Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Older couples holding hands

(83 Posts)
Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 21:51:21

I was reading a report about a couple in their 80s being rescued after a car accident. They were holding hands.
We live in a busy NE town and often see older couples walking round holding hands. Or arms. We don't see the younger ones doing the same.
I think it's lovely, even though perhaps it's to give support on the uneven pavements here. We've started to do the same, grateful to have eachother.

Scribbles Tue 18-Dec-18 22:00:04

OH and I have always been hand-holders - not so much now when walking.since he began using a stick and likes to keep one hand free. But we still hold hands when sitting side by side, in a bar, a theatre, a cinema etc, or when lying in bed in the mornings, just chatting and listening to the radio. It's very comforting and I hope we'll always do it.

Lynne59 Tue 18-Dec-18 22:09:03

My husband has always held my hand when out and about. We've been together 41 years (38 married), since he was 19 and I was 18

MissAdventure Tue 18-Dec-18 22:10:07

smile lovely..

Charleygirl5 Tue 18-Dec-18 22:15:32

I think it is a lovely gesture for whatever reason.

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 22:28:02

It helps us both to stay upright

MiniMoon Tue 18-Dec-18 22:46:34

Husband and I often hold hands. Sometimes it's a ploy on my part to stop him walking too quickly, but most of the time it's companiable.

Doodle Tue 18-Dec-18 22:55:15

DH and I always hold hands. Keeps us upright on the wonky pavements tchgrin

annep Tue 18-Dec-18 23:34:33

We always hold hands when watching telly and often when walking.

ninathenana Wed 19-Dec-18 07:06:13

We've always been hand holders too.
Before we were married we often walked along with our arms around each others waists. You don't see that any more.

grannyqueenie Wed 19-Dec-18 07:39:22

Another hand holder here and like you nina we used to walk like that too. I hadn’t noticed but you’re right......you don’t see folk doing that now.

Newquay Wed 19-Dec-18 07:53:37

I read a while ago that, over 50, you shouldn’t hold hands as you’re either being supported or restrained! Lol!

tanith Wed 19-Dec-18 07:55:06

My husband and I always held hands, I miss it ?

Day6 Wed 19-Dec-18 07:55:31

Or being loved and cherished?

gmelon Wed 19-Dec-18 07:56:09

My husband always held my hand, he started complaining that it was not done in return.
After that comment I made sure to keep in mind to take his hand.
He also liked me to hold his arm when walking but doing so always made me feel clingy.

Blinko Wed 19-Dec-18 08:05:43

We hold hands when we're out and about. He says it's an economic thing. I can't wander into quite as many shops.....grin

Day6 Wed 19-Dec-18 08:05:46

OH and I hold hands when we are out. I remember after we'd been seeing each other for a couple of months (we were both in our early 50s when we met) he touched my hand as we left the restaurant and held it in his. Nothing was said, we carried on walking to the car. I was becoming fond of him and it was like an electric connection. I can remember that moment and that feeling like it was yesterday.

My ex-husband had never been demonstrative in any way.

We still hold hands when out walking and he also does 'old fashioned' courteous things like ensuring he always walks on the outside of the pavement when we are together. I think it's lovely. (I am sure if he had a cloak he'd lay it over a puddle for me grin - well, perhaps not.)

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 08:15:16

I have no one to hold my hand, just as well, my hands are twisted from arthritis ?

annep Wed 19-Dec-18 08:25:48

My husband does that too Day6 - walking on the outside, and holds the door open for others.

Maybelle Wed 19-Dec-18 08:35:51

Miss holding hands, but impossible to do this whilst pushing his wheelchair.
Need to employ a wheelchair pusher so we can walk side by side again

Greyduster Wed 19-Dec-18 08:45:11

Hand holders here too, for fifty two years. We quite often walk with our arms around each other, but it is less easy than when we both carried a little less bulk. We are a very touchy feely couple!

sodapop Wed 19-Dec-18 08:56:25

Same here Minimoon my husband treats each outing like a route march, he can't walk slowly it seems so I have to anchor him.smile

Wilma65 Wed 19-Dec-18 09:39:28

Hand holders here too. We go to sleep holding hands and I often wake in the night and we are still holding hands ?

Kernowflock Wed 19-Dec-18 09:39:35

We have always held hands when out walking. And more recently we fall asleep my hand held by his. I have had several visits to hospital and what started as a simple 'glad you're here' is now a comfort/closeness that means so much.

Theoddbird Wed 19-Dec-18 09:40:53

It would be lovely to have someone to hold my hand....