Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Over 75 best exercises

(71 Posts)
honeypot43 Sun 29-Nov-20 06:53:18

I am fairly fit for my age, but have never been keen on exercise. I know I should try but legs ache and because I now live in a bungalow and happily don’t have stairs, I am losing muscle strength. The trouble is exercise is not very pleasurable, I have to make myself go for short walks but would much rather sit at my desk and do something creative, this is not good

Greciangirl Sun 29-Nov-20 15:44:18

I recommend Joe Wicks 10minute workout for seniors on You Tube.
It’s short and sharp.
He does 20minute ones as well I believe.

Joesoap Sun 29-Nov-20 15:56:05

I am waiting for a hip replacement and can’t walk far but I do lots of pre op exercises several times a day boring at times but I make myself do them don’t want to lose muscles I normally hate excercising But this is essential so I plod on. Sorry I can’t get rid of these last letters how do I do it does anyone know please tried all ways and they will not disappear. sing

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 16:33:21

Sing! Yes Joesoap singing is good too!
Seriously, to remove the letters, go to the small x on the top line and press that.
All the best with your hip.

Trip Sun 29-Nov-20 16:37:33

I really liked the freely available TeamBodyProject ones I found on YouTube- (found them by googling “low impact standing workouts”). Eventually, I moved on to their website, where there is a more complete range of progressive, graded workout programs (including Pilates! and balance practice and weights). There’s a series for Seniors, and others, called Real Start, for those of any age who are out of shape or needing seated workouts, progressing to quite challenging workouts for very fit people.

Without paying anything (no credit card required to sign up), it is possible to join as a member so that you really have several weeks to test it. If it works for you you can decide whether to join formally for longer access. I found it quite affordable for what it provides. And there are helpful forums too.

Or you can just continue to use the free YouTube ones.

But no matter what you try, please don’t give up until you find something you enjoy enough to keep going. On YouTube, I did try Joe Wicks, whose efforts I admire, but for me his voice grates and some of his suggested moves for Seniors seemed a little pointlessly risky for dodgy backs. I also tried Leslie Sansone walking ones, but found them very repetitive. However, several people on here like both Joe Wicks and Leslie, so definitely worth a try. Persistence in trying will pay off.

Several people here also suggested getting a dog. My dog has passed away, and I still miss her, but I will be looking for another after the pandemic has receded.

Lastly, I too struggle with motivation, ( especially without a dog), but a certain amount of daily exercise is as necessary as brushing your teeth and bathing. Just as you would never ask yourself whether you feel like brushing your teeth today, you need to just schedule it and do it. I purchased a step counter too which reminds me not to sit too long, as well as keeping track of my steps and serves as a watch.

Once you start, it’s easier to continue. And I think it will be so worth it for all of us it to be able to be as physically independent and mobile as long as possible.

M0nica Sun 29-Nov-20 17:40:59

Walking is essential and when my parents retired and attended a pre-retirement course, the tutor advised all bungalow dwellers to go somewhere and walk up two flights of stairs each week.

For more general health and fitness, I cannot recommend Tai Chi sufficiently. It is gentle, thorough and, if your balance is week, you can hold onto a chair if needful.

netflixfan Sun 29-Nov-20 18:08:47

Ah who remembers the pleasure of swimming?? I’m walking round the park until the pool re-opens.

Twig14 Sun 29-Nov-20 21:35:38

My mother age 100 wouldn’t use the stairlift I had installed would walk up the stairs instead. Until 3 weeks ago walked up n down the lounge daily. At the moment in hospitsl after having three tests for Covid today confirmed negative n is a chest infection. Amazing as the last couple of months was staying with my sister n bro in law who contracted Covid. My mother was a concern but seems to have not been affected.

Cabbie21 Sun 29-Nov-20 22:14:11

I know I don’t take enough exercise but I have never enjoyed it. A while back I started a thread about not liking walking alone. Today I had a treat as my son suggested meeting up for a walk. First time I have seen him since early September, though he only lives 14 miles away.
I do worry about DH. He never walks anywhere at all. Before COVID he would walk round antique fairs but that hasn’t happened since February. He gets angina and has arthritis so I can understand his problems, but it worries me, though there is nothing I can do about it.

Taichinan Sun 29-Nov-20 23:33:58

Walking is the best exercise and you need no equipment! You can just go out there and do it if you have weight bearing problems swimming is best. Once the world starts moving again see if you can find a tai chi class in your area. It's a slow moving activity which keeps the muscles and joints well exercised and also helps maintain good balance which tends to become a problem in later years. It's also a sociable activity, which is also good. Good luck with finding something.

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 23:54:32

Walking in the countryside or along the canal path is my favourite exercise. But I must admit I’m finding it harder to motivate myself lately due to the weather.

If all else fails I’ll stick with the exercises I’ve attached here?

mokryna Mon 30-Nov-20 00:23:53

I don’t know about bungalow legs, I have lived for the past forty odd years in a flat. Retired now, I make sure I have at least an hour’s daily walk, as well as taking part in a thirty-minute zoom gym class every day and Pilates once a week. When covid is finished I will go on a week’ s holiday to centre specialized teaching people to learn to swim. I am very worried that if I don’t exercise everything will seize up. I already have problems with blood circulation in my legs.

JanT8 Mon 30-Nov-20 07:48:39

My husband has Vascular Dementia and one of the groups I take him to is seated Yoga, it’s brilliant and can be adapted for the carer.
There’s also seated Pilates which you can find on YouTube.

Withnail Mon 30-Nov-20 08:02:22

The hardest thing is to get started
You probably think the last thing you want to do is to leave your lovely comfort zone - thing is, if you do start walking, the endorphins will start rising.
Choose a day - say Monday
Choose a time - say 1000
Go out & walk for 10 minutes only
Do that 3 times in the first week
Next week
Do it 4 times in the week
If at any point you feel like walking more you can do - but never less than 10 minutes
Just do that for 2 weeks & see how you get on ? you will have increased your endorphins.

Rosiebee Mon 30-Nov-20 09:31:56

I shall be back swimming on Thursday. 30 lengths, slow and stately. First time back after a break always feels like swimming through treacle. Gentle exercise that you can take at your own pace also regardless of weather. Love doing my lengths and seeing it lashing down outside. I find it helps to go swimming or walking in the morning, then I can settle to craft activities with a clear conscience.?

BelindaB Mon 30-Nov-20 11:40:38

Get a dog!!!! I have 3 and take them out 4 times a day. First and last walks are just to pee (they know and do thier business asap!), lunchtime we go for as long a walk as I can manage and evenings is a strictly local stroll.

If you can't have a dog, then look about. I'll bet you'll soon find someone who could use some help walking thiers. It's not only good exercise, it is a great way of making friends.

I am 74, very arthritic and registered disabled. I also have an allotment and work really hard at keeping myself moving.

The Rheumatologist told me that if it wasn't for the dogs and the allotment, I would have been in a wheelchair years ago.

M0nica Tue 01-Dec-20 10:11:48

BelindaB I appreciae your fondness for your dogs, but I can imagine nothing worse than having pets to look after. I do not need an excuse, like walking the dog, to get out and walk almost every day - and that is the nub. There are times when having to walk a dog can be a real tie, or when the weather is truly dreadful.

As it is, I can go out for a brisk walk at any speed I like and any distance, without having to slow down because the dog is defecating or examining something. alternatively I can spend 10 minutes just standing listening to the first lark in spring, without having to control a dog.

LovesToBake Sun 06-Dec-20 18:43:06

I love exercising each day with Joanna Marcinekova. She offers a series of exercise routines on YouTube, specifically designed for seniors. She is a fun, enthusiastic, professional who really understands seniors needs. Give it a try. You might discover a new passion for movement.

seacliff Sun 06-Dec-20 19:58:56

I am really unfit and have got worse over lockdown, as I can't walk much due to hip pain. I have not really enjoyed the Leslie Sanson or Joe Wicks videos.

I have just tried the over 70s workout part 2 by Joanna Marcinekova as recommended by LovesToBake above. Thankyou for mentioning her.

I did this one. www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVacCF4AoVM. This is the most basic doing exercises from a chair. I really like her way of teaching, no loud music, just explaining carefully what to do in a very pleasant way.

I am doing to try really hard to do this daily and hopefully will see some improvement.

Ailsa43 Wed 30-Dec-20 12:18:36

youtu.be/v7wuh_BQgQg

15 minute sit down exercises for seniors

Puzzled Mon 13-Sep-21 10:46:58

Just read in today's paper that walking up and down stairs is almost as good as going to the gym.
OH exercises and walks regularly, I seem to give the stair carpet a lot of wear, and can walk a couple of miles from town in about 50 minutes. So maybe there is hope for us octogenarians yet!