Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

I have just been put on a vulnerability register

(52 Posts)
M0nica Mon 30-Jul-18 15:49:23

Why? Because I am over 60. No other reason. It was done by my electricity supplier, EDF. It is their policy

Do not get me wrong, I am all in favour of vulnerability registers and would undoubtedly ask to be put on one had I had any problem that made this advisable.

But the everyday ageism is the automatic assumption that if you are over 60 you are vulnerable. When you consider that retirement age is 67, that many men and women are doing quite physically demanding jobs for a decade or more over 60, to classify everyone over an age as low as 60 as vulnerable is lazy and offensive.

morethan2 Tue 22-Jan-19 18:29:48

I was amused to be given an extra brightly coloured wristband when I was admitted to hospital last October. When I queried why I was told it was hospital protocol for over 65. The lovely nurse then told me she had to ask some sensitive questions. Could I raise from sitting, go to the toilet, get out of a bath that kind of thing. I wasn’t annoyed but did say they should change their policy because our generation are mostly fit, robust, healthy and still working. I suppose a line needs to drawn for the age people might become vulnerable. I just don’t like to think I’ve crossed that line just yetsad

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 17:46:01

*I too, not O too.

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 17:43:29

Oh I take advantage of my age...within reason.
O too am on a 'vulnerable persons' register with Thames Water, BGE SSE and Brilliant Energy.
A few months ago there was a major leak a few miles away that affected my water supply.
TW sent out a van to all on their V list and gave me 24 huge bottles of water which they stowed in my utility room.
They also sent a man out to fit my new shower head and tap filters.
I'm grateful that we are catered for in this way. We can't grumble at all.

M0nica Mon 07-Jan-19 21:19:54

As they should have phoenix.

phoenix Mon 07-Jan-19 20:42:57

My electricity supplier had put me on their "vulnerable" register before I was even 60 shock but that was because one of the meds for my copd should be kept refrigerated.

M0nica Mon 07-Jan-19 20:07:22

having started this thread I need to report that we were without gas for 5 days in early December, no heating, no hot water and no gas hob.

We were more than capable of coping with it. The occupiers of all 10 houses involved were offered heaters and electric hobs, no matter what our ages and we declined both. We have a wood stove in a large central brick fireplace, the joy of really old houses and the stack soon heated up and the stove kept the whole house warm and with an oven, slow cooker, microwave and electric cooker, we needed no help with cooking and we visited the local sports centre regularly for showers and hairwashes.

Franbern, in your situation I too would make sure I was on the relevant register, I think anyone of any age who has health or welfare problems should be on this register. But age alone should not be a reason to be on it, you should need to have a reason to be on it.

I am, however off it now. I was told it was a mistake and people over 60 were not automatically put on it.

Franbern Mon 07-Jan-19 12:36:37

Last summer, there was a local mains water pipe which seemed to have a burst every few weeks. I seemed to be on the side of it before that, as I did not have any water shortage, but my daughter, less than a mile from me, was without water for a couple of days each time.
I was surprised when a ring at my bell was from a lady from the Water Board, with six large bottles of water. Evidently it was because I was on their 'Risk' register, which I actually asked to be some years ago. As I am an ostomist, I do need to be able flush toilets pretty regularly, etc. I told her that I had not had any water-outs, but really appreciated their care. She told me that any time there was problems with my water supply I should contact them and they considered me a priority to have water. I am very grateful for this.

BlueSky Sun 16-Dec-18 10:26:35

Just taken aback really not upset as yes we are a certain age even if we don't feel it or even believed it. When I see somebody's famous age I think: "Is she that old?" Then I realise that's my age too! confused

Lynne59 Fri 14-Dec-18 22:11:24

Lazy and offensive?! By being on the register, it will ensure that you will be a priority, should anything go wrong with your supply. Be glad. Be reassured.

Too many people are offended by too many things these days.

BlueSky Fri 14-Dec-18 20:05:15

I was sent to see a very nice lady consultant at the local hospital as I've recently had a string of ailments. Was given a good check up and pronounced healthy. Quite happy with the service but rather taken aback when found out it was part of the 'Frailty Scheme'. Just because I'm over 60? Unfortunate name.

lemongrove Fri 26-Oct-18 11:54:01

I agree maggiemaybe if it means better and kinder service, I don’t mind being classed as vulnerable at all.
Don’t fight it Monica give in gracefully grin

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 11:51:11

We use a local firm of central heating and plumbers, who just walk round and fix any problems when we ring them. So much quicker and more efficient than signing up with any of the big national companies.

We had a plumbing leak last week. A man came round within 10 minutes to look at it, realised it was a minor problem, fixed it on the spot and was gone within another 10 minutes.

We also have a long thin house with the bathroom/kitchen one end and bathroom/cloakroom/utility room the other, so it was more efficient to have 2 smaller boilers installed, one each end. The chances both will breakdown at the same time is remote, plus we have a wood-burning stove and a gas cooker.

sarahcyn Fri 26-Oct-18 10:49:54

Luzdoh, should one ask...why was your phone inside the kitchen cupboards?

sarahcyn Fri 26-Oct-18 10:48:14

Dear me, this means the Prime Minister should be on the vulnerability register. (Well maybe not such a bad idea.)
As for the Leader of the Opposition...
The Chancellor of Germany...
The D-G of the BBC...
Not to mention David Dimbleby...
Tina Turner...
Bruce Springsteen...
Helen Mirren...
All so terribly, terribly VULNERABLE!!!

Maggiemaybe Sat 25-Aug-18 09:07:35

Although I don’t feel vulnerable at the moment, I’d take the opportunity of being added to the list after reading Marydoll’s post about her boiler breakdown in that miserable winter.

Dragging our cases through a particularly bewildering and heaving airport earlier this year, trying to decipher direction signs and instructions, we were happy to see a designated check in and security area for “vulnerable passengers”, including the over 60s. There aren’t many advantages to getting older, and sometimes it’s only sensible to grab them when they’re offered.

GrandmaKT Fri 24-Aug-18 23:35:39

Ha ha, good for you MOnica. I would be outraged to be automatically put on a vulnerability register too, so really glad you complained and got an explanation.

M0nica Fri 24-Aug-18 22:04:54

Oh, yes, what I didn't tell them is that I am actually 75.

M0nica Fri 24-Aug-18 22:04:22

An update

I complained to EDF about this arbitrary and enforced classification of people over 60 as vulnerable. They rang me back to apologise for an over-zealous customer advisor.

The CA's are encouraged to ask those phoning in whether they are over 60 and if so offer them the opportunity of going onto the vulnerability register, but the mistake my CA made was thinking it was compulsory, it isn't, so DH and I are no longer on it.

Should we reach the stage where it would help us, I will sign up like a shot, but currently, we are both fit and well and active and cannot justify asking for any special treatment.

Auntieflo Fri 24-Aug-18 08:24:35

I didn't realise till recently, that you are given a wrist band in hospital saying 'At risk of falls'. I have never fallen, yet, and when asked, was told it was because of my age. I know that chronologically I am 76, but really I am only 45 smile

DoraMarr Thu 23-Aug-18 21:43:39

I had a phone call. “Hello Dora, , it’s Jenny- how are you?” I know a few people called Jenny and couldn’t place the voice, so I replied that I was fine. “And how are you managing to get up and down stairs?” continued the caller. I replied that I was fine, and asked who they were.
It wasStannah stairlifts, and it was a week before my 55th birthday.

luzdoh Thu 23-Aug-18 21:30:30

Me too. I am getting some help from some people at church to move furniture so that my floor can be mended.

The man-in-charge called, now he ain't no spring chicken either, and said, "I need to have your daughter's phone number because as you are a vulnerable person, I have to make sure your family know we are coming!!

Actually I feel vulnerable when my children come here, but that's another topic.

Next - agism - is this the right place?
My little 7 yr old neighbour has guinea-pigs. I adore guinea pigs. A few days ago, a very loud guinea-pig speaking noise was coming apparently from under my kitchen sink cupboards. I made the dogs go out of the room and got down on my stomach on the floor - very awkward as I am disabled - and squeaked back and called and looked....
Then I remembered. I changed my mobile's ring-tone. I changed my ring-tone to that of a guinea-pig squeaking.

trisher Tue 31-Jul-18 10:14:56

I agree it's strange that you can be on a vulnerability register at 60 but have to keep working to 67. But what really concerns me is the number of people who must be on the register and how this will grow in years to come. Eventually the number must become unmanageable. Will they then scrap the whole idea and use the excuse it was unmanageable?

Marydoll Tue 31-Jul-18 09:54:47

If it makes life easier and less stressful, I'm all for it.☺️.

Jane10 Tue 31-Jul-18 09:46:57

PS Ageism? Bothered? Nope!

Jane10 Tue 31-Jul-18 09:45:46

Scottish Power were the same. I was with them before changing to EDF