Gransnet forums

Estrangement

I really think I would have made a good grandfather.

(112 Posts)
DannyD Sat 06-Aug-22 18:38:19

I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 47+ years now. My wife and I are both in our mid 60s, and have three children, all of whom are married with our two sons, both in their mid 40s having children of their own.

My wife has suffered with both mental and physical issues for years, having been diagnosed with Lupus, Fibro, RA, Bipolarism, Depression, and most recently, Major Cognitive Disorder (Dementia).

Facebook! Is it a godsend or a God Damn curse? While we are neither one on Facebook anymore, we were one time. Our sons live off, one 120 miles away and the other in Korea, so the only way to keep current with them was texting or Facebook. I don't know when or how it all started, but one remark made then a counter and it just seemed to escalate. No need to get into a she said/she said here.

I've tried to play peacemaker, and have had some success. I've tried my best to explain to my sons and daughter their mother's state of mind and the fact that she has said some things better left unsaid. I guess whatever she said, and for the life of me I can't remember, is simply unforgiveable for one of my sons and my daughter, who is much younger, in her mid 20s.

Our son who lives in Korea with his wife and two daughters understands what is going on and messages us regularly, and his wife sends pictures to keep us up to date as we watch our granddaughters grow up.

Our son, who has three sons, and his wife, for whatever reason, refuses to text, message, call, or visit. Our last visit with them, us going to their house, was Christmas of 2021, and I thought it was a wonderful visit. Of course my wife could not interact as she wanted to due to her conditions, but when we left their house we were both so pleased that the visit had gone well. Since then I've tried calling, texting, and emailing both my son and daughter-in-law to see how everyone was doing, but have only been met with sporadic texts. I did manage to get my son to call me one morning. He had me on speaker and was driving two of his boys to school. After passing pleasantries, I told him I was curious why neither he nor his wife would contact us. I said that I thought our Christmas visit went well, and thought the past was behind us. He told me it was not me, that he didn't like the way "mom was." I said well I guess I'm just collateral damage, huh? His response "It is what it is".

I won't get into issues involving my wife and daughter.

Anyway, Like the title says, I always thought I would have made a good grandfather.

VioletSky Mon 08-Aug-22 21:11:16

DannyD has my admiration either way as it's such a sad situation and he must do what feels right for him.

I just hope you know DannyD it is a choice where you can love everyone and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that

Smileless2012 Mon 08-Aug-22 21:03:52

Yes it is a pity if he feels he has to choose between his wife and his AC Chewbacca. If he chooses to put his wife first, he has my admiration too Norah.

VioletSky Mon 08-Aug-22 21:03:29

No worries

Norah Mon 08-Aug-22 21:00:28

Oh dear, I used pejorative instead of prerogative. Changes the meaning of my answer, sorry.

VioletSky Mon 08-Aug-22 20:54:17

Norah

I simply gave differing opinions to how I read the post. As Chewbacca noted, opinions are allowed. As is reading of the OP content, truly parsing the written words.

OK, to me OP sounded sad and like he needed support so I've given it and I hope things improve for him

Chewbacca Mon 08-Aug-22 20:50:54

I find it admirable to put his wife first.

As do I. It's just a pity he's been put in the position of having to choose between his son and family and his wife.

Norah Mon 08-Aug-22 20:46:47

I simply gave differing opinions to how I read the post. As Chewbacca noted, opinions are allowed. As is reading of the OP content, truly parsing the written words.

Chewbacca Mon 08-Aug-22 20:38:55

Did anyone say it wasn't? It's been said many times before, everyone has their own opinion and they're allowed,within guidelines.

VioletSky Mon 08-Aug-22 20:38:45

Norah

VioletSky I support OP seeing his children and grandchildren, pretty sure that's allowed

Indeed, I'm sure that is allowed.

However, I have not read anything indicating he was asking support, rather just making some statements with many omitted details.

I supported as well, I find it admirable to put his wife first.

OK, can you please just tell me what it is that you want from me?

I am afraid us giving the same advice is probably off the table but other than that?

Norah Mon 08-Aug-22 20:35:54

VioletSky I support OP seeing his children and grandchildren, pretty sure that's allowed

Indeed, I'm sure that is allowed.

However, I have not read anything indicating he was asking support, rather just making some statements with many omitted details.

I supported as well, I find it admirable to put his wife first.

VioletSky Mon 08-Aug-22 19:22:39

Norah

VioletSky He is the one asking for support here and I support him seeing his children and grandchildren

I have not read anything that indicated he was asking support, rather just making *some statements with many omitted details (as is his pejorative)

I support OP seeing his children and grandchildren, pretty sure that's allowed

JaneJudge Mon 08-Aug-22 17:24:10

It has been some years since I read it and I've had a migraine today so my memory is hazy at best smile I just remember being gripped by it and I read it one sitting!

Lathyrus Mon 08-Aug-22 17:20:32

One of the bits that sticks with me is the daughter always having to give in to her mother’s demand that she spend time with her having tea with her mother’s friends. Totally ignored and somewhat frightened.

And the mother and father both convinced that it was a wonderful treat to have her mother take notice of her. Her memories of the ongoing agony of the whole thing. And the adults oblivion and focus on themselves.

Lathyrus Mon 08-Aug-22 17:15:12

The ending shocked me. I didn’t see that coming, did you?

JaneJudge Mon 08-Aug-22 17:12:34

I liked that book too

Lathyrus Mon 08-Aug-22 17:10:18

spare time ?

Lathyrus Mon 08-Aug-22 17:10:01

If people have got a bit of soars time they might like to read the novel “Notes From an Exhibition” by Patrick Gale.

It is fiction but gives a very clear account of a childhood in a family where one parent has mental health problems and the other parent, in supporting her, is in totally denial as to his children’s experiences with their mother and the extent to which both parents require the children to constantly accomodate their mothers needs. The story goes on into their adult lives and how it then impacts on them into their life and relationships.

It was thoroughly researched by talking and listening to peoples experiences.

As I said before, the son was willing to have his parents therefor Christmas so something happened to change that.

MissAdventure Mon 08-Aug-22 16:59:39

I think paying his respects to his nan was unavoidable.
She and my daughter were best friends, and he was old enough to express that he wanted to go.

It's not as if someone strangled a kitten in front of him.

Norah Mon 08-Aug-22 16:57:24

MissAdventure Some parents are very protective of their children in case they "get upset". If that is the case here, then it really is what it is.

None of my daughters like their children or grandchildren upset for any avoidable reason, nor did I. Reasonable I think.

MissAdventure Mon 08-Aug-22 16:46:47

Some parents are very protective of their children in case they "get upset".
If that is the case here, then it really is what it is.

My big grandsons dad didn't want him to come to my mums funeral, in case he got upset. he was overruled

Smileless2012 Mon 08-Aug-22 16:39:48

I think he just wants to be a part of all of his children's and GC's lives, something that most of us want. Hopefully the responses here have given some food for thought, perhaps enabling him to decide what he is and is not able or prepared to do going forward.

In any event, this has to be something that his children want too.

Lathyrus Mon 08-Aug-22 16:32:48

I think you were the one jumping!

He was very clear that his wife suffered from from long-standing and ongoing mental health issues and the dementia was an additional new issue.

The sons comments, I think, show that it is something the whole family have had to deal with over the years but you seem to gave focused only on the recent diagnosis of dementia and judged them on that and your own experience.

I just wanted to point out that their experience is likely to have been very different from that of a loving granny who has become confused. Enough to make the son decide that it was not what he wanted his family to have to endure. We don’t know what happened, the OP was unaware. But something did.

Normandygirl Mon 08-Aug-22 16:12:25

Lathyrus

Ah Normandy girl can I point out that none of the very difficult situations with your grandmother involved physical violence towards children or other adults who were less strong than themselves. Or cruelty to small animals.
Nor constant verbal abuse along the lines of how useless your children were, how they should have been aborted or strangled, with gestures to match. Your grandma did frighten an older child into attacking his smaller brother or threaten you with a knife while your children looked on.

You have had experience with dementia but I can’t believe you would have willingly allowed your children to remain in that kind of scenario.

The OPs son invited them for Christmas. At they point they were willing to support and have the OP and his wife in their home. But something happened, bad enough for the parents to say “No more”.

Nowhere in the OP's post did he indicate any violence, verbal or otherwise took place, in fact he said that the he felt the visit had gone really well. That doesn't sound to me that his wife was attacking anyone or threatening anyone with knives etc. Dementia is a progressive illness and very individual in it's symptoms and we have no idea how it is affecting the OP's wife or her behaviour. Not every dementia sufferer is violent or abusive and jumping to that conclusion is pre-emptive.

DiamondLily Mon 08-Aug-22 15:24:58

Georgesgran

It’s a pity DannyD hasn’t responded to the many comments - many constructive and helpful.

Like so many posts recently, the OPs post and never return.

Georgesgran Mon 08-Aug-22 14:57:34

It’s a pity DannyD hasn’t responded to the many comments - many constructive and helpful.