Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Reducing contact because my heart just isn't in it.

(179 Posts)
lovethepuppies Wed 15-Jul-26 09:42:13

I don't want to post the details. It may be identifying for anyone who knows the situation and I don't want that for anyone.

I have finally reached a turning point with my parents. They have really shown me where I rank. I think I want to back off a little but I don't want to hurt them either. I just feel my heart isn't in it feeling the way I do right now. I don't want them to visit (they live far away, so that's not something that happens much anyway). On the other hand, I know they aren't getting any younger. I do believe in the saying not to cross oceans for people who won't jump puddles for you though. It really shows what place you have.

Is there a way to gently pull back with as little pain to anyone as possible?

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Aug-26 15:17:37

And it's often the case that it's because of the adult child's and/or their partners behaviour. That isn't the case for the OP, which is why each one should be seen and responded too individually without sweeping generalisations.

MarieElla Mon 24-Aug-26 15:01:24

It's often the case and is in the OP's.
Her mother has takes no responsibility for the damage she's caused in their relationship.

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Aug-26 14:56:58

That's unfair MarieElla. What you say is one of many reasons for low or no contact but there are others.

EAC are just as likely to tell other relatives friends and neighbours that they did nothing wrong when they have.

Yes it is wonderful crazy in fact for me, everything lovethepuppies has posted has been lovely to read. Her insight, compassion and understanding shine through smile.

crazyH Mon 24-Aug-26 12:12:51

Isn’t it wonderful that the OP has replied to most individual posters, unlike some who start a Post and then never return either with a comment or update - much appreciated 👏

MarieElla Mon 24-Aug-26 12:01:39

They also tend to tell other relatives friends and neighbours that they did nothing wrong, that their child is spoilt and entitled....generally.

MarieElla Mon 24-Aug-26 11:59:23

I think the biggest reason adult children for going no or low contact is the parent's inability to accept responsibility for their actions and a lack of willingness to address them.
It's a form of old fashioned arrogance in thinking that as the parent they must be respected regardless of how they behave.

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Aug-26 09:03:54

I understand veronica how but she's your mother grates; hearing but he's your son grated on us flowers.

It's difficult for anyone who hasn't experienced it to understand and even shared similarities of estrangement, doesn't necessarily mean there's a total understanding of why someone feels and responds the way they do.

veronica678 Mon 24-Aug-26 08:16:59

I realised over the years that my mother saw me as her property and not a separate feeling person. I existed for her comfort and to make her happy by doing and saying exactly what she wanted. If thwarted she would fall into blind rages followed by silence and I would desperately try to talk her round apologising for the "misdemeanours" I had unknowingly committed.
Eventually I realised she wasn't normal and treating her as a normal person wasn't ever going to lead to a normal relationship. So I started to disengage and when she raged, said I wasn't going to listen and walked off or put the phone down or whatever. In time she improved a little but the expectations were still there. When you finally realise it isn't you, it's her, you might feel more able to move on. The sad thing for you is that she probably treats other people well and so they can't believe she is as difficult as you say. The number of people who used to say to me "but she's your mother". It's very difficult for most people to understand that just because someone's a mother they are automatically loving and caring.

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Aug-26 07:45:40

It's fear lovethepuppies; the fear of it happening again because his estrangement almost broke us.

It's taken years to rebuild our lives which began by moving away 4 years after we were estranged. Looking back to that time I don't know how we got through it and I don't think we'd have the strength to do so again.

lovethepuppies Sun 23-Aug-26 22:51:40

InRainbows, I wonder if my mother not having family around due to moving away from family has led her to expect more from her children in filling that gap?

Smileless, I can understand how you could get to that point. Sometimes there's been a lot of water under the bridge and the work needed to rebuild from scratch must feel quite overwhelming. Some people also have issues that we need to distance ourselves from for our own protection. Grown children sometimes too, as painful as it is. I suppose that's advice I can take myself in reverse.

Smileless2012 Sun 23-Aug-26 16:35:06

I agree InRainbows that no one should feel any guilt for protecting themselves, but when you love the one you're protecting yourself from, that's easier said then done.

I sometimes feel guilty for never wanting to reconcile with our youngest son who estranged us because 'that's not how mothers should feel' but I have too, to protect myself.

InRainbows Sun 23-Aug-26 15:42:05

lovethepuppies you deserve so much better. What a kind and thoughtful person you are. You should never feel any guilt for protecting yourself, hard as that may be with family.

I think something must happen to people who become the way you describe your mother. Some sort of painful event in early life that stunted their emotional development. Would it be easier to view it that if they are not reacting to your absence in the normal ways of hurt and effort to change and are reacting with anger and manipulation instead that your distance is not harming them as much as you fear. Instead it is control they have lost and no one should be open to allowing another to control them.

stillawipp Sun 23-Aug-26 12:25:35

You are being so mature and sensible about this, lovethepuppies - I really do applaud you 👏🏻

lovethepuppies Sun 23-Aug-26 09:40:44

Yes, we have a history of things where she expects to be involved in everything and centered. She will say things like, "I was at your child's birth!" The subtext being, "I'm such a good, supportive mother I went out of my way and came to support you when you gave birth!" The reality is that she invited herself and came without being invited, when I told her I wanted it to be just me and my husband. To this day, I regret that I didn't tell her to leave. I did for my second birth, as I wasn't taken by surprise, and the tantrum on her part wasn't pretty. So this is what I base my statement that there is no point trying to communicate my side of things to her. She has her own reality.

If it comes up more naturally, I will be more explicit about what it was that finally flipped the switch for me. Factually though, not up for discussion.

I just want to make this as painless as possible for everyone. It's not an easy transition. Your support helps. Thank you.

Smileless2012 Sun 23-Aug-26 09:29:24

Yes, that makes sense; thanks Allsorts smile.

I think you're right about not going in for lengthy explanations that you know will be unproductive, especially if you've tried this in the past lovethepuppies.

Creating a new normal is never easy and takes time but I do believe that with patience and in particular your mature approach to this, it will be achievable.

I hope that your mum will be able to not only accept the changes in your relationship but be at least grateful that she is still a part of your life.

hollysteers Sun 23-Aug-26 09:08:14

Yours is a difficult position lovethepuppies as your treatment has not been so drastic as to lead to completely cutting off your parents, which happened in my case regarding my father and although sad, was more straightforward.

However, as Meghan would say, you have “your truth” and the truth is your mother makes you unhappy. Why should you put up with that? Why not be more ruthless? Without going back through the thread, I believe you are the eldest and that can bring unnecessary feelings of responsibility.

Your mother is reaping what she has sown and I would be more draconian and look to myself at this stage without guilt.
Not many children turn against their parents without reason.

Allsorts Sun 23-Aug-26 08:30:10

I think User meant some people love their parents and are heartbroken and not relieved when they die. I know I was heartbroken.

lovethepuppies Sat 22-Aug-26 23:01:27

I think there's truth in every response, so thank you. It's true that my mother isn't going to accept any explanation that doesn't suit her. Lengthy explanations trying to get her to see my side of things aren't going to be productive.

While there is obviously a lot of stuff that went before for decades, the situation referred to from private messages is about what happened when I tried to organise a visit, which was more for my mother than myself. It has been something of a tipping point.

This provides context for the response that I did give, which was that she could have heard my voice if the visit had worked out. There hasn't been any response to that. I have said we share lots in messaging and I will call for my father's birthday next month.

I still have no intention of going NC. The relationship and contact we have is just under revision. I suppose that was always going to be a difficult process while everyone gets used to a new normal.

Harris27 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:45:05

Just pull back and the relationship may be a lot better. Contact no conflict is my motto it has worked for me. Birthdays Christmas and small things in between thank god for mobile phone and texting.

stillawipp Sat 22-Aug-26 15:23:44

Smileless2012

Maybe as you're alluding to what the OP has revealed to you in private messages stillawipp your post @ 13.11 would have been better sent as a private message.

No, it’s fine thanks, I’m happy with my post

Smileless2012 Sat 22-Aug-26 14:25:56

I agree MarieElla that vagueness would be the way to go.

Smileless2012 Sat 22-Aug-26 14:23:42

Maybe as you're alluding to what the OP has revealed to you in private messages stillawipp your post @ 13.11 would have been better sent as a private message.

MarieElla Sat 22-Aug-26 13:42:19

You're doing so well, so far, with this method of distancing.
Yes, vest give her a brief explanation.
Something vague too.
Maybe, "hi Mum, I'm using my phone less for talking and more for messaging these days"
Or suggest voice notes/messaging?
I do that with my toxic sister...about once a fortnight.

stillawipp Sat 22-Aug-26 13:11:52

lovethepuppies

I'm now getting complaints that she misses my calls. I told her we chat plenty over text but she wants to hear my voice. I'm going to have to give an explanation, aren't I? Release us both from the expectation.

Yes, I think you now should say something OP, in particular the issue which you told me in private messages...she needs to know what an issue that is for you.

Smileless2012 Sat 22-Aug-26 12:28:13

It isn't unusual though is it User.

Sorry, I don't understand your last sentence.