Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

accepting I'm ageing

(63 Posts)
Fennel Mon 12-Nov-18 23:01:31

Feeling very upset tonight. After having a few falls and getting over them, I fell again this pm in the street. It was dark but I had a torch and thought I would be OK.
TG I didn't do much physical harm apart from my right knee.
But I take it as a sign I have to stop going out in the dark.
I want to keep my independence!

BlueSky Wed 19-Dec-18 11:49:32

Fennel last year I had a couple of falls while being out walking on the pavement in day light. Din't feel lightheaded or anything. I started feeling uneasy about being out and about. I did change my footwear to sturdy boots in the winter and comfy well strapped up sandals in the summer and (touch wood) I haven't had any more falls. But yes as others have suggested would make sense to contact your GP for advice.

Billybob4491 Fri 30-Nov-18 06:47:34

Fingers crossed for you Fennel, once my husbands confidence returned he was raring to go. Considering every time he had a fall he broke a bone he is doing well. Good luck please post as to how you are getting on. I know this may sound obvious but remove any rugs in the house and make sure your slippers are well fitting.

dahlia Thu 29-Nov-18 19:51:45

Fennel, I was just going to add my voice to the previous recommendations to go to see your GP. Every area has a Falls Clinic (though those classes run by Age Concern sound very sociable!), and your GP will check that everything is fine physically before referring you on for help. I do hope you find your confidence again - you sound determined!
Good luck!

Fennel Thu 29-Nov-18 19:11:51

Thanks Billybob - I made an appt. with the Dr. today for an assessment.

Billybob4491 Thu 29-Nov-18 17:08:13

Fennel - my husband was given a rollator by Social Services, as he has a history of falls and the Physio did not think a stick would be appropriate for him. The GP recommended him initially, he now walks with confidence both in and outdoors. I do hope you pursue it as I am sure it will be of great benefit to you.

Fennel Tue 27-Nov-18 17:56:12

Up to now, TG I've been ok with the stick, but still very tense and anxious when out walking.
I had a chat with a friend this pm and she uses a walking aid which consists of a frame with 3 wheels, handles, and a shopping bag attached. You have to go to your doctor or health centre and ask for a home assessment. Then they suggest a suitable walking aid. Provided by the NHS.
Has anyone ever done this?

Fennel Fri 16-Nov-18 09:13:37

Thanks again everyone. For some reason the pain in my knee suddenly got better (fingers crossed. ) I'm still using an elastic bandage.
Maybe it was a small piece of bone or cartilage that was dislodged and went back into place?
I bought a walking stick yesterday. I'm only going to use it in risky places.

Day6 Thu 15-Nov-18 23:08:10

I hope your knee is OK after the fall Fennel.

My mother, who used to walk to the shops every day in her 70s tripped and fell whilst out shopping. The cause was an uneven paving stone but all the same, I got a call whilst at work to tell me she had been taken to A&E. She was 79 when it happened.

She did lose her confidence then and didn't go out on her own much after that..

I do hope you can find ways to remain independent and enjoy the outdoors Fennel. Ageing is a bugger but well done you for wanting to keep active for as long as you possibly can.

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 22:44:03

Good luck at the GP Fennel Hope you get some positive advice.

Fennel Wed 14-Nov-18 12:00:48

The main reason for my falls seems to be to do with my left foot/leg. I need to learn to pick that foot up off the ground with each step. Not exactly hopping, but similar.
I have an appt with the GP next week (something else) and will ask advice.

ClareAB Tue 13-Nov-18 19:41:40

Have you thought about why you have been prone to falling? Do you need your eyesight checked? Are you having dizzy spells? Would a walking aid help with stability? It's worth looking at reasons why, and ways to remedy the situation if possible. Keeping yourself indoors after dark has got to be the last resort smile

Phoebes Tue 13-Nov-18 19:26:06

Fennel: I’m so sorry about your fall. It’s really upsetting, isn’t it? I have had several falls myself and eventually had a knee replacement as a result of cumulative bashes on my knee. I am extremely careful wherever I go and try not to rush. I don’t use a stick, because I am always carrying stuff and haven't got a spare hand but I do hang on to my husband if I am with him. Have you had a look to see if there are any Age Concern classes in your area? There are two different ones in our village and they are designed to help with flexibility and balance. They are subsidised - one costs £2.50 for 45 minutes and the other one is £4 for an hour. Everyone who goes is getting on a bit. I should say that some are well into their 80s and everyone copes fine. The £4 class is mainly sitting down with some standing balance exercises and the other is a bit more strenuous. I can certainly feel the benefit and feel much more confident with my balance. Going to the classes gives you ideas of exercises you can do at home and you meet new people too. Why not have a look on the AgeConcern website and see if there any in your area?

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Nov-18 19:17:43

I’ve found I’m tripping less since I had my second knee replacement. I think its because I’m able to pick my feet up better. But I still take a hike stick with me when walking on rough ground. I too feel more secure with a third leg.

NanKate Tue 13-Nov-18 19:08:01

The stick is like having a third leg which stops me falling over. I only use it when I go for a walk. Around the town I feel pretty steady and look carefully whenever I cross the road.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 17:59:00

It definitely helps with balance - no question. Since breaking my foot, I think the brain to foot messages have got a bit scrambled.

And for me it helps relieve pain, as I can take weight off the bad foot.

newnanny Tue 13-Nov-18 17:40:43

Do you have a friend close by who you could walk with? Other than that a stick seems sensible or even a walker when it is dark. Hope you feel better soon. I don't go out at all when it is slippery or snowy. My dh walks the dogs on his own.

Fennel Tue 13-Nov-18 17:27:42

EllanV I'm turned 82 never mind 70. I'm a stubborn old woman!
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how does a stick prevent you from falling? Do you lean on it if you stumble?
Does it give you a better sense of balance?
* R rose* breaking teeth- that must have ben a nightmare. I think I need to lift my left foot more.

Ramblingrose22 Tue 13-Nov-18 17:18:13

Fennel - I tripped int the street 9 years ago and I had tripped twice in the weeks before that.

The reason may have been because the boots I was wearig had not been laced up tightly enough so they "dropped" lower than the sole of my foot and caught an uneven paving slab.

On the last occasion I fell so fast that my face impacted the ground and I had to have root canals for 3 front teeth because the teeth were knocked out of place - horrendous!

I also had a gait analysis as I was worried that I wasn't lifting my feet properly when I walked.

Hope this helps.

annodomini Tue 13-Nov-18 17:17:49

I have an adjustable Craghoppers stick with a proper handle. Since my fall last year when I broke my shoulder and bruised everything else on the left side, I've been under orders from my sons to watch where I put my feet which is good advice in view of the disgraceful state of the pavements around here.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 16:36:34

I have a natty stick rather than an NHS-looking one. Google flexi-foot. They have a suspension system in the ferrule so even going up or down hill the flat of the rubber is on the ground.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 16:34:59

I do not regard using a stick as giving in or "being beaten." It simply makes sense.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 16:33:47

I always use a stick out of doors day or night; partly because I have a very painful foot following breakages, but also just to make sure I do not fall again. I take steps and kerbs with great care and total concentration.

Honestly, once you've had a couple of breakages it really brings home to you the massive impact it can have on your life. Using a stick is a mere nothing compared with that.

One of the rules that I made for myself when starting life with a stick was that I would hold my head up and keep a straight back at all times.

MadFerretLady Tue 13-Nov-18 16:28:49

Varifocals!!! Not a rico

MadFerretLady Tue 13-Nov-18 16:27:45

I had a period of keeping falling, and discovered a Rico also to be the cause as they distort the ground.... Oe the perception anyway. I changed to single lens glasses and no more falls!

EllanVannin Tue 13-Nov-18 16:07:31

It's tough but keep telling yourself that you won't be beaten even turned 70. If you're a determined character and one who is always on the lookout to avoid obstacles that could prove a disaster such as uneven pavements,wet leaves etc, just go easy on these areas then carry on as before.
I realise that a fall leaves you shaken along with lost confidence to say nothing of any injuries which you might incur but providing such injuries aren't major the idea is not to be beaten and just walk short distances to get your " sea-legs " back. It's surprising how that fear goes in a short time. We need to walk.
Parks are a good start to get back to walking as there are usually seats dotted around.
I don't venture out in the dark though.Plenty of time going out in the daytime if I so wish,or have to. Except when it's icy !