Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Older couples holding hands

(84 Posts)
Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 21:51:21

I was reading a report about a couple in their 80s being rescued after a car accident. They were holding hands.
We live in a busy NE town and often see older couples walking round holding hands. Or arms. We don't see the younger ones doing the same.
I think it's lovely, even though perhaps it's to give support on the uneven pavements here. We've started to do the same, grateful to have eachother.

Breda Sat 22-Dec-18 18:00:43

If we are not holding hands it’s because I have hold of my husband’s arm. I find it unthinkable that I would walk beside him without holding his arm or hand.

Happysexagenarian Fri 21-Dec-18 00:19:36

DH and I always hold hands, been doing it for 40 years and never want to stop. The warmth of his hand in mine is the most wonderful feeling. We also like to snuggle up on the sofa in the evenings, though these days I have competition from the dog!!

MagicWriter2016 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:46:02

We always hold hands, especially in busy places. It helps with my anxiety and balance. I feel comfortable and safe holding hubbies hand and we often seek out each other’s hands when sitting watching tv or lying in bed.

Keep on holding hands for as long as you can as the day may come when you can’t do it anymore ?

varian Thu 20-Dec-18 09:13:41

The couple in the OP'story had just had a car accident. It is at times like that handholding is most needed.

Once on my way back from holiday I saw my neighbours walking down the lane holding hands, something I'd never seen them do in all the years we'd known them. I later discovered they'd been on their way to console a friend who had suffered a terrible tragedy.

When we heard what had happened to him we also visited him. I hugged him and he wouldn't let go. The hug went on for a very long time. He so needed physical contact at that dreadful time.

BlueSky Thu 20-Dec-18 08:51:50

BlueSapphire I can imagine.Sadly we know that it's going to happen and one or other will be left to cope alone...flowers

BlueSapphire Thu 20-Dec-18 08:26:10

DH and I always held hands. I do miss it and him dreadfully. Was thinking that as I sat in the cinema on my own yesterday watching a film he would have loved.

Allykat1946 Wed 19-Dec-18 23:44:43

My husband and I are in our seventies and we have always held hands etc....

codfather Wed 19-Dec-18 23:39:40

Every man should hold his wife's hand when out walking! Stops her nipping off into a shop and spending money! wink

chrissyh Wed 19-Dec-18 23:20:20

We're in our 70s, have been together for over 50 years and always hold hands. Not only when we're out but when we sit together. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Flowerofthewest Wed 19-Dec-18 23:13:17

We hold hands. After 35 years and I lI've to. We also snuggle on sofa in the evenings. 70 and 78 ...still in love.

Granless Wed 19-Dec-18 23:03:02

My hubbie and I always hold hands - it’s to stop each other falling over grin

EllanVannin Wed 19-Dec-18 22:15:02

I can remember mum and dad holding hands years ago before mum started to link his arm. They used to walk along swinging their clasped hands.
I didn't follow suit though. I walked independently preferring both hands free.

Harris27 Wed 19-Dec-18 22:09:36

Oh always holds my hands don't get out as much together as we used to both still working hard full time and shattered by the weekend. But yes we do still hold hands after forty years together.

OPgrndtr Wed 19-Dec-18 21:57:50

I just luckily stumbled upon this site last week. I love it. My DH and I met in our 50's also, and he is still trying to keep in step with me. He is 6ft and I'm 5ft so it hardly ever works, so we always hold hands. The Lord blessed me with DH after my only child married and moved away. DS has given me two sweet Gkids. I feel like I really fit in here. Thank y'all.

Jules59 Wed 19-Dec-18 21:34:21

My partner and I always held hands when out, sitting next to each other on the sofa, as we fell asleep. I really miss him xsad

moggie57 Wed 19-Dec-18 20:58:21

i think its great that older people hang on to each other.or hold hands. its quaint....its true love...

4allweknow Wed 19-Dec-18 20:06:21

Don't see young folk holding hands when out as they are in their phones or vaping away. It was the done thing in older generations to hold hands or link arms. The lack nowadays may have something to do with emancipation/independence no longer wanting to appear to be "leaning" on a male.

BlueSky Wed 19-Dec-18 19:55:08

Enjoy it while you can, never mind other people thinking: 'Look at those two all lovey dovey at their age!' This closeness is lovely and missed sorely when one or other has been away or in hospital. When out walking my DH actually puts his arm round my shoulder, I think I make a good support for him, being a foot shorter!grin

annep Wed 19-Dec-18 19:32:52

Saggi my husband holds hands but I can relate very much to the lack of empathy. Its a difficult thing to live with long term. They can't help it but sometimes that just doesnt help. flowers

HG15 Wed 19-Dec-18 17:40:47

We held hands all the time, partly as he had Parkinson’s disease and it helped to stop him falling over but mainly because we were in love the whole time we were together. He died two years ago. I would give the whole world to be able to just sit on the settee and hold hands again. Make the most of it while you can.

Auntieflo Wed 19-Dec-18 17:26:18

We also hold hands when out, or link arms. Also before we go to sleep, and if we are together on the sofa.
We have been married 57 years, and it is such a lovely thing.

floorflock Wed 19-Dec-18 17:14:58

We hold hands whenever possible and Mr F always makes sure that I am on the inside of the pavement too. Both such simple gestures but means so much......

tiredoldwoman Wed 19-Dec-18 17:01:39

I'm a bit prickly when it comes to someone hugging me , but I love someone holding my hand , especially when out walking .

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Dec-18 16:52:56

In my late teens, I had a b/f who was charming BUT had a horrible habit (despite my asking him not to) of 'pawing' me, stroking the back of my neck, slinging his arm around my shoulder, brushing my knee in the car...repetitive actions which I tolerated until one day I lost it and grabbed his hand off my knee and sank my teeth into it shock
He needed stitches.
I hate over-touching. It makes my skin crawl. angrygrin

CrazyGrandma2 Wed 19-Dec-18 16:50:00

Been holding hands for 49 years and hope to do so for many more to come. It's as natural an act as breathing. smile