Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

It's that woman again!

(61 Posts)
shysal Tue 28-Jul-15 09:05:56

home.bt.com/news/uk-news/use-euthanasia-vans-on-old-people-says-katie-hopkins-11363994733297
She must have been getting short of money, so thought up another ridiculous statement.
Will you be queuing up for the euthanasia van? grin

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 14:02:00

I thought it was really funny, it made me burst out laughing! I wonder if it's a bit tongue-in-cheek? She does say that she thoroughly supports Dignitas, maybe she's just thinking we would all be happy to have a cheaper service!

After all, ice-floes are going to be a bit harder to find in the future.

sunseeker Tue 28-Jul-15 14:27:51

Can anyone tell me what this woman has ever done to deserve a place in the media? The first time I heard of her was when she went on some programme and insulted a woman who was overweight (I think!), before that I was blissfully unaware of her existence.

soontobe Tue 28-Jul-15 14:35:29

She started off on The Apprentice I think. Came 3rd? Was a hit in a sort of, wow way. Sort of mutually agreed to leave the competition as she wouldnt have wanted to be based in London permanently, when her kids were in Exeter. Something like that.
Then went on other reality shows.

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 14:37:28

She does say some truly dreadful things. I rather think that people admire her honesty, even if what she thinks is truly appalling at times. At least she's no hypocrite.

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Jul-15 16:14:48

Can anyone tell me who Katie Hopkins is? She keeps being quoted as an authority on everything, so who is she? Where did she come from? I assume she must be very educated to be such a universal expert!

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Jul-15 16:20:38

Sorry Soon. I scanned down too quickly and missed your bit about the Apprentice. It explains everything (somewhat). I've only seen the odd snippet of the Apprentice. Can't watch it. I find the kids on there unbearable!

loopylou Tue 28-Jul-15 16:28:26

She's a gormless, highly opinionated non-celebrity IMO, not safe to be let out unsupervised.

She clearly fails to engage her brain before opening her mouth!

Alea Tue 28-Jul-15 16:55:48

If anybody deserved the one way trip to the vet Dignitas Clinic, it is that woman angry

annodomini Tue 28-Jul-15 17:00:59

Didn't she drop out of the Apprentice just before the final? She probably knew she wouldn't win and didn't want to be seen as a loser. She makes a better living from being outrageously offensive.

granjura Tue 28-Jul-15 17:55:13

The problem with those kind of ridiculous statements, be it from her or Paxman, is that it does damage the really serious campaign for 'Dying with dignity'- a great shame.

Ana Tue 28-Jul-15 18:05:26

I think you're right, granjura.

The more those in the media 'joke' about old people queueing up on street corners or wherever to be 'put down', the more those in a position to make decisions about the possibility of the UK having Dignitas-style clinics will be frightened off. angry

granjura Tue 28-Jul-15 18:22:20

Ana to be fair, the campaing for 'Dignity in dying' is NOT in any way, shape or form, proposing Dignitas like 'clinics', at all - just like thatbags has already rightly stated.

Ana Tue 28-Jul-15 18:45:12

Please re-read thatbags' post, granjura:

The difference between euthanasia and assisted dying, as at Dignitas, is huge. Don't confuse the two. One is imposed (no choice), the other is self-chosen, wanted in fact, when one is ready.

What's wrong with what I said?

granjura Tue 28-Jul-15 18:54:49

OK thanks- so, Assisted dying takes many form- the main concept is that of CHOICE. Sadly, due to current UK Laws, travelling abroad to Dignitas, is the only choice if one does not want to endure the last stages of a terrible disease. Here in Switzerland, no Swiss will ever use Dignitas- they will get help via the society 'EXIT' which will help them die at home, where they want, and with or without family or friends present- with the music they choose, etc, exactly how THEY want. Dignity in Dying is fighting to get something similar for the UK- so people can die in their own home, should they WISH to, with all the checks and safeguards in place. So nothing like Dignitas, but much more like EXIT- which works really well here.

Ana Tue 28-Jul-15 19:04:03

Something like Dignitas would be better than the lack of choice we have here now, at least.

That's purely my personal opinion, of course.

thatbags Tue 28-Jul-15 19:24:31

How doctors want to die.

granjura Tue 28-Jul-15 19:36:43

Ana totally agree on this one. But Dignitas is just a last last sad resort for those whose country leaves them no choice- Dignity in Dying can do much much better than that, like EXIT here.

absent Tue 28-Jul-15 20:32:19

I wonder where this idea, if that's what it is, sprang from. Didn't the Nazis have mobile death vans/trucks before building the camps? I actually feel that this is quite a sinister suggestion.

Judthepud2 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:09:44

Whenever I hear comments like that gobby woman has just made, about older people being a nuisance and using up tax payers' money, I get great pleasure in thinking that they too will be the older generation some day (barring accident or terminal illness).

So watch out Katie Hopkins! The white van will be singing for you in the not too distant future! grin Be careful what you wish for. Stupid, unpleasant motormouth.

Seriously though, I have very ambivalent feelings about the right to die. i don't know how I would feel until faced with the situation.

GillT57 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:36:05

So Warner Leisure Breaks are full of older people then? Had been considering one, looked as if they were nice hotels, but if they are famed for being for older people, maybe will give them a miss. Anyone been? What was it like? I am not anti older people ( oldish myself) but dont like anywhere dominated by one age group.....

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 23:12:45

That was exactly how I thought Doctors would feel about it, Bags.

merlotgran Tue 28-Jul-15 23:28:26

We had a Warner Leisure break in March - an anniversary present from our kids grin

I didn't spot a suspicious looking van in the car park but that was probably because there were so many cars we couldn't find anywhere to park! It soon felt as though we were having a holiday in a giant old people's home.

We were waited on hand and foot and the accommodation was lovely, as was the food but would we go again?

The jury's out on that one. I felt I'd crossed a line I'm not ready for just yet.

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 23:48:32

I really hate their tv adverts. The woman looks positively manic.

Merlot, did the people there, indeed, do YOU, choose it because you knew there wouldn't be children there? I can't understand why anyone would choose somewhere like that. I love the houses they buy up, but it makes me feel cross that you can't stay there unless you are older.

grandMattie Wed 29-Jul-15 15:27:06

I've asked for a "DNAR" tatoo on my wrist as birthday present. DH is appalled at both the request and the yet-to-be tatoo! Bad luck, it isn't his life, but mine.

I also have told my children i have a stash of pills, and if I wake up dead one morning it will have been my choice. Shan't do it while DH is still alive though, it would distress him too much.

Katie HOpkins should be sent to one of those vans and that would stop her gobby, thoughtless, inane comments! She may say that she supports Dignitas, but who is to know what she really thinks - it may just be an Eperor's new clothes thing.

merlotgran Wed 29-Jul-15 16:04:40

janer, Our children treated us to a joint wedding anniversary/DH's 70th present. Because it was during the winter they chose it for the activities and entertainment which turned out to be a good move because the weather was atrocious and we had to abandon a couple of visits to nearby attractions.

It wasn't the no children rule that bothered me but the sheer size of the place (Thoresby Hall) and the vast number of visitors. It felt like Butlins for oldies and I've never been to Butlins. Definitely not a place to relax but fine if you like to have plenty to do. We enjoyed the evening entertainment because it was included in the price and better than watching telly in the bedroom!

I found myself struggling with the long slogs along various corridors/stairs/walk to carpark etc., and I ended up feeling really OLD and tired.....Not really what you want when you're supposed to be having a break.

I also disliked being force fed piped music..... Helen Shapiro, Lulu, Dusty Springfield et al for hours on end. The next lucky decade will hopefully get ELO and Thin Lizzy!!

I shouldn't moan. There are thousands who enjoy WL and go back time and time again. I just don't think it's me.