Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Disabled access on transport vs the governments push to get disabled people into the workforce.

(15 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 11:32:42

I have watched the recent submissions to the Supreme Court in regard to a disabled persons access to transport I.e the wheelchair vs buggy dilemma facing bus travellers.

I see this morning that First Bus in light of the ruling have amended one word and added 9 words to their conditions of carriage which basically changes nothing.

www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/02/first-bus-response-to-supreme-court-ruling-treats-disabled-people-with-contempt/#.WKLoLJHfWhA

The report also mentions rail companies agreeing to let disabled passengers know if the disabled access toilets are available on their train.

My problem with all this is at the same time there is a huge government push to get disabled people back into work. Given the challenges that anyone with a disability faces I can see how employers would be reluctant to take on staff they perceive will be subject to the vagaries of transport even just getting to work.

As an example I worked in The Strand in London. A mere 21 miles away door to door. Today there's a 12 mile tail back on the M25 ( always supposing I was up to a 2 hour drive into work starting 3 1/2 hours before I need to be at my desk just to get there.).

The District Line has severe delays . So even if I could use the underground because my arrival and departure points were accessible (out of 270 stations only 24 % are step free) I couldn't get there.

I could go overground but I need to book assistance 24 hours in advance and I didn't know yesterday I would need this option.

There's nothing wrong with my ability to work , it's just my mobility that's compromised not my brain. I had to give up work because of the transport challenges.

I feel like a second class citizen on public transport and rarely have an idea when I will get to my location or more likely 'if' I'll get there.

Is there a solution ....... or am I asking too much ?

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 12:27:02

My husband used to work with a quadriplegic man. One of the issues was evacuating the building during fire practices, and presumably in the event of a real fire.

Procedures were put in place and obstacles overcome. Luckily this particular man didn't weigh too much.

I know he used taxis to get to work, ones that were adapted to fit his wheelchair.

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 12:30:45

Do the underground stations not have lifts NaG?

Rigby46 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:34:38

About a quarter of all tube stations and half of overground stations in London are wheelchair accessible - I think that paints the picture

Rigby46 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:37:34

Plus changes to staffing on Southern trains and many stations means that it will not be possible to access trains for many wheelchair users - I don't think this is everyday ageism btw but everyday disabilism

Rigby46 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:38:49

And f course there is an answer but why should hardworking tax payers money be spent on improving accessibility ?

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 12:43:01

Guide to London Stations disability access

It is somewhat more than 24% according to this guide, but it's shocking that not all have lifts.

Rigby46 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:21:33

Ive checked various sources including tfl and there all say around 25% but either way, it underscores NandGs point. The vast vast majority do not have assess for wheelchairs from street to platform.

NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 13:21:57

The trouble is not only do the majority of underground stations not have lifts ( and I've been turned back because those that do are out of order) but they are not all step free , and even then if it IS step free , you need to book assistance because someone needs to put down a ramp to let you get on the train.

God forbid you need to get off at an unexpected stop.

Happened to me once. The train was cancelled ,stopped at a station which was not accessible , so even if I got off I couldn't get back on a train going the other way. I ended up having to stay on until the yard and get off there. I was so upset I ended up calling DH to come and get me .

Aren't disabled people hard working tax payers Rigby ? I pay for libraries I don't use, schools I don't use , nuclear weapons I hope never to use. Is it really too much in this day and age to expect to be able to use the transport system like everyone else?

And if I can't , why should I be penalised for not working when I can't take a simple trip into my place of work like every other persons expects and does?

Rigby46 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:22:00

access ( sighs)

Rigby46 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:24:34

Oh sorry NandG I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic and my other two posts here should have demonstrated my knowledge of and sympathy for the problem you raised.

NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 13:26:03

I'm sorry Rigby went right over my head smile ....I'm on my high horse, in high dudgeon and looking for a soap box !!

My apologies .

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 15:05:52

How can it go over your head if you're so high up? wink

NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 16:41:38

Must have ducked momentarily Anya

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 22:41:35

smile