Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

making life easier

(30 Posts)
Robertanthony Wed 09-May-18 20:39:52

I have just done my ironing sitting down and found it to be a lot less stressful and much easier on the legs. think this might apply to any age group as well

BlueBelle Wed 09-May-18 20:45:17

What’s ironing ?

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 21:08:20

I'll suggest it to DH.

Jane10 Wed 09-May-18 21:45:17

BlueBelle grin

SueDonim Wed 09-May-18 21:59:45

On the rare occasion I iron, I prefer to use an ironing board as I find my legs get rather red from the hot iron.

Pittcity Wed 09-May-18 22:07:11

?SueDonim

ninathenana Thu 10-May-18 07:44:29

I only iron the items that I think need doing but I've always done it sitting down.

DanniRae Thu 10-May-18 08:29:50

I hate ironing standing up or sitting down so tend to do as little as possible. The ironing board has been up in my bedroom for ages waiting for me to use it - but no ironing done yet! hmm

Panache Thu 10-May-18 08:43:53

Learned the art of neatly folding many of the articles... once neatly ironed........ now saves that job...........whilst if one can find an easier way to do any of the mundane chores then by all means go for it!!!
We live and learn with age!!!

Teetime Thu 10-May-18 09:10:15

Years ago when I had a slipped disc I couldn't stand up to iron so DH took over - I haven't told him its better yet. grin

kittylester Thu 10-May-18 09:25:25

Teetime!! grin

I couldn't bear to iron sitting down - I tried it and it was really odd.

annodomini Thu 10-May-18 09:50:54

I loathe the thought of ironing but once I can persuade myself to start, I take a pride in getting it right. Duvet covers are a bugbear but I get round it by only ironing the side that shows. I have a folding ironing stool which is, allegedly adjustable but that process is so complicated that I prefer to adjust the height of the ironing board.

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-May-18 10:29:09

My ironing used to take a full couple of hours a week - I used to do it (sitting down, as it happens) in front of the Eastenders omnibus on a Sunday, when it was worth watching! Now it takes me literally no time at all and DH about five minutes a fortnight for the occasional shirt. ?

Fennel Thu 10-May-18 14:42:02

I enjoy ironing, usually Sunday late afternoon listening to David Freeman on Jazz FM.
www.jazzfm.com/music/?date=2018-04-29&hour=17
I have a cordless iron which makes it easier.

GillT57 Thu 10-May-18 15:20:08

I do very little ironing, but admittedly, with no work shirts for either of us, and no school uniform it is a bit easier. My tip is to give everything a short blast in the tumble drier before putting it on the airer or on the line to dry. Not only does it make towels softer, it really cuts the amount of ironing down. I figure that the cost of 10 minutes tumbling is less than 30 minutes ironing!

travelsafar Thu 10-May-18 18:24:00

I must be weird 'cos i like to iron.

I love to see everything crisp and smooth hanging on hangers or folded nicely in the airing cupboard.

There is only the two of us so i dont have lots of it but i listen to the radio usually Woman's Hour on Radio 4 and have a cuppa to hand.

Even when i had sciatica really badly i did it, but used a stool for comfort as i just couldnt stand.

johnsam Fri 01-Feb-19 11:31:45

I so much love ironing sitting down.

henetha Fri 01-Feb-19 11:53:11

I do it (as rarely as posible) on the kitchen worktop.

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 12:06:00

My mum loved ironing, she always did mine when she visited, she said it was because it was so much easier with an electric iron than it was with the iron heated on the fire she used when young. I do miss her. I hate it. I don't do it that well, my DS started ironing his own shirts when he was about 16 because he did it so much better. Funny how things skip a generation

Carolina55 Fri 01-Feb-19 12:31:37

I love ironing too, I think it’s because I see it as the end of the laundry cycle after putting it in the washing machine, pegging it on the line. There’s nothing more satisfying than a freshly ironed pile ready for putting away (apart from a row of cooling lemon curd jars awaiting labels)!

However I seem to do less now that I’m retired as I pick my laundry days according to whether there’s a breeze and get everything out immediately machine stops spinning which means even bedding rarely needs it. Perhaps I’m not as fussy as I once was.....

Gonegirl Fri 01-Feb-19 12:45:12

Been doing the little bit I do sitting down for years. Too knackering standing up.

shysal Fri 01-Feb-19 13:05:18

The only things I iron these days are my starched sheets. When I had a husband and young family I would spend a few hours sitting ironing on a Sunday morning while they all had a lie-in. I then discovered that if you fold everything neatly and smooth out any creases on most items (and sometimes even sit on them!) they are fine. The last straw was when now-ex DH thanked me sarcastically for being generous in giving him two creases down the front of a trouser leg. From that day he did his own ironing!

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 13:11:15

Carolina I do so love hanging the washing out when the weather is good.

I am happy to do the ironing and often do it listening to music. I couldn't bob about the way I do if I was sitting down, not so much fun.

These days there is very little need to do ironing if you hate it. So many things don't really need it.

silverlining48 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:30:27

Although I don’t dislike ironing I do very little apart from occasional shirts or linen dresses in summer. I don’t have a tumble dryer.
I make sure I get wet washing out of the machine quickly, give it a good shake out, hang it up straight, seam to seam and when dry fold and smooth and never leave in a bundle in the laundry basket.

Friends yesterday were saying they still iron everything. I was surprised but horses for courses.

merlotgran Fri 01-Feb-19 13:40:12

I have never thought to iron sitting down. A friend of mine also sits at the kitchen table to peel veg.

I must like standing up. grin