Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

My memory is going

(44 Posts)
jeanie99 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:03:08

It worries me, quite often I have to think for a few seconds before I can remember the word I need. Sometimes the name doesn't come, things like names of people, descriptive words, items I could go on and on.

I went to see the GP some months ago and he asked me a few questions month date time I was asked to remember a list of things, He said I was alright and said if I am aware of this I don't have the beginnings of Dementia.

In my working life my memory was good, does anyone else have this problem.

gillybob Thu 23-Feb-17 11:50:02

It worries me, quite often I have to think for a few seconds before I can remember the word I need. Sometimes the name doesn't come, things like names of people, descriptive words, items I could go on and on

I was diagnosed with MS when I was 29. One of the things that bothers me the most is exactly what you describe above jeanie99. (I am in no way suggesting you might have MS btw).

I find it so embarrassing when I cannot bring even the most ordinary word to mind and it really upsets me. Sometimes I worry about it so much that it makes me worse especially when I meet new people or at work.

Having said that, I think everyone suffers from this to some extent as we get older.

janeainsworth Thu 23-Feb-17 11:39:24

You've lost me there stansgrangrin
I sometimes dream that I have to feed ten people unexpectedly or that a horde of children are arriving for a birthday party for which I haven't prepared, or wake up in a panic because guests are arriving and I've still got my metaphorical curlers in, but as far as I can remember it has never happened in RL confused

Stansgran Wed 22-Feb-17 18:20:15

I don't know about memory loss but I'm still reeling from JaneAinsworth feeding ten people unexpectedly. I'm having DD and DGSsfor end of half term and I've known about all week and I'm dithering. Respect Jane A

tiggypiro Wed 22-Feb-17 18:17:25

I was once told that if you know that you don't know you are fine. It is when you don't know that you don't know you should worry. Perhaps by that time I won't know that I should be worried !!

TriciaF Wed 22-Feb-17 18:03:32

I was upset yesterday, when I realised I had lost a sort of memory , related to playing the piano.
I wrote elsewhere that I was going to get my piano repaired, which was done yesterday. It has been unuseable for a couple of years. But then I found that I'd lost the memory of the notes in the tunes I used to play without thinking. sad
I'm trying to recover it, but it's difficult. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Coolgran65 Wed 22-Feb-17 01:14:28

I did the test. I do lots of cryptic crosswords and quite difficult suduko so approached the test with a quite confident attitude. My result was not reassuring st all - It was below what would be normal for my age.
Now I want another test .....

grandma60 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:16:18

I have also had problems with words since I was in my mid thirty. When I was training staff at work I would sometimes forget the name of a document although I could explain what it was for and what was to be done with it.
I also find I forget names, usually of people I know well like work colleagues but not the names of friends and family.
I did read somewhere that this is just part of the way you are and nothing to do with dementia.
I hope so anyway, I have just posted on another thread about my Mums dementia, so it is often in the back of my mind.

00mam00 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:33:00

I am constantly plagued with word retrieval system malfunction which can make me sound an idiot when asked about something I am presumed to be an expert in. (Or is it on?)

Nelliemoser, I must check to see if there is a thread on dyslexia, I have frequent problems with it, especially knowing left from right!

I joined gin (love spell check) GN yesterday and have yet to find my way around.

M0nica Thu 16-Feb-17 17:13:46

jeanie99 I started forgetting odd words when I was in my mid-30s. 30 years later I am still doing it but show no signs of dementia, so I do not think it is anything to worry about.

My sister has been visiting, she is younger than me and is still working in a demanding job without any strain and has the same problem but worse. I think the loss of words is something entirely separate and has nothing to do with dementia

Nelliemoser Wed 15-Feb-17 17:16:10

I did this test this morning. I soon became a cropper on the "what postion in the list" was this or that word.
That is down to my diagnosed dyslexia. "Poor short term visual" and "working memory."

I am useless at cards and "Kims game" and crosswords. I just thought my handwriting was crap and I was not very bright.

I am sure this will not look good on any further such tests on this site. There seems to be nowhere on the site where I can enter that I am dyslexic so someone could at least note that in regard to my "Assessment".

I still thank to the OU for recognising this might be dyslexia and really "nagging" me that I should take the test.

Luckygirl Wed 15-Feb-17 10:58:49

That's interesting anno - a useful distinction - or at least comforting.

I am sure I have posted this tale in the past, but many years ago I worked on a dementia unit. One lady still had some insight into her problems and was getting very upset about it. I tried to cheer her by saying that her brain was like a box of treasures and she had accumulated so many over her long life that new treasures tended to fall out of the top - she said, with a smile: "Oh that is lovely" - then one minute later she said "What did you say?" sad

annodomini Wed 15-Feb-17 10:39:42

I have lunch with a friend once a week and we often have to fill in words for each other. It's quite comforting to know that others have the same problem - if it is a problem! There are several helpful links on the net about 'benign senescent amnesia' which is what most of the posters here seem to have. These are very reassuring! www.med.or.jp/english/pdf/2001_06/274_278.pdf

MawBroon Wed 15-Feb-17 10:17:27

You could well have a point Anya and my not knowing the name of the park could be that I don't actually yet know or recognise the issue?
Food for thought.

Anya Wed 15-Feb-17 09:18:41

That would say to me MawBroon that you are trying to find a solution or a way around a 'problem' or life-issue, and no matter how hard you try it gets you nowhere and you're left feeling lost and helpless.

MawBroon Wed 15-Feb-17 09:14:15

I know that this is nothing compared to experiencing it in RL but a dream last night left me feeling troubled and confused.
I was trying to meet up with friends in a London park and after parking the car (I know, London!!) somehow I set off round the lake in the middle going the wrong (long) way round. So I thought I would try a "short cut" by going out of the park and along back streets near Victoria Station. Finding myself miles away somewhere near Bond Street I tried to retrace my footsteps but could not by this stage even remember the name of the park. So I couldn't consult a map or even ask for directions.
Awful feeling.

Anya Wed 15-Feb-17 09:06:49

Glad you're back in Nellie

Anya Wed 15-Feb-17 09:06:20

Had a total memory blank at the till yesterday when I couldn't remember my PIN number. Luckily I had enough cash.

Ginny42 Wed 15-Feb-17 08:25:47

I would say my memory loss began when I stopped HRT. I was on that for about 20 years.

Thank you for the link to that very informative article Faye. I'm going to pass that on to friends and start taking B12 too as I don't eat meat.

If I'm writing something like the minutes of a meeting in a Word.doc and I forget a word, I use the Thesaurus in 'Review'. Just type in the word you think is correct, click on Review at the top; highlight the word and click Thesaurus and up will come lists of synonyms for you to choose the most appropriate one.

Nelliemoser Tue 14-Feb-17 23:43:31

I have tried logging on to do this at about 10:30pm and I have now cocked up my initial registration details.
So the site thinks I have already joined and has my email address so all I now get is that this email address is taken. I cannot get it to work at all.

I noted the comments that "dyslexics might find some of this difficult."
This daft old bat has managed to mess it up before she started. This is dyslexia in action (and I can read) It's the other parts of brain wiring that is buggered.

I can see how I would have problems with a number of these questions and I could appear to show signs of cognitive impairment. I have contacted the site to see if they can let me back in.

Faye Tue 14-Feb-17 22:55:30

I have found lacking in vitamin B12 does make a difference to my memory. I spent a week at my DD's late last year and found I was missing words. I also knew I was lacking in vitamin B12 because when I don't take supplements I start falling asleep at around ten in the morning and other symptoms I get are my legs ache. I had previously read that low levels of vitamin B12 can cause cognitive decline. It's not a cure for dementia but older people do need more vitamin B12.
Link for Harvard study - low levels of vitamin B12 can be sneaky and harmful

I won't let myself forget smile to take a multi vitamin B tablet each morning.

Marydoll Tue 14-Feb-17 20:23:30

I actually feel so much better reading these posts. I was known for my fantastic memory at work. My first job was in the accounts dept of the local health service. In those days before computers, everything: invoices, orders, payment receipts were all stored in lever arch files on shelves in a number of vast filing rooms. One day the auditors descended unexpectedly about a possible fraud, where a large sum of public money had been spent, but no-one could produce either an order form or receipt for payment. All the bosses were in to help with the search. I piped up with the question, "Is it the order form and invoice for the medical camera you are looking for?" I got up walked into one of the filing rooms, pulled from hundreds of folders, the file with all the relevant details. I was always storing bits of seemingly irrelevant info in my head.
Roll on to today. I was going to hairdresser's and running late. I got to the car, no car keys. I went back inside and searched the house from top to bottom, no keys. They were in my pocket all the time. I swear I had already checked thereconfused.

After losing my mother's engagement ring six months ago, I again searched everywhere. Last week I found it in the corner of an old purse. Someone must have put it there, It couldn't possibly have been me!wink

Luckygirl Tue 14-Feb-17 20:14:57

I find it depends a lot on concentration. I have just fed 10 people (unexpectedly) as 2 DDs turned up with their children and a hanger-on. They were all hurtling around and I had trouble remembering which cupboard things were in, and what had started cooking etc. - how they all finished up with a roast chicken dinner I do not know!

If I am doing things in peace I do not usually have any trouble - but I always call the 7 GC by the wrong name if they are all there - I do know what their names are but the wrong one just chooses to pop out of my mouth unbidden!

NanKate Tue 14-Feb-17 19:24:53

A month or so back I was really worried about all my memory problems. Going to the wrong cupboard to get a mug, fully knowing a little later which cupboard I should have used. Forgetting words. Chatting with DH then having a memory blank. I mentioned this on GN and so many of you confirmed you had similar problems.

I now take more time when I am doing something so that I don't use the wrong cupboard. I now remember words and names I had difficulty with in the past. I keep a To Do List running and I have relaxed and stopped worrying. I cannot tell you the relief I have, as I fear dementia more than cancer.

janeainsworth Tue 14-Feb-17 18:07:14

Conversation yesterday:

MrA: I don't think I've arranged any breakdown insurance.
Me: I thought you did.
MrA: Oh yes I did, I remember now.
Me: Who is it with?
MrA: I don't know, I can't remember grin
shock
Perfectly normal conversation, imho.
Anyone who is worried about their cognitive function could try this. We have found it quite reassuring smile
www.google.co.uk/search?q=foodforthebrain.org+cognitive+function+test&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Elrel Tue 14-Feb-17 17:56:11

Alie - just what I'd do!