Gransnet forums

Estrangement

1st my son and now my grand as well

(44 Posts)
WithoutH3r Tue 21-Dec-21 07:33:46

I’ve been estranged from my son (now 42) for nearly all of his adult life, that is something I came to terms with a long time ago. But now this? The granddaughter whom I loved (far too much), cared for and tried to keep safe from her abusive & neglectful parents for the first 16,17 (18?) years of her life (she’s now 21) wants nothing to do with me. She began her quest to hate me about a year and a half or two years ago. She’s since honed it to near perfection. Even though I’ve been the only one who has cared for and about her, the only person who has never given up on her, the only person whom she knows has always loved her but now she is determined find reasons to hate me. I wish I could just say “fine, screw it! You don’t want anything to do with me then I’ll not waste my time, futile efforts and endless tears trying to hold on to something that is gone and someone whom I no longer know.” But honestly? I’m not sure if I can make it through another christmas without this beloved, but broken child. Everything causes me pain and I can’t foresee ever being okay again. I worry about her constantly, is she hungry, warm, safe? Is she lonely, sad? Everywhere I go I look for her., “everywhere”. I hate leaving my house. I’m afraid to leave her all alone in this world because what if someday she needs me or misses me? But I’m so tired and I just want it all to stop. No more hurting, or worrying. No more missing a child whom I believe once loved me but who now only hates my interference in her life. Sorry. I’m overflowing with words and the need to just let go and fall head first, pedal to the floor, into the abyss. No need to respond. No one can help. I just needed to tell someone, wherever that person may be, that …, that maybe I just can’t. Can’t do another christmas here, alone. Unwanted. Unloved. ~WithoutH3r~

BlueBelle Tue 21-Dec-21 17:41:46

There is so much pain in this original post and I truly feel so for you without do you know what set her on this path eighteen months ago ?
Do you have any contact with her or know where she is living maybe a Christmas card with a loving but not needy or accusing message and then leave it
As others have said you sound very depressed and in need of medical? Or counselling intervention please look after yourself there may well be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Dec-21 18:14:40

It's saddening that in the face of such obvious distress some posters say things which are adjudged worthy of deletion. Thanks to those who made the reports. I know and will never forget what it is like to feel there is no way to carry on living. Clearly some cannot envisage that. I'm glad they haven't experienced it. I can't describe how it feels to truly believe you would be better off dead. With medication you can regain a proper perspective and live again, as I do.

Madgran77 Tue 21-Dec-21 18:18:40

MerylStreep

Onstrike
I have reported your post. That’s a disgraceful thing to say to someone who is clearly in distress.

Well I agree which is why I don't understand why my same comment gas been deleted!!!

Madgran77 Tue 21-Dec-21 18:21:23

mokryna

Sorry * Madgran77* it is for the onstrike.

Oh right, I didn't see the comment but now understand why mine has been deleted.

Anyway I still think it was an appalling comment to make on a public forum when the poster is not known personally, as I said previously in my deleted post!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Dec-21 18:22:46

WithoutH3r, I hope you're still reading. If you were to end your life you would damage your grand daughter's life irreparably. She would forever feel responsible and never recover from it. I'm sure Annie from the Black Dog Gang could explain it very well as her daughter ended her own life due to mental illhealth. She and her grand daughter live with this sadness every day. Don't do it to someone you love. If you have lost contact with your grand daughter the Salvation Army are very good at putting people back in touch. Give them a try, they are good people. Please come back to us. PM me if you wish. x

25Avalon Tue 21-Dec-21 18:24:17

Op is in much pain and has reached out to us. I am perturbed to discover some posts have had to be deleted. Please be kind to WithoutH3r.

Madgran77 Tue 21-Dec-21 18:39:47

25Avalon

One post was highly inappropriate. Several posters including myself said so, perfectly politely. The original post was quite rightly deleted.

The others will presumably have been deleted as they referred directly to the first inappropriate post!

Grammaretto Tue 21-Dec-21 20:07:34

I hope you have found a sense of support reading these replies.
Most people are kind. We don't know the actual circumstances or any of the people involved so any suggestions are bound to be subjective.
The way you have written sounds over protective to my mind but that may seem OK to you.
I have 4 adult DC who have all made lives for themselves and have their own families. I think of them and worry about them at times but if I was to worry constantly what good would that do?
I lost my DH, their dad a year ago and something that keeps me going is the thought that they need me or at least they would be heartbroken again if I went too.
So I keep myself busy and take an interest in their progress.

Madgran77 Tue 21-Dec-21 20:18:03

withouth3r Are you OK? Please do call someone to get advice e and support as per earlier posts from myself and others

VioletSky Tue 21-Dec-21 20:18:04

I think it's always better with young adults to step back and pick your battles. This is quite often a normal stage in development and we have to let go so they come back or they just keep pulling until the strings that connect us break

Onstrike Tue 21-Dec-21 22:12:28

At the risk of getting off topic, I would like to apologize to anyone on this thread who found my earlier comment mean spirited or misplaced. I welcome any guidance via P.M. to point out what was wrong with it because I honestly do not know and do not wish to offend in the future.confused

Madgran77 Tue 21-Dec-21 22:21:13

Onstrike I have replied to your PM.

Granniesunite Tue 21-Dec-21 22:37:01

Without h3r keep your grandaughter close in your heart. You can’t change how you feel for her but you can change how you deal with it. I know I did just that.But it takes time and help from friends family anyone with a bit of sense really.
Good advice from poster on here I hope you act on them for your sake. Live for you everything else will fall into place with time and support .

Socksandsocks01 Sat 01-Jan-22 08:15:22

I'm the same. It's what hurts the most is my eldest granddaughter hating me. I don't think things will change but I take comfort ftom knowing I gave her refuge from her draconian parents. She can't remember those days but I can. Every time I think of any of them I pull my self back. I concentrate on crichet and knitting and daily work. I've had my best Xmas in 20 years. Peace. No drama. No unexpected requests to pick someone up late at night. If you look you will realise how better off you are without the worry and stress of them. My son has managed to turn my grandchildren against me. So be it. I've a right to enjoy my life and so have you. And that's what you must do. Take up a hobby. Go to dancing classes volunteer. Whatever takes your mind off it

Socksandsocks01 Sat 01-Jan-22 08:28:01

The thread for the black dog gang is closed. Germanshepherdmum

Smileless2012 Sat 01-Jan-22 10:24:22

My first post on this thread WithoutH3r and I see you've had some great support.

Your OP was upsetting to read and I was wondering how you are. Christmas is such a difficult time when there's upset in a family. I hope you got through it OKflowers.

OnwardandUpward Mon 03-Jan-22 01:45:06

VioletSky

I think it's always better with young adults to step back and pick your battles. This is quite often a normal stage in development and we have to let go so they come back or they just keep pulling until the strings that connect us break

Yes this is great advice. She might be going through a process of individuation and need space to adjust to new boundaries that feel more comfortable to her growing personality.

I definitely think giving space is a good idea. I gave my son 6/7 months and then when I tried to reconnect he actually seemed glad. It was a horrible time and I'm not sure it wouldn't happen again, but I think I'd be more aware what might be behind it now.

OnwardandUpward Mon 03-Jan-22 01:56:19

WithoutH3r I'm so sorry for your pain. I wish I could make it go away!

Here is a very useful link that I found helpful reconnectionclub.com/25/ as it describes how the developmental phase of Individuation can appear the same as estrangement. Reframing the estrangement as something your EC/GC needed to do in order to grow and not something personal against you may be helpful.

It may not be that, but it's certainly worth considering before taking it personally. It does hurt, I know- but it may be more about them than it is about us?