Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Gransnetters, I could do with a bit of your lovely Humour.

(35 Posts)
1974cookie Sat 08-Sep-18 18:57:21

I know that this is going to sound completely and utterly stupid, but please bear with me.
My oven died on me a couple of days ago after nearly 20 years, so I have been out looking for a replacement.
As I was looking at replacements, a thought came into my mind that it would see me out.
I have now reached the age when I finally see something as 'seeing me out'.
It seems just yesterday when such thoughts never even crossed my mind, and now, well, reality sets in and buying an oven has brought it to the fore.
Cheer me Up Gransnetters, as only you can do.

merlotgran Sat 08-Sep-18 19:04:37

Put thoughts like that firmly on the back burner.

aggie Sat 08-Sep-18 19:13:19

MIL was of that turn of mind , she wouldn't buy a new coat because she wouldn't wear it out lol , she lived another 20 years to 93

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Sep-18 19:23:08

I’ve been saying “It’ll see me out” for the last ten years - except now I mean it a bit more. It’s an excellent excuse to spend money. After all, it needs to be bought now in order to see me out - and if it wears out in the meantime so much the better. I feel I’ve won. (I’m told I have apparently inherited an illogical way of thinking which makes perfect sense to me)

Anyway, if the last oven lasted 20 years and this new one has to see you out, that means you’ve got 20 years minimum. That’s ages and ages!

Alima Sat 08-Sep-18 19:41:40

Don’t worry, it’s perfectly natural! Over seven years ago some poor soul was trying to sell us the benefits of solar panels. We put him right straightaway by explaining we would not live long enough to make panels worthwhile. Shut him up.
(I honestly think you would be very lucky to buy an oven nowadays which will last for 20 years. Not unless you never use it anyway so you may yet need another one!)

M0nica Sat 08-Sep-18 19:58:38

That thought never has and never will ever occur to me over anything.

I bought a new cooker three years ago and I have no intention of it lasting long enough to see me out. I really dislike it.

Parsley3 Sat 08-Sep-18 20:45:18

“That will see me out.”
This is a running joke among my family and friends and it makes us hoot with laughter. Buy your oven and enjoy. As Dumpling says, it is an excellent excuse to spend money.

grumppa Sat 08-Sep-18 20:50:51

Built-in obsolescence and the cost of repairs will see to it that the odds are heavily stacked in your favour.

OldMeg Sat 08-Sep-18 21:02:22

My electrician has just installed an exterior socket to charge my robot lawnmower. He informs me it was a very good make with a 20 year guarantee!

My exact words to him ‘that’ll see us out!’

POGS Sat 08-Sep-18 21:16:47

1974 cookie

The good news is if it does ' see you out ' at least you had good value for your money smile

Melanieeastanglia Sat 08-Sep-18 21:18:43

I remember suggesting to my late grandmother that she might like a new summer dress for her birthday in March. She declined because she said she might be dead by the Summer.

We often laugh about her saying that. Actually, I think she laughed a bit when we pointed out that you can't keep anticipating your own death.

Grandma lived another year or two.

janeainsworth Sat 08-Sep-18 21:46:20

cookie just concentrate on enjoying your new cooker.
I have just had a new one too - a Neff.
It’s marvellous. It’s fantastic.
It cooks things evenly and things are cooked at the time they’re supposed to be cooked at, not burnt 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, or still soggy 10 minutes after they’re supposed to be cooked.
It’s renewed my interest and enjoyment in cooking.
Did I say I love my new cooker?
Enjoy yours and don’t dwell on the future smile

HildaW Sat 08-Sep-18 22:04:18

Can remember having similar conversation with my darling Grandma......she had these dreadful old pre-war arm chairs that she had made covers for every few years. Eventually she fancied a modern 'dralon' suite and asked my opinion as to whether it was a silly extravagance. Spend your money Grandma....she did....and she too lived another 20 years. It was a little sad really she was marvellous but almost spent the last 20 or so years thinking she was going to either die or go 'ga-ga'. She was sharp as a tack and pretty fit right to the end....so buy that new oven, treat yourself to the best you can afford and get a new cook book with new ideas and have fun!!

Rufus2 Sun 09-Sep-18 05:15:32

I have now reached the age when I finally see something as 'seeing me out'.
Hilda; Banish such thoughts! My dear Vera's philosophy was "Spend, Spend, Spend" which is why she found that flying back to England to continue her family genealogy project was done more comfortably in "Business Class". My philosophy has always been "Save, Save Save" which is why I'm a "rich widower" (and a miserly "old git" according to our 2 sons), but too old to go anywhere to spend up, other than the doctor's, chemist and our over 80's club. sad
There is a smart answer I read recently for all those comments about how "you can't take it with you", but I can't remember. My family will soon get rid of it on world cruises I suppose. Such was life,!

Rufus2 Sun 09-Sep-18 05:37:35

Oops, Now who's going Ga-Ga? confused Apologies, Hilda and 1974cookie for getting you mixed up, although I hope you'll both empathise with my comments.
Fortunately you are all still in the land of nod whilst I post this correction; now it's time for lunch and something to steady my nerves. grin

Billybob4491 Sun 09-Sep-18 06:25:12

I have just had a watch battery replacement. the assistant looked at my elderly face and said "this will last you a lifetime" we then both smiled at each other.

absent Sun 09-Sep-18 07:08:20

If you want to buy something new and you can afford to – whether it is a new oven, a new coat or a painting that you just love – buy it. If you die tomorrow, you have had the pleasure of today's purchase. Of course, as we get older we know that our remaining time is getting shorter. So what? We can't change that, so why worry about it? Enjoy today, enjoy our grandchildren, enjoy what we have while we have it.

Missfoodlove Sun 09-Sep-18 09:11:52

I once purchased a huge sack of dog food for our elderly Labrador , as my husband hauled it out of the car for me he said “ you’re optimistic”
He did manage to finish it all but only just!

MillieBear Sun 09-Sep-18 09:15:34

Any time I bought things for my father I would say "I've kept the receipt.....you never know at your age", and end the sentence with a wink and a grin.

Alima Sun 09-Sep-18 09:24:18

.......besides which, the number of old people, particularly men, who have the latest car every year is huge. Cost a darn sight more than an oven to buy!

Charleygirl Sun 09-Sep-18 09:42:34

Billybob I would be careful because mine only lasts a year!

henetha Sun 09-Sep-18 10:23:39

yes, 1974cookie, I think this way too. But there's a very good chance that it might be the new oven which keels over first, not you! You deserve this new oven, absolutely no doubt about it. And anything else you want, so go ahead.
Live for the moment.

felice Sun 09-Sep-18 10:35:40

I am due to recieve an inheritance from my late Mother the first thing I am buying is a new sofa.
On telling my SO and 2 dear friends they all commented that as Second-hand is an "in"thing here I should look there first.
I made it very clear I was having a new sofa finishing with "if it kills me".
Maybye not the right choice of words ???¨hmm

Billybob4491 Sun 09-Sep-18 16:40:49

Charleygirl, which makes me wonder now, will I outlast the watch! (tongue in cheek)

MrsEggy Sun 09-Sep-18 17:06:08

Alima we invested in solar panels 7 years ago - they have now paid for themselves, and anything in the future is pure profit!