Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Struggling with estrangement from 2 adult children and dont know where to go from here.

(35 Posts)
Redheadpanda20 Tue 18-Aug-26 21:41:56

InRainbows
InRainbows
To be fair he wasnt really there for them growing up whereas I was, ALL the time, I brought them up virtually alone yet now the sun shines out of his backside. I see your point though. I hadn't thought about that. Its the recent things that have put the nail in the coffin thou

Redheadpanda20 Tue 18-Aug-26 21:26:57

Fancythat
He said I dont go and see them or make any effort despite me asking to go and see them often but they were busy but then he moved house and didnt say ot where he was, so I cant see them if I don't know where they are. As I said I have tried on several occasions with them both if they would be prepared to meet me and at least discuss things but they don't want this either. So like thebother poster said "dammed if tou do and dammed if you dont!!!

Redheadpanda20 Tue 18-Aug-26 21:20:44

Thank you, your message has made a lot of sense. I have actually started talking therapy but as yet it doesnt seem to doing what I want it to do, which is rewire my brain to cope better with the situation. I see that by getting me to focus on different things it takes it away from the main cause but thats only fine while talking to them. When the call is finished, my brain goes into overdrive again. I really need to find a different focus, hard when you dont have many people to turn to and no money to go and join clubs etc. I have tried going for a walk but thats boring on your own and just pounding the streets of the town as I dont drive. But thank you again, it meant a lot.

Smileless2012 Tue 18-Aug-26 17:39:15

It could be an example of mixed messages fancythat.

Before we were estranged our ES said they 'needed some space' after our first GC was born which we of course gave them but when we were eventually estranged, one of the things he accused us of was 'not being interested'.

Sometimes it's a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Cossy Tue 18-Aug-26 17:16:50

I’ve (to this point and thank goodness) not found myself in this upsetting and horrible situation.

If you want to, I can only suggest reaching out to both of your children, to see if either or both of them want to meet up, in the hope of some form of resolution or reconciliation.

Whatever you decide, I would still attempt to keep in touch with your grandchildren, just by cards and postcards on birthdays, Christmas and special occasions.

Good luck flowers

fancythat Tue 18-Aug-26 16:17:56

Not sure I can help at all.

But My son moved house and didnt tell me yet says about me not seeing them. - what does this mean?
Is your youngest son wanting contact with you?

InRainbows Tue 18-Aug-26 15:17:04

I wonder if perhaps they found it very difficult that shortly after their father took away so much family stability by leaving, you then went off in a different direction too and were not available or answering calls and texts. Perhaps the issue is more that they felt abandoned twice in short succession and the world they were used to completely crumbled. Not answering calls and texts could be why they stopped passing on important news because they lost that feeling that you were there when needed.

Of course I may be very wrong But it could be that you are looking at this situation from your perspective and theirs is actually very different. Would it be worth reaching out and asking to discuss theirs? The break up of a marriage is a wound that children of the marriage share and they will also have a lot of feelings attached that they may not have dealt with properly while they were focused on ensuring you were ok. The fact that they did check on you so diligently reassures me that, this is perhaps a mother and sons that can be brought back together if all involved really considers each other and listens.

Smileless2012 Tue 18-Aug-26 09:16:54

Hello Redheadpanda.

I'm so sorry that despite you all talking about what had affected your relationship with your sons, nothing was really resolved and you are now estranged from them both.

There comes a time when you need to let them go; to get on with the lives they've chosen to live without you so you can find a way to live your life without them.

To say that isn't an easy thing to do is a gross understatement. It's so hard when you have a partner to share the pain; so much harder when you live alone, which is why it would be an idea to consider counselling.

We've been estranged from our youngest son and only GC for more than 13.5 years and with time, went from wanting things to be different to realising that they never will be and it was then that we began to heal and rebuild our lives.

In our experience and the experience of so many EP's I've read over the years, estrangement takes time to process and is more often than not a work in process, rather than a task that gets completed.

As well as considering counselling, you could write one more time to say that you love them, will always be 'here' if they need you but wont be contacting them again; this would be a good first step in letting go.

There is a life to be had after estrangement, it just isn't the one we thought we would have flowers.

Redheadpanda20 Mon 17-Aug-26 23:13:05

I need help to process.

Redheadpanda20 Mon 17-Aug-26 23:10:11

Hi I have been totally estranged from my 2 grown up sons for over 2 years but the problem has been going on longer than that and I dont exactly know why. It mainly started after my I wish wasnt husband walked out on me after 32 years of marriage and his parting shot was "I may as well tell you but Ive been seeing someone else for a few months. For the first few months they weren't speaking to him but checked in with me, "how are you" " have you slept" "are you eating peoperly" etc. And then after 6 months I met someone new. It was all new and flattering for me after all the time being married. It wasnt dealt with properly on both sides as I wasnt telling the lads where I was or answering messages and calls and I think they resented the fact of me meeting someone. Anyway it all came to a head at the christmas. In my eyes I was pleasing everybody. I didnt want to be in my home as it had been previously, but my boys didnt want me on my own for the first christmas. So we went to my Dads and the lads were there too but I had made arrangements to go and meet my new bloke to spend part of christmas with him too. Well the lads didn't like it and said I was too happy to go off with a bloke I'd hardly met. They were really funny with me and I finally confronted them to ask what was wrong. We had a sit down discussion and aired all our differences and to be fair although things appeared resolved - they weren't by a LONG WAY. So moving on there have been numerous things that have happened and bit by bit they have stopped all contact. My eldest son had another child who was really poorly when he was born but I felt I wasnt included with him and I stepped back as his other grandparents were there all the time and also I didn't feel comfortable there. Anyway he had major surgery after his 1st birthday and they didnt even tell me he'd been admitted, no news of the op or when he came home. That was when he was 1 and I havent seen him since. My son moved house and didnt tell me yet says about me not seeing them. There was also an incident at my youngests wedding but again I didn't even feel that they wanted me there as they came with an ultimatum with the invite. Ive had nothing for christmas, Mothers day or birthdays for all that time and its breaking my heart. I have approached them to try to resolve things but all I get is either awful hurtful messages or just no response. I have now met someone and its been over 3 years now but I mainly live on my own and its awful. I cry most nights because I just want things to be different. Its eating away at me and I just dont know where to turn.