Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

We do exist, but after this why bother?

(140 Posts)
M0nica Thu 07-Mar-19 16:19:49

Prince Harry gave a speech yesterday in which he said:

You may find yourself frustrated with the older generation when it seems they don’t care. Try to remember that not everyone sees the world the way you do but that doesn’t mean they don’t care.

You have the the incredible opportunity to help reshape mindsets, to empower those around you to think outside the box and to work with you, not against you, to find solutions

Now I know he is not the sharpest knife in the box, but he pas a personal office which contains press and media advisers - and probably speech writers as well, but why did someone let him make statements like this.

I wonder what is grandmother has said to him in private about it?

Eloethan Tue 19-Mar-19 00:20:06

There are older people who constantly complain about the young being irresponsible, lacking initiative, profligate, lazy, etc, etc. They regale everyone with tales of the hard times they had in their youth, how they scrimped and saved, never had a holiday, didn't have a telephone, never ate out, etc, etc, etc. That is no doubt true for some - it was for my husband and I - but there are different, and I think worse, challenges now.

People born in the 40's and 50's were generally able, once they married and had a family to buy a property, or have access to reasonably priced, secure council housing. Single people could generally find affordable private accommodation. For those who could not afford to buy, there were more protections relating to how much rent could be charged and security of tenure. That is certainly not the case these days. Panorama this evening was about two well known landlords who have treated their tenants abominably and who are now throwing them all out of their homes with very little notice. Tenants have very few rights and I feel sorry for people with young children who can never be sure if they will have to move home when their 6 month or 1 year tenancy expires.

I think this is the great challenge of our time and it explains why especially couples with children, even if they are on good salaries, find housing costs leave them with very little disposable income.

Having said all that, I'm not sure members of the royal family have any idea of the lives of the majority of people, whether they be old or young, since they do not have to wrestle with such problems.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:13:45

Perhaps it’s because we really are grumpy old people forever moaning about these young upstarts
The majority of us do not moan about the young generation though - we may state our case when they get their facts wrong about us but in general the ones whom I know, with only one or two exceptions, are hardworking and get on well with the older generation.

Bridgeit Mon 18-Mar-19 13:37:24

If you read it again he actually says : when it seems they don’t care.
Hardly a mind blowing statement,generations often don’t agree on every aspect of life past & present.
Why can’t his comment(s) be viewed in a positive light.
Perhaps it’s because we really are grumpy old people forever moaning about these young upstart ! Ohh sorry I mean the next generation of which at one time we all have been ?

Day6 Mon 18-Mar-19 12:31:15

Because he is describing the older generation as a mass as being unsympathetic to younger peoples aspirations and concerns and suggesting that we cannot cope with the modern world and need to be helped to change by young people.

Absolutely, M0nica. That's how I read it too.

Given his grandmother the Queen has got to be one of the most incredibly hardworking and knowledgeable old (really old!) woman, in the world, (whether people approve of monarchy of not) his pronouncement is a bit of a slap in the face to a huge group of aware people.

I am tech savvy, up to date with current affairs, have brought up three children, much the same age as Diana's sons, and have worked and I hope influenced the lives of others in a very positive way.

I have a son who has passionate beliefs and we often cross swords but he recognises he was brought up by a woman who adapts to change. I taught them how to use our home PC for instance. He respects this generation of middle aged and elderly as being quite savvy and not having the easy passage in life some Gransnet contributors seem to think we've had.

Not only that, as computer owning parents and grandparents we are in touch with latest developments, music, lifestyle choices etc of the families we have raised.

Identity politics, which Harry seems to be sucking up, is a very dangerous, pernicious trend. Generalisations are odious and he likes to tar a massive group of people with the same "fuddy-duddies who need patronising by the young" brush.

Where is the respect? I appreciate we have to earn it, but as individuals we could, in the space of five minutes, form a group which could wipe the floor with Harry's juvenile and rather insulting (short-sighted at best) premise.

Bridgeit Mon 18-Mar-19 12:27:28

Actually they do , especially Prince Charles, but it’s not often given any air time, the press prefer to report in the negative ?

MaudLillian Mon 18-Mar-19 12:18:14

He is a member of an influential family. I don't see any of them really showing their concern for climate change. When you care, you take some action, you don't just make speeches. I'm firmly with Greta on this - those with the power to change things aren't rising to the challenge. If they cared, they would. We, as individuals, can do a lot, but without government action, laws can't change, and industries that are responsible for damaging emissions, waste and pollution need to be tackled firmly. This includes animal agriculture.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 14:28:09

I don't think that all American senior citizens voted for Trump - some of them voted for Hillary (she herself is what could be termed a 'senior citizen')!

starbird Mon 11-Mar-19 14:16:05

I would imagine that to think “outside the box” will be harder for all those ex Etonians and their ilk in the private education system. There are exceptions of course, but many of them just exude an air of privilege and entitlement, whereas the older generation - that is, over 70, has probably revised their ‘box’ already as a result of life experience. I wonder if some of the young even have a ‘box’ when it comes to serious matters - or if they just blow with the wind according to what they read on social media. I know there are lots of sensible ones out their too and would love to see the results of a comprehensive survey on what the younger generation think.
To me the remark implies that our mindset is wrong and the young can help to change it - well there are plenty of young MPs around - let’s see see what they achieve.
If Harry had been speaking to Americans it would have made complete sense! Please Meghan, don’t confuse the British pensioners with your American ones who voted for Trump!

Anniebach Mon 11-Mar-19 12:19:38

Exactly Jalima , bring racism into this discussion is offensive to posters who haven’t praised Megan.

annep1 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:05:54

I think he was wrong to say it. I would think the same if anyone else said it. Nothing to do with the RF.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 10:26:32

I've never heard anyone make racist comments on here about Meghan, Eloethan.
Indeed, people have been full of praise about her dignified mother who is black and less enthusiastic about her father and half-sister, who are both white.

Bringing race into it is a distraction.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 10:23:31

He is addressing the older generation who supported Brixet and support people like Trump, who does not believe in global warming.

Well, that is a generalisation!

There are many younger people who supported Brexit, think Trump is wonderful and do not believe in global warming.

There are many older people who voted Remain, would never vote for Trump and are concerned about climate change.

You cannot put people into pigeon holes according to age.

Anniebach Mon 11-Mar-19 09:54:41

It must be in the mind of the accuser , why else would it be brought into the discussion,

Framilode Mon 11-Mar-19 09:44:42

Why, when there is any critism of Meghan, do people automatically call it out as racist? If I post anything critical the mixed race thing honestly never enters my mind. I simply couldn't care what race anybody is, it makes no difference.

Anniebach Mon 11-Mar-19 09:18:29

Bringing racism into this is daft

Eloethan Mon 11-Mar-19 09:12:11

I think it is counter-productive to personalise the issue. It is the institution I despise, not the people, though I suspect they feel absolutely comfortable with their privileged lifestyle and so would not be the sort of people with whom I'd have much in common.

However, calling anyone a "waste of air" is, in my opinion, rather chilling and akin to saying they, as people, have no right to exist.

The sort of snobbery and, I believe, racism that has been aimed at this couple should, I think, be challenged, whether you agree with their royal status or not because it reinforces and legitimises the same sort of attitudes that are found in wider society.

Anniebach Mon 11-Mar-19 09:07:41

Get rid of the monarch, knighthoods etc and we will free of poverty

annep1 Mon 11-Mar-19 08:54:20

Fair comnent Eloethan

ReadyMeals Mon 11-Mar-19 08:44:15

I am particularly gutted because I was hoping for a full union one day like the USA. I rather liked the idea of being part of a great world power, to match America.

M0nica Mon 11-Mar-19 07:40:56

Except that a lot of the older generation didn't vote for Brexit and object to being tarred by the Brexit brush.

annep1 Mon 11-Mar-19 02:47:23

Paddyann
Hereditary monarchies should have been left in medieval times where they belong alone with knights and lords etc etc etc
I agree!

paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 01:27:24

wee bit different saying it on GN and making aspeech that will be heard worldwide I would think .I'll happily criticise them all one at a time if you like eleothan .I have no problem with thinking they are a waste of good air and should be shown the door when Lizzie pops her clogs .Hereditary monarchies should have been left in medieval times where they belong alone with knights and lords etc etc etc .All of which are there just so some can act superior and be treated as such by the very people who pay for their overprivileged lifestyles

grannyqueenie Sun 10-Mar-19 23:47:44

Eloethan you’ve just written what I’ve been composing in my head! grin

Eloethan Sun 10-Mar-19 23:39:17

Why is it Harry and Meghan who get all the criticisms?

The royal family aren't renowned for their sparkling repartee or insightful speeches. Neither are they known for their careful use of resources.

I am not a fan of royalty and would prefer a republic but I don't like the unpleasantness that seems to continually be aimed at Meghan and Harry. I don't think they are the first to fly in a jet or helicopter.

Perhaps it was rather undiplomatic of him to imply that
all older people might be perceived as uncaring but I don't think the remark is excessively offensive. There have been many very unkind comments made about young people on Gransnet - they are spendthrift, lazy, entitled, "snowflakes", etc, etc. Not everybody has expressed that opinion, of course, but to those who have , I would say "If you can't take it, don't dish it out."

hpom Sun 10-Mar-19 23:26:04

He is addressing the older generation who supported Brixet and support people like Trump, who does not believe in global warming.