Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Too Old for Selfies?

(39 Posts)
annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 17:34:14

I was flabbergasted at the weekend! I just happened to mention having taken a selfie and my 12-year-old GD gasped and blurted out, 'Old people don't take selfies! They're for young people.' Her parents and I couldn't stop laughing - she was so indignant! Anyway, she just has to put up with the notion that grannies are indeed capable of taking selfies - and even possess smart phones with which to take them. shock

Alea Mon 28-Sep-15 10:39:14

When I was younger . .. .
and you say you are only in your 20's, NathalieMartin, what an advanced child you must have been!! grin

NathalieMartin Mon 28-Sep-15 10:11:17

I am only in my 20's but no one is every too old for selfies!! I have got some lovely selfies that I took with my mum and grandma as well, I will try and post it up here.

When I was younger I used to to think that my generation was responsible for inventing everything as well!

nonnanna Thu 06-Aug-15 13:10:09

rubylady You look like you are concentrating on which button to press and your doggie is sooooo cute smile Haven't been able to perfect the selfie here yet because our phones camera only points forwards. We've tried turning it to face us but then you can't see what you're taking a picture of. Hilarious results of one ear, top of head, no person just a wall etc. Roll on new contract time.

MaryXYX Thu 06-Aug-15 12:47:43

I sometimes take selfies if I have a new outfit or item and want opinions. Most of my friends are too far away to pop round. Google says the one whose opinion I most often ask for is 3,375 miles away. If possible I prefer to get a friend to take the picture as that allows a longer range and more time to pose. For example "me in my new bikini" on holiday last week.

dorsetpennt Sat 01-Aug-15 20:51:23

Selfies! they're on my list. Recently I went around the National Gallery, crowded with tourists as you'd expect. I was standing in front of the famous Water Lilies by Monet when a young tourist asked me to move on as he wanted to take a damn selfie in front of it, apparently every picture in the gallery wasn't beautiful unless he was standing in front of it photographing himself. Needless to say I DID NOT move and stayed gazing at it for ages until he got fed up and moved on. A silly victory maybe but mine own. Later found out they aren't allowed anymore. Good. Some silly so called media obsessed woman in the U.S. has produced a book of herself in her selfies. Good Lord,

heavenknows Fri 31-Jul-15 17:34:49

I have to agree that the photo booths were our "selfies".. us piling in with friends to get a small strip of photos taken. Just no internet to post it on.

KatyK Thu 30-Jul-15 12:46:41

I can't stand to look in the mirror most days, never mind taking selfies! However, my 15 year old granddaughter is always saying 'come on nan, lets have a selfie' and I can't refuse her smile

rubylady Thu 30-Jul-15 01:27:05

No, no pout, lol, it was 5 am, we had stayed up all night for that shot. It was the only thing I wanted to do for my 50th. Sad, aren't I? No, they'd take me away if I started pouting too.

This year all I wanted for my 51st was relief from the pain of my blooming hot piles!

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Jul-15 21:48:12

Ruby Well done, a great idea.

Judthepud2 Wed 29-Jul-15 21:01:21

Aww Ruby so cute but what's this? No POUT!

TerriBull Wed 29-Jul-15 15:35:05

I think our generation had our own version of the so called "selfie". When I was young late teens maybe early 20s I remember piling into those photo booths, that do passport photos, with a couple of mates where we would suck our cheeks in a strike a pouting pose and then wait for the required few minutes and pour over the photographs before deciding, quite wisely, not to waste any more money cos we all looked a bit stupid shock I suppose we all had egos once! Having said that, this generation have the tools to hand to make them completely self obsessed.

thatbags Wed 29-Jul-15 15:17:20

My selfie this morning after scything wet grass and rushes wink

shysal Wed 29-Jul-15 13:47:42

Belated birthday greetings Rubylady cupcake! Your doggie looks lovely, as do you!

rubylady Wed 29-Jul-15 13:28:57

Sorry for looking so serious, lol.

rubylady Wed 29-Jul-15 13:28:22

I have took selfies, on my birthday, with my doggie. I was born at 5 am so last year on my 50th, there we were in the garden at 5 am, blanket, brew, cigarette (smoking then), and my doggie, watching the sun rise. I took a selfie on exactly 5 am on the dot. It was a lovely moment.

This year, last Thursday, when it was my birthday, we had another selfie done, just us two. I do have to have my nightie on though, lol. I did last year and so it's compulsory now. I can compare as I age and see how I am getting on with looking so youthful and attractive, in my nightie, lol. grin

mcculloch29 Tue 28-Jul-15 12:21:34

For various reasons I've had to take quite a few selfies in recent years and I'm getting rather good at it.
Initially, I discovered that I could upload a selfie to the county council website to renew my Blue Badge for disabled parking. I stared into the middle distance and clicked; the subsequent selfie makes me look as if my disability is severe visual impairment, with a completely unfocused gaze. Things improved slightly and my skills are a bit better now.

I am the proud owner of a selfie stick, (I review things on Amazon and a seller sent me a free one in return for a review). So far it's just been used in the house, but who knows? I may yet take it out and about.

I've always wished that I had more photographs of my family, especially my parents and siblings.
Well, the digital age has meant that I have quite a few of my grandchildren and great nieces/nephew. With the exception of the pouty poses that young women (including my 14 y.o. grand-daughter) INSIST on pulling, selfies are not a bad thing.

Just yesterday, I saw a lovely one of my Estonian cousin and his wife on Facebook, taken 2 days before, it was great to see them looking so well.

Pamish Tue 28-Jul-15 11:46:53

The reason selfies look so horrible is that phones have wide-angle cameras (get-it-all-in) so you have to use them close up. The goldfish effect that results does no-one any favours. (If you look at someone from a foot away, they do have the goldfish effect - it's just that your brain sorts out the 'distortion').

Selfies are to portraits as reality TV is to documentary.

Elrel Tue 28-Jul-15 10:44:26

The first selfie I took was to show GS I'd appropriated his discarded fedora on a very hot day. Next was among the orchids at wonderful Wisley when a GC had left my phone on selfie and I couldn't change it.
What really disconcerts me is being skyped. A beaming GC appears when I have thrown on something disreputable, or am in my nightwear, sans everything which makes me ready for the day. By the end of the chat I'm delighted they got in touch but my initial thought can be: not now, please! Skype is a definitely a mixed blessing!

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jul-15 23:57:22

No no no no! I don't do selfies. Not photogenic and would ruin anyone or anything I included! And frankly, why would I want to? More interested in people and places rather than myself. As for the 'pout', why?
My Instagram account is full of people posing in front of mirrors or pouting
to camera. I find it annoying. But everyone is entitled to do it.

Now, photobombing is much more fun! Even the Queen enjoys that grin

janeainsworth Mon 27-Jul-15 20:25:44

Anno Save your selfie as a JPEG, it should be ok.

thatbags Mon 27-Jul-15 19:50:45

wink

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jul-15 19:49:27

Oh. Right. (wanders off to have a deep and meaningful think about that)

thatbags Mon 27-Jul-15 19:47:09

If whatever "it" is is justified, then I don't think it can truly be called ageism. Isms are usually based on prejudices or mistaken beliefs.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jul-15 19:46:33

shock That last post wasn't directed at anno! blush

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jul-15 19:45:08

Sometimes ageism can be justified.