Gransnet forums

Estrangement

blog to tell family stories

(54 Posts)
Stillstanding Fri 30-Sep-22 17:38:16

I am considering starting a Blog to tell my grandsons (now 30 and 27), and their descendants, the sort of family stories they would have heard if they were allowed to know me. I have already written a book, self-published for my grandsons and other members of my family, about my findings when I traced our ancestry. Distant cousins have given me really good feedback regarding the book but nothing from my grandsons although the book is dedicated to them and comes up if they Google their own names.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has written a Blog for their grandchildren and their descendants.

Stillstanding Wed 05-Oct-22 16:19:04

How wires do cross!

Callistemon21 Mon 03-Oct-22 20:06:17

that is what the OP wants to do.
Sorry -
that is not what the OP wants to do.

Callistemon21 Mon 03-Oct-22 20:05:29

Normandygirl

I must be reading the OP differently from others on here. The OP hasn't stated that she wants to reunite with anyone, only that she's sad that half of her grandson's family history is missing. She wants to make sure that, should there come a time when they, or their children, or their children's children want to know the complete family history, the missing half has been documented. There is nothing wrong with that.

I suggested she writes the stores down and leaves them with her solicitor but that is what the OP wants to do.

As *Violetsky says: Plus there are far less public channels to at least try

A blog is different.
Blog:
noun
a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.
verb
add new material to or regularly update a blog.
"it's about a week since I last blogged"

VioletSky Mon 03-Oct-22 19:03:52

I think it is the dedicating these things to her grandchildren by name so it is the first result if they Google themselves which is the main issue.

They are not in contact with her and dont wish to be at the present time.

Obviously my feelings would be stronger if they were minor children

Plus there are far less public channels to at least try and if there is no response it should stop

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Oct-22 19:01:39

There are other ways. It doesn’t have to be a blog. However, OP’s mind is made up and she only wants to hear from others who have gone down the same route. In other words, she wants only approval. Sending stories out into the ether in the hope that generations as yet unborn will find them is the stuff of madness.

JaneJudge Mon 03-Oct-22 18:58:42

It is how I read it as well Normandy

I know she has become quite passionate but it's hardly a crime

Normandygirl Mon 03-Oct-22 18:53:47

I must be reading the OP differently from others on here. The OP hasn't stated that she wants to reunite with anyone, only that she's sad that half of her grandson's family history is missing. She wants to make sure that, should there come a time when they, or their children, or their children's children want to know the complete family history, the missing half has been documented. There is nothing wrong with that.

imaround Mon 03-Oct-22 18:31:08

The OP has already made her mind up that she is 1) right and 2) doing this no matter the consequences. It doesn't matter if everyone else on the planet thinks she is making a big mistake.

I feel sorry for her grandchildren. They didn't ask to be the target of OPs unhealthy expectations and continued attempts to.get them to contact her.

I agree with those who said getting counseling would be a benefit. I can also see why the OP does not see it as a benefit, because no responsible therapist will agree with her that her actions are good for family relations.

Until the OP realizes that being right is less important than being together, this is all she has to grasp onto.

Callistemon21 Mon 03-Oct-22 18:18:01

I thought I made a good suggestion ......
But the OP said she doesn't want opinions, just approval.

Callistemon21 Mon 03-Oct-22 18:16:17

To those who say that 50 per cent of trees on Ancestry are talking rubbish. Have you done a survey...No! its just you being judgemental and passing off a geustimate as knowledge.Dangerous habit.
My guestimate is that it is more like 60 per cent

How rude.

Chestnut said:
At least 50% of public Ancestry trees are complete rubbish, especially the larger ones

At least 50% could be 60%
I suggested some could be inaccurate.
You disagree but it doesn't mean we're talking rubbish.

CALM DOWN
A good suggestion - as ASG said Frankly, you sound very hostile

VioletSky Mon 03-Oct-22 18:12:43

I don't think you will accomplished what you want stillstanding.

People here haven't written blogs about family because of the issues stated.

But I think you could write your blog for the people you do have good relationships with and have it mean something

And I think you could only share perdonal information belonging to those who give you permission or those who have passed away.

And I think attaching your own name would make it available to anyone looking...

And that would be OK

JaneJudge Mon 03-Oct-22 18:06:34

I don't do Ancestry but I can understand if you are interested in family history you may find it helpful to your extended family. I also understand you might be sad and angry about how things with your daughter and her children have worked out. It is ok to feel whatever you feel you know. Try not to take people's comments personal. Nobody really knows anything, only what you post. It;s how these type of forums work smile

Stillstanding Mon 03-Oct-22 18:01:31

imaround, thank you.

To those who say that 50 per cent of trees on Ancestry are talking rubbish. Have you done a survey...No! its just you being judgemental and passing off a geustimate as knowledge. Dangerous habit.

My guestimate is that it is more like 60 per cent. Ancestry is just a bit of fun that some people take too far and they link their trees with as many as possible. You can easily tell who they are as they have thousands on their trees. I only have a few hundred. Each one checked and rechecked by me. I am proud to be the descendant of cordwainers and musicians and there are so many sets of twins on my tree! Just a bit of interesting fun. Nothing to get paranoid about.
What are people so scared of? Why do some people think very body is after info about them.
CALM DOWN.
If someone thinks they are related to you and try to connect to you they can only do it through the site and you can cut them off.

As for my idea about the blog imaround is correct, I did not ask for all your judgemental criticisms or opinions, I only asked if anyone else has done this! Thanks a bunch. Not!

imaround Mon 03-Oct-22 03:52:35

I see that you did not ask for advice, only to connect with other estranged parents/grandparents who have done the same thing. So you have made your mind up that you are going to do this no matter what happens and you seem determined and rather impatient at being told that it may not be a good idea.

It sounds like you have other family who would value the information. IMO they should be the reason you do this.

I do hope as you do this, you do it with a healthy set of expectations. Good luck!

MercuryQueen Mon 03-Oct-22 03:29:15

@Stillstanding, your words read as though your motivation is largely from anger and bitterness. And that’s only in a few responses here.

I don’t think you’re going to accomplish what you want.

VioletSky Sun 02-Oct-22 23:03:02

Mine would go in the bin too. I would value people having accountability for past issued and working towards a positive relationship in the future much more than the past

Summerlove Sun 02-Oct-22 22:30:41

AmberSpyglass

They’re adults, adults who have decided not to get in touch with you. And do you honestly think someone will stumble across your blog and suddenly want you reunite with their grandparents?

Frankly, you sound very hostile. You don’t mention why you don’t have a relationship with your AC and DGC, but maybe try looking there first.

And if a random relative sent me a book full of ‘entertaining’ stories about what so and so said to such and such, it would probably go straight into the bin.

My copy would also go in the bin

I’d be very annoyed that same relative made it a point to ensure that anytime someone googled me that her other book showed up.

AmberSpyglass Sun 02-Oct-22 22:14:45

They’re adults, adults who have decided not to get in touch with you. And do you honestly think someone will stumble across your blog and suddenly want you reunite with their grandparents?

Frankly, you sound very hostile. You don’t mention why you don’t have a relationship with your AC and DGC, but maybe try looking there first.

And if a random relative sent me a book full of ‘entertaining’ stories about what so and so said to such and such, it would probably go straight into the bin.

Mandrake Sun 02-Oct-22 22:03:02

If you want to leave such a legacy, write a book and post a copy to your grandchildren. At their ages, it is fine to go ahead and do that. A book will be more durable and dependable than a blog.

Summerlove Sun 02-Oct-22 21:52:25

Cold = good

VioletSky Sun 02-Oct-22 20:34:09

It's just the truth, no I'm nit a counsellor...

Maybe the laws on stalking and harassment are just different where you are

Summerlove Sun 02-Oct-22 20:28:51

Stillstanding

To those who recommend counselling. I have come to the conclusion that the only people who get anything out of counselling are professional councillors who send out their bills.
To those who tell me to give up on my grandsons; as I have said already; I have. This is for my great grand children and their descendants yet unborn and for all grandchildren who may not even know they have a grandparent.
VioletSky; you have completely misread the whole thread; deliberately maybe? to accuse me of stalking and harassment is a bit sick. You sound like a counsellor in need of a sucker/customer.

I’m sorry you’ve not had cold experiences with therapists
Is that perhaps because you don’t like what they say?

I’m not sure why you’re asking for opinions and then arguing with viewpoints you don’t like.

Leave your grandchildren alone

Stillstanding Sun 02-Oct-22 14:48:06

To those who recommend counselling. I have come to the conclusion that the only people who get anything out of counselling are professional councillors who send out their bills.
To those who tell me to give up on my grandsons; as I have said already; I have. This is for my great grand children and their descendants yet unborn and for all grandchildren who may not even know they have a grandparent.
VioletSky; you have completely misread the whole thread; deliberately maybe? to accuse me of stalking and harassment is a bit sick. You sound like a counsellor in need of a sucker/customer.

Sara1954 Sun 02-Oct-22 08:27:54

Very good advice Mandrake

Sara1954 Sun 02-Oct-22 08:24:48

I understand what you are feeling, but definitely feel you are going about it in the wrong way,

It sounds like an unusual situation where you became estranged from your daughter because of her husband’s families culture? Religion? It’s not clear, or maybe just an extremely dominant mother in law.

But the girl had choices, and whatever her reason, she seems to have stuck by it. So I agree with those who have suggested you write something to be left in your will.