Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

How old is elderly?

(110 Posts)
NanaJML Fri 21-Jan-22 11:52:41

My friends and I, all in mid 60's, were discussing when we will feel ready to be described "elderly". We get really p'd off when people our age are called elderly as we certainly don't feel it. And when does old age start? Any thoughts?

Ailidh Sun 30-Apr-23 06:29:19

I'm in late middle age (68) 😉. I suppose when I hit 70 I might feel old but at the minute, I can't imagine that that will feel elderly which, as others have said, has a frailness component in it somehow.

foxie48 Sun 30-Apr-23 14:30:51

In many societies an "elder" is a person who is respected for their wisdom and revered. It's only in youth obsessed cultures that the inevitable "ageing" that we all will experience (unless we are already dead) is seen in such a negative way.

Norah Sun 30-Apr-23 14:39:33

I'm elderly. Or our children are sure I'm elderly.

Their latest is to call me 'boomer' (I'm wrong age, apparently that is not important) because I'm out of touch with tech.

Oh well, elderly boomer on this side of Heaven. Good enough.

JaneJudge Sun 30-Apr-23 15:19:50

I opened this thread and saw i had posted on the first page and had no recollection of posting on it but was about to post the same as I did....I can't tell you how relieved I was to learn it was an old thread and not me losing my mind! blush

SusieB50 Sun 30-Apr-23 17:45:24

I’m 73 and classed as a “moderately frail elder “according to my GP records!! I wasn’t happy with the phrase but apparently it’s my blood pressure medication and my hip replacement surgery .
My SiL said he forgets I’m old, when the other day we were talking about upcoming holidays , and I mentioned insurance being astronomical for over 70’s
But today having spent 3 hours in my much neglected garden I feel very old 😐

grumppa Sun 30-Apr-23 18:03:38

Back in 1966, I was in an amateur production of Dick Whittington, and the opening number included the memorable lines: -

What you see on stage is
The later Middle Ages.

I have decided that I am now "later middle-aged".

Tenko Sun 30-Apr-23 18:30:11

Possibly as people are living longer , the definition of elderly has changed . I’m 64 , fit and healthy and consider myself middle aged . My DM is 87 frail with mobility issues and possibly early dementia, I consider elderly.

Jaffacake2 Sun 30-Apr-23 21:12:40

It's not your age which determines your fraility, it is the journey you have had in your life. Trauma mentally and physically age you quickly.

Grantanow Thu 11-Jan-24 18:08:15

You know you're elderly when they discontinue your blood group!