Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Nectar App

(10 Posts)
M0nica Thu 28-Nov-19 08:12:22

I can remember my aunt refusing to have a cheque guarantee card and then complaining that shops wouldn't accept her cheques and treating the thought of having a credit card as if it was radioactive.

I struggle with smart phones - and typing on my computer because I have reduced feeling in the tips of the fingers on my right hand but I am determined to get to grips with it. I refuse to be patronised as an old dear who cannot cope with modern technology.

As for loyalty cards I have one, for my regular supermarket, and that is it. The coupons they give me at the till go straight in the bin. I do a lot of my food shopping at local farm shops so my supermarket shop is only part of my food shopping so the data they get from my loyalty card is limited.

kittylester Thu 28-Nov-19 06:37:02

I dont use my phone to collect points in Sainsbury's but the card is synced to my phone so the offers are on my card when it is scanned.

lefthanded Thu 28-Nov-19 00:32:47

The problem at the moment is that every business feels that it needs a loyalty card scheme. Supermarkets, coffee shops, restaurants, clothing chains, even Boots have one. and if you don't have the loyalty card for any business which you regularly use then you miss out on the offers and discounts. To carry everything means a fearsome amount of plastic in your bag/wallet. My wife carries THREE credit card cases all stuffed with loyalty cards - and she can never find the one she wants. Me? I have everything on my phone, instantly accessible. I do it that way because it is easiest for me.

Doodledog Wed 27-Nov-19 20:58:13

Yes, it's a difficult balance to strike.

I think that there will be facilities for the blind and disabled, though. It would be illegal to discriminate, surely?

I don't think anyone was suggesting that a compulsory cashless society is on the way. I think it will soon be an option, but can't see it being compulsory, as a lot of people would protest because of the civil liberties issues you mention.

I remember when a lot of people were worried about paying with debit cards, and now are perfectly happy with them. I think a lot is resistance to change. Sooner or later, people who are young now will be elderly, and I don't see why that would mean that they would automatically resist technology.

People like my 95 year old mother in law never got used to it; but my generation (I am 60) have used it for decades, and are perfectly comfortable with it. As we age, I see no reason why that would change.

In the end, I think that there will be things that are only offered online, and people will be able to opt out of them if they refuse to get on board, but some necessities will stay as they are. I know that councils are going (or have gone) digital, and it is only in exceptional circumstances that people can go in in person, or use the phone - most things are done online. Bills would go up a lot if people paid things like council tax over the counter, and it would be very inconvenient for those who work full time in office hours.

Fiachna50 Wed 27-Nov-19 19:00:59

Well the day they want me to pay for my shopping through my Smartphone , is the day they can say goodbye to my custom. This is the beginning of being forced to go cashless and they will be monitoring every single thing you buy. You will also be targeted with all the crap of the day. You have been warned. Go over to these at your peril. Caffe Nero now Sainsburys. It will soon be oh , pay for your shopping by phone. This will disadvantage people. Hey ho, as long as it's convenient, who cares about folk who don't or can't have Smartphones. There is no thought for elderly, disabled, blind, partially- sighted. So long as its easier and cheaper for big companies.

Doodledog Wed 27-Nov-19 17:59:32

I prefer the app to paper vouchers, as I never have those when I need them, and it is irritating when someone roots through their bag and starts sorting out which vouchers to use at the till. A quick swipe is so much easier all round.

I agree that things are moving in the direction of smartphone use being the default, though, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

My mother in law, for instance, is 95, and will never get her head around computers or smartphones, and I don't think she can be expected to do so.

OTOH, times change, and in some ways it is no different from people in the past not having landlines or even not being able to read. There will always be people who can't or won't keep up with things, and the question is how far everything should be held back for them, balanced against considerations of how far they should be taken into account when policies are made. It's not easy to be fair to everyone.

I think we are probably in a transitional phase just now - there is usually a way to over-ride an electronic system, but it probably won't be long until these ways are phased out altogether - particularly for things like loyalty points that are an option rather than a necessity.

Noreen3 Wed 27-Nov-19 17:43:24

yes,I've now found that I can get points online,so I'll have to remember to do that,and I still get paper vouchers too.But I still think they're complicating things.

TerriBull Tue 26-Nov-19 13:44:16

Commiserations! I can see this new direction Sainsburys has taken is going to disadvantage those who haven't a smart phone as it seems they assume everyone has. I'm not a great one for downloading apps, but this one does work well, insomuch as Sainsbury's email every week with points that can be collected over the next 7 days on particular products tailored to the customer's shopping pattern. Very true you don't get many basic Nectar points and the vouchers do make them up considerably. Incidentally, in spite of downloading the app, I have since had some vouchers as well, but fewer.

I suppose it's true this is the direction retail is going in, I sympathise with you nevertheless Noreen.

Nellie098 Tue 26-Nov-19 13:39:59

I have a link to this on my p.c. Each Thursday I simply sign in and with just one button select all the offers for food shopping as they are primarily aimed at the items I buy on a regular basis. Although some only offer a few points it all adds up and takes no time at all. This app was in place a while ago but it was discontinued so glad it is back. I think it is better than the paper vouchers but the online app seems to lack the 3x or 5x points if you spend so much but again perhaps this will return as again it was on the old app.

Noreen3 Tue 26-Nov-19 13:16:24

I was at the checkout in Sainsbury's today,I handed over some printed vouchers for extra points,the assistant handed me one back,saying it was about the Nectar app.I received some more vouchers,and remarked that I like the old way of doing things,as we don't all have smartphones.Her reply was that it's progress,in the future it will all be on our phones.There was a similar discussion on Gransnet last week about Sainsbury's doing away with assistants on the checkouts.I can't see what's wrong with the Nectar card the way it is,are Sainsbury's trying to get rid of the loyal older customers? You don't get many basic Nectar points,but I make mine up with these vouchers,I often buy a dvd when I've got £10 worth