Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

We do exist, but after this why bother?

(140 Posts)
M0nica Thu 07-Mar-19 16:19:49

Prince Harry gave a speech yesterday in which he said:

You may find yourself frustrated with the older generation when it seems they don’t care. Try to remember that not everyone sees the world the way you do but that doesn’t mean they don’t care.

You have the the incredible opportunity to help reshape mindsets, to empower those around you to think outside the box and to work with you, not against you, to find solutions

Now I know he is not the sharpest knife in the box, but he pas a personal office which contains press and media advisers - and probably speech writers as well, but why did someone let him make statements like this.

I wonder what is grandmother has said to him in private about it?

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 10:01:20

The OP took this entirely out of context and just made it into something that it obviously wasn't. Shame. angry

notentirelyallhere Fri 08-Mar-19 10:22:29

I am no royalist, but I think the Royal Family have an increasingly difficult job to do, they can't walk away, they're supposed to be neutral but must be privy to the deepest and probably alarming national secrets that none of us know. Harry and his brother are young men who need a role in the world. Their father got into trouble for 'meddling' as it was called in the past and he has gone on to do some useful things (it costs me to say that!!!). I don't think I have a right to criticise public figures whose real life I have no understanding of nor do I think it is right to expect two young men to become poodles opening bazaars and little else!
It is SO nice to have a balanced discussion with people and not descend into some of the slanging matches that one occasionally sees! I was wondering this morning, before I came and took a peek at this thread, whether to ask those who are so angry with what Harry said, to become speech writers for an hour and to post what they think he 'should' have said, not just 'don't single out older people', but how might he have motivated young people in a way that they could hear and find acceptable. The floor is yours! grin

GillT57 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:38:12

Notentirelyallhere I agree with a great deal of what you have said, and I think that perhaps Prince Harry's speech has been taken out of context and misquoted by members of the press who are very happy to have a poke at Harry and Meghan, and use every excuse to do so. There are many things happening such as climate change, tax dodging,corporate greed,running down of all essential services such as health,education, security and we should all be concerned, irrespective of our age/generation, but I understand why a younger generation may feel that some of our generation just do not care. Sadly, one only has to read some of the threads on here to see that some still believe that the answer to the housing price crisis is for young families to simply do without take away coffee and hey presto, problem solved! Things have changed, the days of staying with a company and working your way up, of two way loyalty between employee and employer have all but disappeared, vulgar and greedy people like Phillip Green and Mike Ashley run the high street and are able to cheat people out of decent contracts and their pensions, is it any wonder that some of our childrens' generation think we have made a mess of things?

Aepgirl Fri 08-Mar-19 10:40:01

Here we go again. Royal knocking. It’s times like these that I feel like unsubscribing from GN.

There are very few people either in industry or management of some form or other who do not use speech writers (probably not Donald Trump) but they all have the opportunity to tweak what they are saying.

4allweknow Fri 08-Mar-19 10:52:24

MOnica Your analysis infers most older people in Scotland must be highly educated. There will be dancing in the streets!

paddyann Fri 08-Mar-19 10:57:23

why would anyone be interested in what this overprivileged man has to say.He hasn't lived a life any of us could recognise,his using a helicopter to go to Birmingham instead of a train when he's pushing green issues is just another of his hypocritical actions ...what he's really saying it MIGHT be good enough for the plebs but dont expect me to do it too !

anitamp1 Fri 08-Mar-19 11:09:42

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years". Mark Twain.

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 11:26:32

It's good enough for me paddyanne. I'm a pleb! Yippee!!! grin

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 11:28:08

Actually I think I might have misread your post pa. Still, I am happy to be a pleb. Reckon they have all the fun.

Theoddbird Fri 08-Mar-19 11:35:11

I see nothing wrong in his words.... By the way...if someone else had said this would you be mentioning it?

Barmeyoldbat Fri 08-Mar-19 12:06:22

I read somewhere that Megan writes his speeches but to be fair how many times have I heard the younger generation called snowflakes and so on. I think up to a point its true.

ReadyMeals Fri 08-Mar-19 12:09:25

I wonder what has happened to society - is this the first era in history where we all seemed to have sat back and calmly accept YOUNGER people's right and ability to dictate to and educate older people? Everything I have read about anthropology suggests that the older normally lead the younger and shape THEIR attitudes. We certainly live in interesting times.

LuckyFour Fri 08-Mar-19 12:12:09

I didn't hear the original speech but from what MOnica has said it sounds ridiculous. I'm sick and tired of people saying it's older people's fault we are in this Brexit mess. Most of the people I know voted to remain as did we. Our grandson (just turned 18) voted remain and one daughter and son-in-law voted to stay, the other voted remain.

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 12:15:01

Luckyfour You can listen to him making the speech by clicking on the link notentirelyallthere has put on the thread. You will get the whole picture then.

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 12:15:59

I very much doubt that anyone wrote that speech but him.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 08-Mar-19 12:23:47

Oh dear do I hear the rattling of cages amongst the younger generation re a GN comment on Prince Harry's speech ''He was speaking to the young people in a way they will understand''
As for comments on the older generation allegedly!!!!!1 cashing in on their property investments.
Myself in 2019, should I, wishing to sell my present property allowing me to downsize, be condemned and a' leach' for selling' at what was estimated by the agent to be in line with todays prices. and sell for what I paid for it twenty five years ago. Get into the real world .

Chucky Fri 08-Mar-19 12:43:09

Aepgirl
“Here we go again. Royal knocking. It’s times like these that I feel like unsubscribing from GN.”
Isn’t everyone entitled to their opinion?
You have a choice, read the opinion of others or as you feel go ahead and unsubscribe!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 08-Mar-19 12:48:39

You are right Chucky, often I feel frustrated with the opinions voices on GNs BUT that is what this forum for

icanhandthemback Fri 08-Mar-19 12:48:49

There has always been a difference in views of the older generations and younger generations. Both sides try to change the mindset of the other. Older people often argue from their experiences so they think they know better. Young people tend to be bound up with idealism so they feel they are right. Harry is just saying that in order for young people's ideas to be heard that they need to find a way to put them so older people will listen. That is hardly insensitive or rocket science.
I suspect that the press can see this as a pitch for the Meghan and her father argument which is why it is being quoted out of context.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:03:45

I don't think that trying to set one generation against another is a positive thing to do.

As far as I can tell, there are some wonderful young people who care deeply about the future, but there are also those who care little for their environment and throw fast food rubbish out from their cars and care little about the future of the planet, being more interested in social media and trashy tv programmes.

During the war there were generations of young people who fought, lost their lives, to save us from fascism - and equally there were the 'spivs' who took advantage of other people's misery.
Has he heard of CND? Greenham Common? Rosa Parkes? Protestors against the war in Vietnam? Women's Liberation?

He does need to be taught recent history.

I don't think that the speech (and I have read it all) was balanced.

I think the same could be said for all generations - setting one against the other is not the answer.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:04:58

I forgot Greenpeace - started in 1975.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:06:37

Here we go again. Royal knocking.
I am by no means a Royal knocker - not a sycophant.
I think that Harry has made a mistake here.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:11:37

By the way...if someone else had said this would you be mentioning it?
Yes, because there have been previous threads on some of the pronouncements by members of the Intergenerational Foundation.

I do not like strife between generations.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 08-Mar-19 13:12:56

notentireleyallthere
Prince Harrys Quote re the younger generation.'
How patronizing to suggest that Prince Harry's speech to the young generation was delivered in a way they could understand. If it was of his making, and not merely the messenger then it appears to 'come with the job of being a royal ' as he won't be the first in his family to put their foot in it.
Re student certainty to study and work after Brexit
I do not recall Secretary of State Damian Hinds making any reference other than a change in fees concerning students coming from other countries.
As there are thousands from across the channel already studying and working in the UK who then in other EU countries would be the first to refuse/ deny our own UK students the same in their countries.
Works both ways?

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-19 13:35:20

Mindful, light, outside the box. That wasn’t Harry