Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

anyone else fed up with

(87 Posts)
flaxwoven Sun 26-Feb-17 08:14:31

I'm in my 60's and grew up with inches, feet, yards, miles, pounds and ounces, pints, temperature 98.4, also £, shillings and pence and so on. I still hate grams and litres, and no idea at all about kilometres - I think in miles. When I go to the butcher I ask for a pound of mince and he knows exactly what I mean. Perhaps I'm just refusing to move with the times. Anyone else feel the same?

luluaugust Sun 26-Feb-17 10:41:28

I'm another one who can only visualise size or weight in lbs and oz or inches and feet. I always buy meat in lbs, butcher seems to have no problem with it. Babies weights still seem to be given in lbs or is that because its usually a gran telling me? I asked my dgc if they still came up against inches etc they said no only thought in metric.

whitewave Sun 26-Feb-17 10:44:01

I'm ambidextrous!grin weight is in stones. Travel in miles. Cooking in grams and measurement like height of plants and how far apart to plant in metric.

pollyperkins Sun 26-Feb-17 10:52:12

I too use both having taught science in metric for years. I do very rough conversions in my head:
I know a pound of mince is roughly half a kilo eg 500 g so 250 g is roughly half a pound. Also 2 oz is about 50 g so you can work out roughly how heavy any quantity is for cooking. But still have to think of weights of people iin imperial eg babies or myself!!
. Length is easy i just think of a foot ruler -12 in is about 30 cm. so a yd (3ft) is about 90 cm so a bit shorter than a metre. But like g dostances like km i find harder.
Temp is also easy for me in fact i hardly understand farenheit now. Just remember in celsius (centigrade) O degees is freezing point of water 100 is boiling point and 37 is body temp - much easier than F!!

Worthingpatchworker Sun 26-Feb-17 10:52:51

Quick conversion centigrade to Fahrenheit....double it and add 30.....
One really stupid thing about going so metric is....OUR HOUSES we're built in imperial measurements NOT metric.....boy does that cause problems.
I grew up with £sd, inches, feet, miles, pounds and ounces and stones!!!!! Bring it back.....make Britain British!!!

LadyGracie Sun 26-Feb-17 10:54:21

I'm still an inches and yards girl, I do understand some metric measurements, I'm a prolific knitter so I convert mm's to inches before I start. I still cook in ounces, measure in pints but weather can be in C or F.

Morgana Sun 26-Feb-17 11:03:41

And shoes? What about their sizes? I only know I'm a size 6.

Mamie Sun 26-Feb-17 11:05:09

I happily use the metric system for everything, partly because I taught it for years and now because I live in France. I remember crying over the multiplication and division of imperial weights and measures at school and can't imagine why anyone would want to use them. However when I go shopping I often ask for "une livre" (a pound) and our greengrocer loves it and has a moan about how the young don't understand it anymore. ?

Diddy1 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:10:03

I dont live in the UK so use metric but can still convert some things keeps my mind alert! I do like the 24hour clock system makes life easier than am and pm

Balini Sun 26-Feb-17 11:12:09

GRANNYKNOT, I was also living in SA, in 1965. when they introduced the metric system. As I remember, everyone had six months to learn it. After six months, the imperial system was totally banned. I was in the building trade and for that period you could buy imperial measuring tapes, or an imperial/metric one. Then it was metric, whether you could handle it or not. In fact I think it was a criminal offence, if any businesses used imperial, after the six months. It may have been harsh, but everyone learned. I myself find the metric system, vastly superior, to imperial.

Hollycat Sun 26-Feb-17 11:16:27

Apparently I'm extremely peculiar (perhaps they're right). I find it's much easier to really judge the price of something by turning it into old money, 18/9d is a 'real' price, 93p sounds much cheaper and might lure me into thinking I have a bargain, when I haven't. 30p to use a loo at Liverpool Street station sounds trifling until you consider it is actually 6/- which is exorbitant, especially when you see just how many people queue to use it. Their profit margin is astounding. And yes, I've read this back and they're right, I AM peculiar, but "new" money still feels foreign to me.

Cherrytree59 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:40:46

I was taught both at school
I too visualise in feet inches and yards.
I can only think in stones and ounces
Kilo means nothing to me on the bathroom scales

I follow recipe in whatever measurement its in.

In the Supermarket/ butchers etc I use a bag of sugar (in my head) If I need to work out pounds to kilos or
vis versa as I know 1 kilo = 2.2 pounds

Temperature don't mind either way F or C.

I also have a DH on hand to translate!

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Feb-17 11:42:12

I am definately metric for weights and measures. Trying to do any calculations in Yards feet and inches and pounds and ounces is just far more difficult.

When I bought myself a set of balance scales a few years ago I chose metric. I also travel in miles though.
It really is so much easier but you just have to keep using it.

Anniebach Sun 26-Feb-17 11:46:35

Thank you Jalima, I manage by measuring up then ringing up my son in law and he converts my measurements, never had cause to ask him about metres though ?

ValC Sun 26-Feb-17 12:01:28

I stick with the old measurements too. All my recipe books are old and show lbs and ozs, my scales can weight in both which is lucky, and I have a conversion app on my phone in case I am in a shop and want to convert anything.

FarNorth Sun 26-Feb-17 12:03:09

If you find the 24 hour clock confusing, just think of it as shillings and pence e.g. 19.00 = 19d = 1/7, so it's 7 o'clock.

tigger Sun 26-Feb-17 12:13:44

Would you believe they are still teaching imperial and metric measurements!

Chewbacca Sun 26-Feb-17 12:16:20

Thank goodness it's not just me that struggles with metric. I've really, really tried to get my head around it and can manage the kilograms for baking, but centimetres and millimetres just stump me. I work with a mainly young workforce (late teens and 20s) and I've tried to explain to them how the old currency worked ie 240 pennies to £. They fall about laughing! The concept of farthings and halfpenny is so ridiculous to them that they thought I was making it up! My favourite memory is being given a brown 10 shilling note for a birthday. It felt as though you'd been given millions!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 26-Feb-17 12:42:46

Flaxwoven.A big yes from me.
I am a coward and although having been told I don't look ??my age, never the less this inadequacy I have of not being able to take on board the metric system , makes me feel an antique in todays world where everything is seen to be amazing. fabulous. awesome etc
I frequently apologise to those who I have to ask ' would you mind putting that in English'?
In my larder hangs a large poster converting just about everything. I would never make a cake or measure anything if it were not for that poster.
I flounder when shopping as all labels are in metric.
'Can I have a 8ozs of sliced ham ?'leaves the young woman on the deli counter looking at me like I came from another planet.
Joining the common market /EU was responsible so I have to be content that at least we were allowed to keep our currency.

Suzisue Sun 26-Feb-17 12:43:18

Grannyknot, lbs is derived from Latin - Libra and ozs is derived from Italian ponza. Yes I find it hard still.
Many years ago I asked for two yards of material and the assistant said 'we only measure in metric'. I asked him for the equivalent as hadn't got the pattern with me. I then said 'what width is the roll' and he said it was 45 inches. Now that's what I call bonkers!

quizqueen Sun 26-Feb-17 13:17:23

Hopefully, when we leave the EU, our country can make its own decisions and go back to imperial measures where possible. No one I know, including younger people, tells me their height or weight in metric or describes distances in kilometres so it's always been a mixture of measures. I know that 30cm equals one foot so then I can convert lengths in my head but have never been interested enough to learn to convert weights or liquid quantities.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Feb-17 13:51:05

I too still use imperial for all measurements but I do use centigrade not Fahrenheit confortably now and I m fine with money in decimal I have tried very hard to measur in metric but it means nothing to me I don't even know my own height or weight

I don't think the dreadful Brexit will make any difference as probably nowhere else uses imperial so I doubt we will change again

keriku Sun 26-Feb-17 13:54:44

When decimal money came in I used to go shopping with my granny and translate it back into old money. If I said 7p was 1 and 4pence for a wee tin of peas, she would refuse to pay as she believed all prices were increased at decimalisation! She would do without rather than pay a price she disapproved of!

SueDoku Sun 26-Feb-17 14:03:23

When we went from Farenheit to Celsius in weather forecasts, there was a competition to find an easy mneomonic so that people knew what the forecasters were talking about.
I've always been grateful to the person who wrote:
5 and 10 and 21
Winter, Spring and Summer sun
It's been invaluable to me over the years... grin

Lewlew Sun 26-Feb-17 14:23:05

SueDoku , I like that! grin

Moving from the US I had to get used to a lot of things, not just metric. Suddenly I weighed a lot less using stones... but it took a while.

My feet are smaller! US women's shoes are two sizes larger, mens only one size larger. Thankfully most shoes now have 3 measures on the bottom or inside or on the box, US, UK and Euro. smile

But it's the dress, tops and trouser sizes that annoy me. I am a 12 in the US and a bloody 16 here! Ack!!! hmm

Rigby46 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:53:55

Go back to imperial after leaving the EU? confused