Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

The Invisible Woman

(29 Posts)
JackyB Sun 28-Feb-21 13:49:49

I just heard this song on Cerys Matthews' Sunday morning programme.

It's about us!

youtu.be/WyIQDLLyyoA

M0nica Sat 06-Mar-21 21:57:04

Sorry, nightowl but what do you mean by We can believe we’re not invisible if we wish to, but quite honestly no one really sees or takes any notice of old women.

I am still be treated by any authority I deal with in life exactly as I was 20, 30, 40 years ago. People I come across casually in shops, employees, not customers, with the same attention and courtesy I have always received.

For the last three months since DH became ill, I have been dealing with medical personnel of all kinds and all levels on his behalf. I cannot think of a single occasion when I was ignored and slighted because I was old. Once again I was delat with, with courtesy, I was kept uptodate with everything that was happening. I was talked to directly, no talking down to me or in a patronising fashion.

I really do not understand what you mean.

GagaJo Sat 06-Mar-21 23:43:08

I agree. Older women do become invisible. But I don't see it as a negative. I like flying under the radar and am quite happy to pass unnoticed.

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 00:57:08

I wouldn’t say I was invisible, not round here anyway. People are pretty friendly and often smile and say hello. Not so much in the city but I avoid peoples’ eyes there , you don’t know what they might have in mind! Too many tales of robbery etc.