Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Time Has Gone By So Fast

(11 Posts)
ss1024 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:21:51

In 2020, I turned 60, retired, became a grandma and moved to a new home within a 3 month period. Now that things are simmering down, I am looking back at the last 60 years and wondering where all of the time went. We raised 2 boys and I had a quite successful career and generally, life has been very happy. I am now fearful that the next 20-40 years will go by so fast and wondering if others feel the same way and if so, how they cope with knowing that there are fewer years ahead than behind.

tanith Sat 15-Aug-20 13:47:23

I try not to think about what’s to come apart from putting things in place, I just enjoy each day as it comes no amount of concern will change thing will it.

Soozikinzi Sat 15-Aug-20 14:01:25

I have also turned 60 and retired this year and feel
A bit negative about it all like yourself. But I know we must shake ourselves out of this attitude and get our positive heads on . Some would give anything to be well and able to enjoy these years . Focus on the good things ahead . To be fair on ourselves it has been such a strange year to get to these milestones xx

sodapop Sat 15-Aug-20 15:33:09

I know exactly how you feel ss1024 I feel like my earlier life was just a dream flashing past. I am determined to enjoy my later years now, no grand plans but just being happy with the life I have.

Doodledog Sat 15-Aug-20 15:37:49

I understand your feelings too. I have sometimes felt quite worried when thinking about it. I do try to enjoy life as I live it, and on the whole I succeed in doing so, but it’s not always easy.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I understand.

MellowYellow Sat 15-Aug-20 15:40:57

I retired four years ago and whilst the previous frantic decades - children, a career, very busy house, then a divorce - flew by, I've found that time slows down in retirement and it's delicious. These four years have been full of things I enjoy, places I wanted to visit, people I really wanted to be with, plus (the crown on it all) grandchildren. Find things you truly want to do, for yourself and no other, and throw yourself into this precious time. Even if it takes a while to adapt to I really really hope you enjoy your retirement!

AGAA4 Sat 15-Aug-20 15:48:27

Time is precious and it slips away so quickly. I am a good bit older than 60 but try not to look into the future as it often surprises you.

Enjoy today, yesterday is just memories, some good some not so good and don't worry about tomorrow.

ss1024 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:22:35

Thank you, everyone. Time actually seems to have sped up since my retirement! It's good to know I am not alone, and I will adhere to all of your advice - very helpful!

Jane10 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:39:19

I feel frustrated right now that I can't get doing all the things I used to. I'm just marking time like everyone else but I do find myself wondering how many fit and active years I have left which makes this forced inactivity worse somehow. However, I tell myself that it might have been worse if I was still working, had a mortgage, small children etc.

Calendargirl Sun 16-Aug-20 13:05:43

I think that when we are young, time drags. You can’t wait for your birthday, Christmas, school holidays. My school years, from 4 to 16, seemed an age, but now, in retirement, the years whizz by. It’s 15 years since we moved to our present home, but honestly sometimes feels like yesterday.
Doesn’t help that GC, who not very long ago, were holding your hand and having bedtime stories read to them, now tower over you and will soon sit their GCSE’s!

C’est la vie!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 10-Sep-20 15:44:47

I too know exactly how you feel.

I try very hard to enjoy the moment, as at my age, 68, my future is obviously shorter than my past.

I get goose flesh if I stop to consider how fast the last twenty years have gone by. Who knows whether there are twenty to come and how fast they will vanish?

I don't think anyone has satisfactorily explained yet, why everyone finds time moves faster as they get old.