Gransnet forums

Estrangement

? estrangement with younger son after remarriage.

(11 Posts)
Marmite32 Thu 03-Feb-22 20:05:23

This broke my heart at the time. The others were more flexible and blended in. 3 of mine, one of his.
It was an awful time, he went back to his Dad., but we kept in touch.
He's a very idealistic person, married a lovely girl and they''ve moved to India and adopted 4 orphans. I've been there twice but still feel we're still not close.You know the usual feeling of closeness with your offsprings.
We communicate now by email but he hasn't replied to my last one.
It's strange, but we still care more about the lost sheep.

sodapop Thu 03-Feb-22 20:19:47

That's sad Marmite hopefully time may bring you closer. Your son sounds like a caring chap.

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Feb-22 09:32:21

It's good that you keep in touch Marmite, even by email. It's not the same of course but at least it's something.

Redhead56 Fri 04-Feb-22 10:21:58

Your son has taken on a family and you have gained grandchildren how wonderful. Our offspring are so busy these days we fit in with their lives and see them when we can. I’m sure this applies to your son keep in contact however you can.
I felt very lost when our two left home I felt I was grieving I really did. You maybe like me your mothering instincts are still strong that means we have done a good job.

Marmite32 Fri 04-Feb-22 15:48:10

Thanks for the kind replies.
Believe it or not, I got a reply today with some lovely photos of their winter holiday in Goa. Shows what Gransnet can do!
2 of their girls are graceful young women now. the boy a handsome teenager. More girls than boys for adoption.
Maybe the breach from my divorce is healing.

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Feb-22 17:11:06

That's lovely Marmitesmile, time is a great healer so perhaps time was all he needed.

Hithere Fri 04-Feb-22 17:33:02

Sorry you do not have the relationship you wish to have with them

You are far from estranged, however

Allsorts Sat 05-Feb-22 20:38:50

Marmite, the truest words, we always search for the lost sheep. You are not estranged, far from it, but it’s sad you haven’t the relationship you wanted, they grow up, start their own families, life is so busy for them, children don’t see parents as we used to, out of duty however busy we were, not so now. We always want more than they do I think.

Marmite32 Sun 06-Feb-22 16:17:35

You're right I don't think we're estranged. But it's 10 years since we last visited and the children have changed so much. They were all taken in as tiny babies.
Main thing, they all seem to be well. But such a different life.

VioletSky Sun 06-Feb-22 16:22:52

I'm sorry it's not the relationship you want, I have relatives overseas and it is hard.

Glad he replied to you though, keep it going

V3ra Sun 06-Feb-22 16:52:48

As the children are older now, are you able to keep in touch with them all by messaging them directly?