Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Shop assistants

(122 Posts)
EmHar Tue 11-May-21 13:44:23

I HATE being called love , dear or any familiar word by shop staff : makes me feel incredibly old which as a newish retiree I am not . Just patronising!

NemosMum Thu 13-May-21 10:46:50

Pet, flower, blossom, hinnie, darling, love, sugar etc. etc. - they are just trying to be friendly. As long as they do their job, who cares?

Camelotclub Thu 13-May-21 10:49:22

I hate it when out with a female friend we are called 'guys'. Usually by a young person!

Dee1012 Thu 13-May-21 10:52:25

I really don't mind being called love at all, there's a much older man local to me who always calls me "bonnie lass".....makes my day to be honest!

Lesley60 Thu 13-May-21 10:55:17

I hate all these over familiar terms too
They all use hun in my Bueaty shop and even though they are all lovely girls and great at what they do I cringe whenever I hear it

Riggie Thu 13-May-21 11:04:05

I hate "You Guys", seems to be said in reataurants a lot (obviojsly havent been in one for an age). Totally unnecessary imo ' "Are you guys ready to order" could just he "Are you ready to order" no need ro add anything else!!

gran5up Thu 13-May-21 11:07:54

Camelotclub, hear hear!
My response is to look over my shoulder and say, "Oh sorry, I thought you were talking to some men behind us"
"Guy" to me is a bloke...Guys and Dolls, Guy Fawkes etc.
"You guys" is more American gibberish-please stop it!

halfpint1 Thu 13-May-21 11:13:46

I'm used to using Madame in France and its so easy and respectfull even to my neighbours, as surnames can be challenging. This would translate to Mrs or as missus ,
can't imaging someone saying 'Hello Mrs' , yuck!

Annaram1 Thu 13-May-21 11:17:02

In Dorset shop assistants always called their customers "Me lover. " I would like to be somebody's lover.

harrysgran Thu 13-May-21 11:23:49

Guys ,hun,babe dislike them all don't really mind pet, love or even darling

Wong Thu 13-May-21 11:28:32

It’s not patronising. Just someone being friendly for goodness sake. We could all do with a bit more friendliness.

cupcake1 Thu 13-May-21 11:29:01

Doesn’t bother me at all although I detest hun or babes even in the written word via text or email.

Aepgirl Thu 13-May-21 11:29:57

It’s not the word that is patronising, it’s the way it’s said. You can tell if it is just a form of address, but when it is in a whingey voice ‘are you all right dear’ (meaning ‘you’re old, you need taking care of’ ) then I detest it.

Frogs Thu 13-May-21 11:32:37

I don’t like being called ‘love’ or ‘sweetheart’ etc - I can feel my hackles coming up although I’d never let it show.
No problem with ‘guys’ as they are addressing a group of people, not me in particular

Wong Thu 13-May-21 11:33:31

Take more than ‘dear’ to make me feel old.

Rowsie Thu 13-May-21 11:35:12

I don't mind the words love or dear but what I really hate is the way shop assistants have a conversation with you and then say "aah" (as if I am some sort of sweet little old lady!

Millie22 Thu 13-May-21 11:38:17

This has all been discussed before and fairly recently. Boring.

Juicylucy Thu 13-May-21 11:38:37

I don’t mind it at all. The worlds a mess at the moment anyway so I think it’s good to be nice to each other.

Purplepixie Thu 13-May-21 11:39:02

Oh stop moaning, they are just trying to be friendly. Maybe they should tell you to beggar off in future and that would certainly have you moaning. I love it when people are happy and friendly and say love, pet,dear or anything nice. It helps to cheer up what can be a lonely day while out shopping.

Battersea1971 Thu 13-May-21 11:43:37

It doesnt bother me in the least, they are just being friendly. There are a lot more important things to worry about.

nipsmum Thu 13-May-21 11:50:41

As long as they are pleasant and helpful I don't care what form of address they use. We are not living in Victorian England any more. Why are some people so precious about things that don't matter. To use another saying, " don't sweat the small stuff ".

Craftycat Thu 13-May-21 11:50:42

No-one has ever called me 'love' in a shop. I don't think I'd mind.
I do hate the term guys- my DiL uses it all the time to the 3 children- one of whom is a girl. Very American.

Newatthis Thu 13-May-21 11:52:38

It's not just the shop assistants - it's the clothing manufacturers too. many think that when you have reached a certain age and a certain weight then 'frump' is the fashion.

tidyskatemum Thu 13-May-21 11:55:52

I can’t stand the cold callers on the phone who insist on calling you by your first name as soon as you pick up the call, as in “Am I speaking to Mary?” (Other names are available!) I always ask if we have been introduced and if not my name is Mrs ….
One the other day got quite flustered and told me that wasn’t in the script!

curlz Thu 13-May-21 11:59:08

I work in the post office so I’m probably one of those dreaded assistants sorry ? nobody’s complained to me so far , I know a lot of my regulars by name and a lot of them call me by my first name or love or pet so it works both ways , I don’t mind I like the familiarity ?

Georgesgran Thu 13-May-21 12:00:46

Doesn’t bother me at all. I wouldn’t do their jobs for a gold pig - seeing how rude some customers can be.