels when his dad talks like that? And if he wants his own children to be afraid of speaking up the way he is?

I wish you all the best in negotiating this - it’s so hard, I let it go on for far too long and it became a horrible and toxic presence in my life, so I’d advocate for dealing with the situation sooner rather than later (based on how it effected me over the years).

Abi30 Sun 09-May-21 22:32:59

Just thought I’d type a small update. I had a long talk with my husband. I found it difficult to articulate certain things and ended up showing him this post. You were right, he did initially focus on the negative parts associated against him, but he did not deny the ‘bigger’ messages. It’s a rollercoaster of a journey for him too. It’s his parents and he loves them. He doesn’t feel that approaching them would do us any good because even if they did have an open mind, any instant change wouldn’t be perceived as genuine. He also doesn’t know how to approach them, speaking to him a bit more on it and he’s scared. He’s ultimately scared of loosing that relationship with them. Everything he’s feeling is completely normal. I also feel awful. This whole thing is hovering over us like a black cloud. I worry that his fear will mean that he won’t be able to articulate a strong front with them and how they will knock him down. He also believes that although his parents haven’t been great towards me, since I took a step back, I am also not helping matters with them wanting to make any effort with me now. There is no winning or pleasing.... we have left it to one side for the moment, where he is going to think about what to say sensitively to them (if he ever does). What would be the best way to word it for him? I am still not sure how we will come through this, but I’m hoping for a happy ending...

Bibbity Sun 09-May-21 22:44:27

I’m sorry is he not happy that your not making any effort?!

That would be the moment I stop giving a damn about him being sad and tell him to piss off.