Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

How old is elderly?

(110 Posts)
NanaJML Fri 21-Jan-22 11:52:41

My friends and I, all in mid 60's, were discussing when we will feel ready to be described "elderly". We get really p'd off when people our age are called elderly as we certainly don't feel it. And when does old age start? Any thoughts?

Kandinsky Sat 22-Jan-22 12:02:36

Many people would describe anyone over 65 as elderly so I was being extremely generous grin
But seriously, anyone over 75 surely comes into the elderly bracket?
I’m certain it does in medical terms.
Does it matter anyway? It’s only a term such as ‘middle aged’

winterwhite Sat 22-Jan-22 12:02:37

? Better to think about what is so wrong with being old? Answer: because others begin to think less well of us. That's the perception that needs to change.

GagaJo Sat 22-Jan-22 12:15:39

I think it depends on who you're with. I'll always be the younger woman to my bloke because he's a lot older than me. I'm old to all of my students and to my GS. I'm middle aged to my DD and her friends. In the neighbourhood I live in, I'm both youngish middle aged and old, because our neighbours are either elderly people or young families.

Age is always relative.

To me, I'm at the end of middle age.

janeainsworth Sat 22-Jan-22 12:15:51

winterwhite Better to think about what is so wrong with being old? Answer: because others begin to think less well of us.

Do they? That’s not my experience, either thinking less well of people because they’re old, or that people think less well of me because I’m old.
I find that people stay basically the same throughout their lives, if anything they improve with age.
My definition would be that you’re old when you no longer care what others think of you grin

winterwhite Sat 22-Jan-22 13:38:51

Jane, yes I do think it's almost automatic to think less well of old people, or expect less of them perhaps I should have said. To be surprised when someone old does something clever or unusual - "Gran, 66, wins Scrabble competition', 'Grandad, aged 78, runs for bus when stop moved', not good examples but things that wouldn't otherwise be remarked on are surprising in someone old. That's what I meant.

NanKate Sat 22-Jan-22 14:12:32

I can confirm categorically that gulligranny is not elderly. ? We meet from time to time for coffee and a natter and I think we look pretty stylish. ?‍♀️

OmaLoocie Sat 22-Jan-22 15:00:12

At work the other day a much younger colleague discovered I was in my 60s. Her shocked response? "Wow, really?! But you seem so youthful!" I just had to laugh! I have a sneaky suspicion I won't feel 'elderly' until I'm about 90, if I manage to live that long, obviously. ? And no doubt there are 80 somethings out there who regard being 'elderly' as when you hit 100! ? But I think this is because how our society views elders. Age brings wisdom - well, hopefully! - and that should be valued as it is in other cultures. Unfortunately in the Western 21st Century world what is valued more than anything else seems to be financial profit and outward appearances. I've never really liked the term Old Age Pensioner, much prefer to be a Senior Citizen! ?

Blondiescot Sat 22-Jan-22 15:28:44

Well, a woman who is pregnant for the first time after the age of 35 is described as an 'elderly primigravida'... grin
Interestingly, one article by the British Geriatric Society said "Western literature arbitrarily defines old age as people above the age of 65. Few authors subdivide old age further as young old (65-74), old (75-84) and old-old (85+)." However, the BGS itself is calling for the medical profession to take a new look at how old age is defined, now that people are generally living longer and are more active and productive into later life.

M0nica Sat 22-Jan-22 15:37:02

Blondiescot, It used to be 28, or was it 25?

Jerseygal Sat 22-Jan-22 15:37:58

Typically, the elderly has been defined as the chronological age of 65 or older. People from 65 to 74 years old are usually considered early elderly, while those over 75 years old are referred to as late elderly.

Baggs Sat 22-Jan-22 15:54:45

NanKate

I can confirm categorically that gulligranny is not elderly. ? We meet from time to time for coffee and a natter and I think we look pretty stylish. ?‍♀️

One can be stylish and elderly.

Blondiescot Sat 22-Jan-22 16:19:19

M0nica

*Blondiescot*, It used to be 28, or was it 25?

I'm not sure, but it was previously younger than 35, as I know a friend of mine was shocked to be classed as an 'elderly primigravida' when she had her son, and she could only have been around 30 at the time.

garnet25 Sat 22-Jan-22 16:27:27

At 75 I most certainly do not feel elderly most of the time. I ride a bike and do 10-20 mile rides around the very hilly area where we live, I also swim and lift weights. However, two days with my 6-year-old granddaughter can shatter me mentally and physically much as I adore her. I am lucky in that my hair has not gone grey so most folk are surprised when they find out my age.

NanKate Sat 22-Jan-22 16:47:08

Bags no offence meant. Yes elderly can be stylish. My late Mum was always stylish. I have never quite reached her standards ?

Judi Dench always looks stylish, but I am not sure of her age.

grandMattie Sat 22-Jan-22 17:23:26

I was talking to a retired A&E doctor and she said that for drugs etc.m people over 65 are classed as elderly.

mumski Sat 22-Jan-22 17:51:56

My sister in law has been 80 since she was 30 years old. Very stuck in her ways. It's about your attitude and approach to life which defines your age.

varian Sat 22-Jan-22 17:52:00

A neighbour who works in the supermarket checkout asked me if I was thinking about reitiring. I told her that I had retired when I was 73, about three years ago,

She thoughjt I was at least ten years younger than I am. I put this down to the fact I colour my hair and I was wearing a mask.

pinkprincess Sat 22-Jan-22 20:20:47

I will be 78 this year and I have never described myself as ''old or elderly''.
Other people might though.

Pumpkin82 Sat 22-Jan-22 21:46:33

I think it’s based on the individual. My MIL has been elderly in my mind since 60. She is very old fashioned, I saw her as being more similar to my grandparents than my parents. I have a friend of the same age though who is absolutely not elderly, I can’t see myself thinking of her as such for many years to come. I think the differences are level of activity/mobility and the level of busyness in everyday life.

MorllEySwenseL Fri 04-Feb-22 11:31:54

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Elizabeth27 Fri 04-Feb-22 11:39:03

I think of 75 as elderly, I do not see elderly as a negative word.

Allegretto Fri 04-Feb-22 11:39:22

Regarding the warning sign for the elderly…..
My DH says he will look forward to being elderly if he is still getting his bum pinched by the ‘elderly’ woman behind him.

silverlining48 Fri 04-Feb-22 11:42:27

Blondie and Monica in the mid 70 s any pregnant first time mum over 25 had Prima gravida (sp) written across the front of her file in CAPITAL letters. I was 27 and remember it well.

silverlining48 Fri 04-Feb-22 11:43:53

Now I am 73 abd really can’t get away with middle age but can’t get my head round ‘elderly,’ even though that’s what I was 50 odd years ago,

Skydancer Fri 04-Feb-22 11:45:54

Depends how old one is. My GS thinks everyone over 20 is old.